- Text Size +
“ How is she?” Max asked as he entered the hospital. Kevin was standing in the hall running his fingers threw his hair.
“ Resting. She’s got an infection, it was caused by that cut. They are treating it with antibiotics and rest, I don’t know how long she’ll be here. But the doctor said that if I hadn’t gone there when I did she could have died.”
“ I told her that cut didn’t look right it was red and puffy. Here I brought these for her.” Max said handing the bouquet of flowers to Kevin, smiled and took them from him.
“ She’ll like those. You’re a good friend to her.” Kevin said sitting down in the chair just outside the room.
“ She’s a good person. Let her know I stopped by I’ll come back later.” Max said leaving the hospital. Kevin walked back into the room and sat the flowers onto the stand near the bed and sat down.
“ Come on baby girl, you need to get better. I’ve fallen head over heals in love with you and I want you to be there for me and be with me forever.” Kevin said holding her hand and kissing it. Samantha’s eye’s opened and she looked at him, he could still see she was very weak.
“ Hi.” She said touching his face. Kevin smiled and kissed her lips.
“ Hi, how are you feeling?”
“ Very tired and weak.” She said looking at him. Kevin turned to see the doctor entering the room.
“ What’s the news doc?” Kevin asked looking up at him.
“ Miss Moore, the infection has done a lot of damage especially to your heart. It has weakened quiet a bit which is the reason your feeling very tired. The blood isn’t pumping right.” The doctor explained as genteelly as he could.
“ Will she be alright?” Kevin asked looking at him.
“ For now she’s on antibiotics, bed rest and Miss Moore you’re going to have to take some time away from work.”
“ How much time?” Samantha asked looking at him. “ This is my living you’re talking about.”
“ Until we can get this infection under control, you aren’t to return to work until I release you.”
“ Alright, when can I go home?” Samantha asked, she closed her eyes and slowed her breathing.
“ I’d say in a few days. But it’s bed rest even there you can’t be running around. Your not allowed to drive, have someone come over and help you. Do you have any family in the area?”
“ No I don’t.” Samantha said opening her eyes again.
“ She’ll be staying with me.” Kevin said running his finger over Samantha’s cheek.
“ Alright that will be fine. Before you are released I must talk to Mr. Richardson.”
“ That’s fine.” Samantha said closing her eyes. Kevin leaned forward and kissed her forehead.
“ I’ll be right back.” Kevin said leaving the room with the doctor.


“ Officially how bad is she?”
“ Officially very bad. I don’t want to scare her right now but we may have to set her up for a heart transplant. The infection has done some major damage to her heart.”
“ She’s very sick?” Kevin asked.
“ She’s very weak, I’d rather keep her here till we could find her a transplant but I don’t want to scare her right now. She’s healthy enough to go home I say she can do so tomorrow. But you must keep her from doing any hard tasks. A walk is fine. But she can not work. And I want your promise that she wont return to work.”
“ I promise it. She’s got a nice large house I’ll make sure that she’s taken care of.”
“ Mr. Richardson, I must tell you in her weakened state her immune system is working on over drive. It’s not fighting anything. The common cold could kill her at this point. If you have any friends that are ill keep them away from her for now. At least till we can get this infection under control.”
“ I will. Thank you. Please if the transplant is ready for her and she’s at home call this number I’ll have her down here immediately.”
“ Alright thank you Mr. Richardson, right now she needs all the rest she can get.” The doctor said jotting a few more notes down on the chart and then leaving it in the slot outside the door.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kevin watched Samantha make her way threw her home slowly. He could see she hated being home and she wasn’t afraid to tell him that.
“ Kevin can’t we go out?” Samantha asked for the umpteenth time in that hour.
“ No, you where told bed rest and I am going to follow the doctors orders. Now either go lay down on the couch or back to bed with you missy.” Kevin said. Samantha dropped down onto the couch and pulled the blanket up, she was shivering she didn’t understand why she was cold or the fact that she felt like she had been drained of all energy. It had been nearly two weeks since she was released from the hospital and she still felt as if she was still in there. Kevin came out with some hot soup and a nice cup of tea.
“ Are we having any visitors today?” She asked as he sat the soup and tea in front of her.
“ Could be possible. But it’s only if they are feeling good.”
“ Why are you so worried about me getting sick? I can’t feel any worse than I already do.” Samantha admitted.
“ I know, but it’s doctors orders babe. I wish it was different. I’ll call the doctor later and see if maybe you can go out for a while. Maybe later we will take a walk on the beach.” He said sitting behind her, his arms wrapping around her shaking body.
“ Cold?” He asked her.
“ A little. But I’ll be fine. That would be nice to be able to go out later. I love you.” Samantha said kissing his lips softly. He hated seeing her feeling this way but he rather have her around than not at all.
“ Ok. How about you take a nap and I’ll call the doc?” Kevin said looking into her sleepy eyes.
“ Yeah. But do I have to go to bed?”
“ Nope right here is fine.” He said kissing her forehead. Kevin waited till she had gotten herself comfortable and finally went to sleep then he picked up the phone and called the doctor.
“ Doctor Millers Office.”
“ Yes this is Kevin Richardson I need to speak to doctor Miller about Samantha Moore.”
“ One moment Mr. Richardson.” The nurse said. Kevin waited and then Dr. Miller answered the phone.
“ What can I do for you today Mr. Richardson? How is our patient?” He asked knowing that Kevin was as concerned for Samantha as he was.
“ She’s resting right now, but she’s getting restless and wants to get out of the house. Is it alright if I take her for a nice walk on the beach?”
“ Sure. She can leave the house for a few hours. Have some healthy friends come over and visit. We are still waiting for the transplant. The minuet her name comes up on the list and there is a match I’ll call.”
“ Thanks.” Kevin said “ Bye.” Kevin said hanging up. He looked down at the woman sleeping in his arms and held her close. He was so close to being able to lose her. Kevin decided to call AJ first.
“ Hello?”
“ Hey J.” Kevin said.
“ Hey Kev, what do I owe the pleasure?”
“ How are you feeling?”
“ Healthy and clean why?” AJ asked hating the fact he was being grilled.
“ Honestly the reason I’m asking is because the only people I can allow to come over to see Sam are people that are healthy.”
“ I am healthy, and like I said clean. I was in rehab for a while again having the help with the drinking. But it’s all good now. Can I come over?”
“ Sure, I’ll call a couple of the others and see how their feeling.”
“ Howie’s caught a cold.”
“ Then till he’s healthy he can’t come over.” Kevin said sternly. “ But I’ll call and speak to him anyways.”
“ Ok. I’ll be over soon.” AJ said hanging up. Kevin hung up and called Howie next sure enough when Howie answered the phone it told the tale of the sick man.
“ Oh dude you sound like shit.” Kevin said with a chuckle.
“ Yeah bite me Kev. What’s up?” Howie said
“ I was going to ask you to come over and visit Sam but since your sick you can’t.”
“ Maybe in a few days. But thanks for thinking of me. How’s she feeling?”
“ She’s restless and hates being stuck in the house. She’s tired and still very weak. I still haven’t told her everything the doctor said.”
“ You gotta tell her man. She’ll probably be mad at you for a bit but it’s better than losing her to your stubbornness.”
“ Yeah I know. I am going to tell her today.”
“ Ok. Well I am going back to bed. Talk to you later Kev.”
“ Bye D.” Kevin said hanging up. He made calls to the other members, Nick was out of town and Brian was visiting Leighanne at a movie shoot or something he wasn’t sure. He then called Max and Max was feeling good and was on his way over. Kevin watched Samantha sleep and then finally woke her.
“ Hey babe.”
“ Yeah?” She moaned opened her eyes.
“ We’ve got guests coming over. AJ and Max.”
“ Cool. What was the verdict with the doc?”
“ You can take a walk on the beach. And he said that as long as your progressing and he gets the call for the transplant.”
“ You know about the heart transplant?” She asked looking at him. Kevin looked at her strangely wondering who had told her.
“ Yep, and I am guessing the nurse told you?”
“ I had to sign the papers baby. I know why you’ve been treating me like glass. Baby I’m going to be here for a very long time.” Samantha said touching his face.
“ I know. I am just scared. What the doctor said and it scares me more than anything.”
“ I know, boy do I know.” Samantha said holding him close.