- Text Size +
Chapter 26
AJ watched as Kevin groaned the next morning. AJ had stayed the night in a chair by Kevin to wait for him to wake up.
“Where am I?” Kevin asked to no one in particular. He had not seen AJ yet.
“At Callie’s” AJ said flatly.
Kevin scrunched his face in confusion but than grabbed, his forehead in what AJ assumed was a bad hangover headache that hit. AJ got up from the seat and walked into the bathroom. He came back a few minutes’ later, handed Kevin two aspirins, and a glass of water.
“Thanks” He muttered as he swallowed the pills and took a swing of water.
Kevin handed AJ the cup back and AJ set it on a nearby table and sat back in the seat.
“Do you have any idea what happened last night”?
Kevin before he could reply ran into the bathroom and vomited in the toilet. AJ watched him and felt angry and no sympathy. A few minutes later Kevin finished and watched his mouth with mouth ash that was lying on the sink. Kevin walked slowly and back on the bed.
“You didn’t answer my question do you remember what happened last night,” AJ asked again”?
“I remember going out with Tara to BW3’s and seeing Kristin there” Kevin started. “Than I found out that my old buddy Mark had been the guy she was cheating on me with and I remember getting angry”.
“Do you remember anything else?” AJ asked coldly.
“No after that I draw a blank” He replied. “What is with the attitude and where is Tara”?
“I can’t believe you have no idea what you did to her last night”? AJ said shaking his head.
“What are you talking about”? Kevin asked confused.
AJ felt a pang of sympathy for him. He really had no idea that he had just destroyed the best thing in his life.
Kevin looked at him. “Well where is my girlfriend”?
AJ told Kevin the entire story of what Tara had told him. By the time he was done, Kevin had a blank look.
“I couldn’t have done that,” He finally stated.
“Kevin you did do that” AJ said. “You just don’t remember because you were trashed.
Kevin jumped off the bed. “No I would never hurt her”.
AJ stared at Kevin. He honestly looked sincere. “Look Kevin the fact is that you did do that”.
Kevin’s eyes filled with panic. “I have got to talk to her”.
“That is not a good idea right now,” AJ told him.
“But I have to AJ” He yelled. “I need to”.
“Not right now” AJ said.
Kevin walked out of the bedroom and out to the living room. He saw his keys lying on the counter. He grabbed them and ran out the door.
“Wait don’t go” AJ yelled running after him.

Callie sipped her hot mug of hot chocolate and rubbed her eyes. She had hardly slept a wink the night before. She had been so wound up about what was happening with Tara. Callie thought back to the conversation with De. De had been furious and had hunted down her infamous baseball bat. It had taken an hour and a half to convince De not to touch Kevin. But Callie knew better than to assume that De would not touch him the next time she saw him.
“Morning” Tara said breaking Callie from her thoughts.
“Good morning how did you sleep”?
Tara shrugged. “Ok could have been worse but I have slept better”.
“Would you like something to eat”? “I can make you anything you want” Callie offered.
“I am not hungry,” She said softly.
“You need to eat” Callie advised.
“I’m not hungry right now maybe later”. Tara answered.
Callie nodded not wanting to push.
The doorbell rang and Tara stiffened.
Callie as she walked by her gave her a reassuring squeeze. “I am sure it’s not him and if it is I won’t let him in.
Callie opened the door and smiled. “Hey”.
De walked in and rushed over to Tara. “Are you ok”?
“Yeah” Tara told her.
“That son of bitch will pay” De growled. “I got out the heaviest of my thirty five bats”.
Tara smiled for the first time sine before the incident. “Thanks but I don’t want you to touch him”.
“I am going to because he hurt one of my best friends so it’s personal,” She told her.
Both Callie and Tara knew that when De set her mind to something there was no stopping her.
Suddenly the door swung open and AJ ran in breathless.
“What’s wrong” Callie asked him.
AJ struggled to catch his breath. “Kevin….Talk….Tara”.
Tara’s eyes bugged out and she started shaking from fright.
“I don’t want to se him please keep him away”.
It was too late Kevin walked in. He looked like hell. He was still wearing the clothes from the previous night and had the morning’s stubble.
“I need to talk to you,” he said looking in the direction of Tara.
“Get out of my apartment” Callie told him angrily.
De ran out of the apartment and Callie was sure that she went to the car to get the bat.
“I don’t want to talk to you Kevin,” Tara said not meeting his gaze.
“Please just hear me out for five minutes,” Kevin pleaded.
“No I don’t want to talk to you and I don’t want to see you so get out Kevin,” she warned.
It was quiet and finally Tara looked up at Kevin.
Kevin’s eyes suddenly got wide and a few tear droplets fell down his cheek. Tara looked to see what it was that he was looking at and noticed that her sleeves had gone up while she was sleeping exposing the black and blue bruises. She quickly pulled the sleeves down and looked away.
Before anything was said De came back and stated swinging the thirty-five pound bat at him. Kevin ducked and De continued to miss.
“You basterd how dare you”. She screamed.
“Get her away,” Kevin said.
AJ sighed and picked up De to take her out of the room but before she was taken away she got a good hit on his knees.
“Ouch” He cried falling.
“That’s nothing compared to the pain you but her through”.
AJ carried De to the other room while she screamed and cursed at AJ. Callie followed close behind.
Tara backed away a little farther once she realized that she was alone with just Kevin.
“Please don’t be afraid,” He whispered getting up.
She backed away farther. “Get out now”.
“Please just listen for a minute” He started.
“Get out now” Tara screamed at the top of her lungs.
AJ, Callie and De all came out.
“Come on Kevin let’s go” AJ told him shoving him out the door.
“But” he started.
“That’s enough Kevin let’s go” AJ said louder.
Once they were gone De and Callie walked over to her and gave her a hug. She sobbed. After a few minutes she stopped.
“I’M Ok,” she whispered.
“I am so sorry,” De, told her.
Callie walked over to the counter and made Tara a cup of hot chocolate.
“Here you go,” She said handing her the steaming mug.
“Thanks but I should be going I have over stayed my welcome” Tara said getting up.
“Sit your skinny ass back down and drink this,” Callie commanded.
Tara immediately sat back down. “Don’t you have plans for today”?
“No I actually didn’t” Callie replied.
“I am going to stay here and hang out with you guys if that’s ok,” She said.
“Don’t you have your date with Johnny today”? Callie asked her.
“Shit that is right” De said smacking her palm to her forehead. She whipped out her cell phone.
“What are you doing”? Tara asked her.
“I am calling and canceling” She replied.
“No you can’t,” She cried.
“Uh yeah I can and I’m going to,” De said dialing.
Tara walked over to her and took the cell phone away.
“Hey”.
“I want you to go on your date today”.
“I am needed here with you though,” De argued.
“I appreciate the offer and all but think about it you won’t help the situation by canceling and will be sad that you couldn’t go plus I will feel bad that you canceled because of me so go”. Tara explained.
“ Are you sure”? De asked. “ I would feel bad”.
“ Yes I am positive” Tara assured her.
“ Well ok than I better get home to change” De shrugged. She gave Tara a quick hug. “ I will be back later”.
“ Ok have fun” Tara called as De walked to the door.
“ Yeah we want details later” Callie said.
De flashed them a smile and rolled her eyes as the door closed behind her.