- Text Size +
Chapter 23
“Home sweet home” Callie thought as she walked through the door of her apartment.
The tour had finally come to an end and the flight back had been a long and tiring one. As sad, as she was that it was over she was happy too that she was back home and could sleep in her own bed. She dropped her stuff on the floor in her room and went to check her seven messages. The first three were sales calls and the forth one was from her mother.
“Hey honey I know that you get home today so please call me”.
Callie rolled her eyes. She knew that if she called her mom back that it would only end in a fight. She was too tired to deal with her.
“Next message” Callie said.
“Hey girl its me I am home and I miss you and de already” Tara‘s voice said. “Well I have to go now I have a late date with Kevin so I will call you tomorrow and we can go shopping or something” “bye”
Callie laughed and checked the next message.
“Hey its De call me sometime”.
Callie smiled and shook her head. “Last message”.
“Hey sweetie it’s AJ I just walked into the door of my house and I am feeling lonely without you love you talk to you tomorrow bye”.
Callie missed him and her best friends a lot and made a mental note to call them all in the morning.
“Right now I’m taking a steaming hot bath and going to bed” she thought to herself.

The next morning De woke up and yawned. She had slept like a baby. Something that only happened once in a blue moon. Today was her date with Nick. Tommarow’s date was with Johnny. After Tara had come up with the idea about deciding on which guy she should choose by the connection on a date, she had called and talked to Nick and Johnny. Both boys had understood and thought it was a great idea too. Her thoughts were interrupted by her phone ringing.
“Hello”.
“Hey De can you be ready in like a half hour” Nick’s perky voice chirped.
“Uh yeah I think so” De replied. “Where are we going”?
“It’s a surprise” He replied mischievously.
“Well can I get a hint at least” She asked. “I would like to know what would be an appropriate outfit to wear”.
“Wear whatever you want” Nick answered. “But I will tell you to bring your bathing suit”.
“Ok I can handle that” De told him.
“Ok cool I will be there in thirty minutes” Nick assured her.
“I will be waiting” she replied.
After she hung up with Nick De took a shower and dried her blonde hair with a blow dryer so that it would be nice and fluffy.
“What to wear” she thought.
She looked through her closet for something that would be perfect. She wanted to look cute and nice but not too much so that it seemed like she was trying to hard or that she was trying to impress Nick. Finally she chose a kaki squirt and a light pale shade green halter top. Just as she finished putting everything into her duffle bag there was a knock at the door.
“Coming” De called.
She walked over to the door and answered it. She was greeted by Nick who had a bouquet of red roses in his hand.
“For you ma lady” Nick said handing the flowers over to her.
De smiled. “Thanks Nick that’s so sweet of you.
She walked into the kitchen and filled a vase with water before sticking the greatly smelling roses in. She walked back into the living room where Nick was waiting and set the vase on her brown coffee table.
“Shall we go” She asked Nick.
Nick held out his arm. “We shall and I can guarantee you will have a great time”.
De smiled and took his arm in return. She couldn’t wait to see what Nick had in store for her.

Tara checked her make up and smoothed out her red skirt. Kevin had called and wanted to hang out so they had decided on going out to lunch and than coming back to her place. She heard a car door slam and ran to the front door and outside to where Kevin was. She jumped in his arms and smothered him with kisses.
“Well what did I do to deserve a welcome like that” Kevin joked.
“Just for being you” Tara told him. “I missed you so much’.
“I just saw you yesterday on our way home from the tour and I came by last night and we went to dinner” Kevin reminded her.
“I know I just love you so much” Tara said.
Kevin looked at her weird. “What’s with you”?
“Nothing can’t a girl appreciate her boyfriend” Tara asked hurt.
Kevin gave her a skeptical look. “You were reading that romance book again weren’t you”.
Tara looked at the floor. She had been reading a novel by Danielle Steele that was about a guy’s boyfriend dying. Every time she would read another chapter of that book she would cry and think what if hat was Kevin.
“Sweetie nothing bad will happen to me” He assured her squeezing her hand.
“I know’” She replied softly.
“Let’s go get lunch” Kevin told her.
Tara hopped in the car and were off.
“Where do you want to go for lunch” Kevin asked her once they peeled of her driveway.
“I don’t care its up to you” She replied.
Kevin gave her a stern look. “I don’t care where we go it’s up to you whatever you’re in the mood for”.
Tara thought about it. She was kind of hungry for buffalo wings.
“I’m in the mood for buffalo wings” She told him meekly.
“Well than we will go to BW3’s since they have the best in town”. Kevin said.
The rest of the car ride was filled with little bits of chit chat about nothing in particular.
Kevin pulled into the parking lot and jumped out to open Tara’s door.
“Such the gentleman” She teased.
He grinned and took her hand. They walked into the restaurant and ordered their food at the counter. Tara had ordered a small thing of buffalo wings and ice water while Kevin had ordered a large thing of very hot and spicy hot wings and a bud light. Once everything was ordered and they had their beeper things they found a place to sit.
“ Since when do you drink” Tara asked.
“ I am just in the mood for a beer is all” He assured her.
Tara looked at him funny but than shook her head.
“ Hi Kevin” A female voice said. Kevin turned around and saw Kristen in the booth behind theirs.
“ Hi Kristin” He replied flatly.
“ Who is this your new girlfriend” She taunted.
“ Yeah got a problem with that”? he challenged.
“ Well my new boyfriend is better than you” She sneered. “ In fact I was cheating on you Kevin with him while we were married.
Kevin’s jaw tensed.
“ And where is your new boyfriend” Tara asked her smartly. “ Is he imaginary.
Kristin glared at her and Kevin laughed.
“ No he is coming back to our table as we speak” Kristin said.
Kevin looked over and gasped “ Mark”.
“ In the flesh” He said.
“ Mark”? Tara questioned.
“ Mark was my best friend in high school” Kevin answered still keeping eye contact.
“ That was my wife and you were my best friend how could you” Kevin growled.
“ I’m sorry man it just sort of happened’. Mark defended.
Kevin stood up and Mark looked terrified. “ let’s go Kristen”.
The two walked out.
“ What in the hell was that about” Tara asked.
Before he got any chance to answer both the beepers lit up and Tara raised their hand as the waitress girl brought their stuff. Kevin practically grabbed the beer out of the girls hand startling her. In one gulp he finished the bottle.
“ I want another pronto” He barked.
Tara rolled her eyes. Lunch had been a bad idea. A very bad idea.