- Text Size +
Chapter 35
“Uh Kevin what just happened here” Tara asked once the loud sound of the elevator stopping had come quieted.
“Looks like the electricity went out” Kevin replied.
The only light in the whole elevator was the dimly lit emergency light. Tara looked over at Kevin and could tell that he was looking at her so she quickly looked away.
“How are we going to get out of here“? She asked.
“I am not sure” Kevin admitted. “Since the electricity is out we have to wait till it comes back on there is nothing else that can be done”.
“Help” Tara cried pounding on the doors.
“Its not going to help no one can hear us so save your breath” Kevin told her calmly.
“Well how about if I start pressing random buttons” Tara offered pressing every button there was. Nothing happened.
“Like I said before it won’t work till the electricity is back on” Kevin answered.
“So what are we supposed to do now”? She whined.
Kevin sat down and looked up at her. “We sit and wait”.

“Where are they” Callie asked.
They were all sitting at a table that had been reserved just for them.
“It shouldn’t take those twenty minutes to get a purse”.
“ Maybe the limo left before she got the chance to get it so Kevin and her are trying to track it down by calling the place from the lobby” De offered.
“Yeah maybe” Callie agreed.
The both knew better than anyone that Tara was known for being forgetful and than not resting till she had it back.
“I hope your right” Will piped in.
“I am not real comfortable with her being with Kevin right now”.
Callie was starting to take a very bad disliking to Will. She could tell that De and everyone else in the group was to by the looks that he was receiving and the fact that De looked about ready to throw her silverware at him.
The awards ceremony thing was getting ready to start and as Callie looked back at the door she hoped that Kevin and Tara weren’t in any trouble.

“This is so boring” Tara complained.
“Yeah it is” Kevin replied.
It seemed like hours had gone by and nothing was happening. Tara was sure that the awards thing had already started and she hoped that her friends realized that they were in trouble.
“It so hot in here” Kevin muttered taking off his tux jacket and loosening his tie.
Tara gulped. “He looks so fine like that” she thought licking her lips.
“You really look pretty tonight” Kevin told her.
“Thanks” She replied blushing a little.
Suddenly they both heard voices. They were very distant but they were sure.
Kevin and Tara both stood up and started pounding on the door.
“Help” they called in unison.
“Are there people in the elevator” A male voice asked faintly.
“Yes” Tara yelled back.
“Ok the elevator is disfunctioning and we just called someone to repair it and we will get you out as soon as we can” the voice replied.
Kevin and Tara smiled up at each other and sat back down.

“Ok where are they already” De whispered into Callie’s ear.
The ceremony had long since started and both girls were starting to get real nervous.
“Want to make an exit and see if we can go find them” Callie asked.
“Well from looking at the program Orlando won’t be receiving his award for another hour so why not”. De replied.
Callie lightly touched AJ’s shoulder to get his attention and whispered into his ear the plan. He nodded and kissed her cheek.
Callie and De slowly walked out into the hallway.
“Ok so where do we start” Callie asked.
“Let’s start at the lobby”.

Kevin and Tara sat in silence in the elevator. Neither one knew what to say to the other. They were playing the childish game of sneaking glances when the other wasn’t looking. Finally Kevin couldn’t stand the uncomfortable silence and said the first thing that came to his mind.
“I still love you”.
“I still love you too” She said.
“Than why can’t we be together”? He asked.
“Because we just can’t” she sighed.
“Is it because I raped you”? He asked softly.
Tara didn’t say anything at first which told Kevin what he wanted to know. Finally she allowed herself to look at him.
“Look Kevin it’s in the past and I really don’t want to talk about it”.
“Well that’s tough because we are going to talk about it” He told her firmly.
Tara got angry “Look Kevin it’s a sore subject for me and I don’t want to discuss it”.
“That too bad because I want to talk about it” He replied. “We never got that cleared up by talking about it”.
“I know” she whispered.
“You never gave me the chance to explain or apologize and since we have that as unfinished business I can’t seem to attempt to put it behind me”.
“Me neither” She said.
“See we both need to talk about it as painful as its going to be for both of us” “I want to put it behind me and I know that you want to do the same”.
“Ok” She finally agreed. “So who wants to go first”?
“I will “Kevin said.
Tara faced him and waited for him to talk.
“What I did that night was stupid and inexcusable” Kevin started.
“Seeing one of my best friends with Kristin and knowing that was the guy that she cheated on me with sent me over the edge”. “I went overboard on the drinking”.
“You can say that again” Tara replied bitterly as she remembered practically carrying him out.
“The sad thing is I don’t remember what happened” he continued. “The only thing I know about it is what AJ told me”
Tara looked away. As the all too familiar night started playing inside her head once again.
“I am really so sorry for everything and if I could go back in time and fix it I would”. He told her sincerely.
Tara could feel her self at the edge of tears.
“I will never forgive myself for what I did” Kevin told her sadly.
The next few minutes were full of an awkward silence and when Tara looked at him again she saw tears flowing freely down his cheeks. She took that as her opportunity to talk.
“It really blew me away that you could do something like that to me” Tara started. “You had promised me that you would never hurt me especially like Matt had and than it happened”. “I never thought you of all people would get drunk and end up doing such a horrible thing”.
Kevin sniffled and wiped the tears cascading down his face as she continued.
“It hurt to look at you that are why I refused to see you or have anything to do with you”. “Than I realized with us being a group and all I decided it would be best to get away so I wouldn’t have to worry about running into you before I was ready”.
“I knew that was why”. Kevin said.
“There was another reason that I left and that was to decide whether I could forgive you and salvage what was left of the relationship”.
“I guess you decided against it” Kevin commented.
“Actually I met Will like the second day there so he was like a way for me not to think about it which honestly I didn’t”.
“Wow” Kevin commented.
“Kevin I know that you aren’t really like that and it was the alcohol and I know you are sincere with your apology so I forgive you”.
“Thank you” He exclaimed giving her a big hug.
“I have to admit I do feel a lot better” She said.
“I told you” he replied. “But we still have one other matter to discuss”.
“What’s that”? She asked.
“The issue of taking me back” he answered.
“Kevin” she started.
“Please Tara I am begging you I miss you so much and watching you with Will and the fact that I am just your friend is killing me”.
“I want to be with you too but I can’t just break up with Will like that”.
“Yes you can” Kevin urged.
Before Tara got the chance to answer the lights flashed back on and the elevator started moving back down.
The doors opened and dinged and Kevin and Tara were greeted by Callie and De.
“Thank god you guys are all right” Callie cried giving each a hug.
“Yeah we are fine” Kevin assured her.
“Well we better get back I don’t want to miss Orlando get his Award” De told them.
The four decided to take the stairs and made there way back to the ballroom just as Orlando was called to the stage to receive his plaque.
As the four took there seats Tara noticed Will flirting with the girl at the next table.
“I would like to thank my parents and my friends and most importantly my girlfriend De” He said.
Everyone awed and a slight blush crept across her cheeks.
“Could you please come up here” He asked looking at her with a smile.
She slowly got up and walked to the stage. Orlando grabbed her hand and held it up.
“Isn’t she a beauty folks”?
The audience all clapped and the guys and especially Tara and Callie got a kick out of watching her blush with embarrassment.
“Now to get down to business on why I asked her to join me on stage tonight I wanted to ask her something”.
He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a black box.
De I know that we really haven’t been together all that long but I love you and I want to be with you forever” He started.
He got down on his knees and opened the black box to reveal a gorgeous Diamond ring.
“Will you marry me”?
A few tears started to make its way down her face as she took the microphone from his hand.
“Yes”.
The audience broke into a deafening applause as Orlando jumped up and laid a passionate kiss before picking her up and swinging her around nearly knocking over the podium.

Once over the group was all in the limo with a bottle of Champaign ready to celebrate. They had decided to go over to Orlando’s for a party.
“ I want to propose a toast to the newly engaged couple may you have many happy years together and Orlando if you hurt her in anyway and don’t take care of her you will have to answer to me” Nick warned.
De smacked him in the chest.
As they arrived at Orlando’s Tara got out first and waited for Will to get out. When he did she pulled him aside.
“I need to talk to you”?
“Ok what is it”? He asked.
“This isn’t really working and I think we are better off being friends” She told him.
“Yeah I figured that’s what you wanted to say and I had feeling it was about to happen” He told her. “I know that it isn’t working and I agree that we should be friends”.
“I am glad that you understand” Tara told him.
“I know that you want to be with Kevin and frankly have a few girls that I am really interested in”. “It was nice while it lasted”.
“Yeah it was” She agreed.
Tara gave him a quick hug and watched as he got in the limo and it drove away. She walked into the house to join the rest of the group.
“Where were you just now” De asked as she saw her walk in.
“Taking care of something” She responded with a smile.
“Where is Will”?
“Gone” she replied with a shrug.
De grinned and gave her a quick wink. “Go find him”.
Tara smiled back and walked into the living room and sat by Kevin who was sitting on the couch talking to Howie.
“Kevin I need to tell you something”. She said.
“Ok what is it?” he asked.
“Not here” She said taking his hand and pulling him up leading him to the foyer.
“So”? He asked.
Tara gave him the most passionate kiss of her life and when they parted he looked confused.
“What was that all about”?
“I want you back Kevin”. “I want to start over”.
“What about Will” He asked.
“Its over I broke it off”. She replied with a shrug.
Kevin grinned and gave her a big hug.
“So its official we are dating again”.
“Yep” She said.
Kevin dipped her and gave her another big kiss. They were interrupted by a bunch of awes and applause.
Both looked up to see the whole group watching them from the door.
‘How much did you guys hear” Kevin asked.
“All of it” De answered matter o factly. “I knew that’s what Tara had in mind when she walked in so I had to tell everyone”.
Tara rolled her eyes.
“ This means the group is back together again” AJ exclaimed putting his arm around Callie.
“ Yep and it will always be that way” Kevin said.
And from than on everyone lived happily ever after. At least that’s what hope happened.

The End