- Text Size +
Samantha sat in her living room. She looked around her home and saw the gifts Kevin had given her, a new chair and some new furniture he said her home looked to lonely. And she had to admit with the new stuff it did. But she hated him giving her gifts, he had even bought a new couch since she seemed to be staying away from the one she had. She picked up the phone and dialed her friend.
“ Hi.” She said.
“ Hey girl.”
“ How are you doing Max?”
“ I am doing good, home alone tonight?”
“ Yeah, Kevin had something to do with the band. I am hoping he isn’t killing AJ.”
“ He shouldn’t be. Didn’t he promise you three weeks ago he wouldn’t?”
“ Yeah he did. But I don’t know if AJ might do something stupid.”
“ Not like the boy didn’t already, honey if I had had the chance I would have beaten that boy to a pulp myself. You where so upset after that by the way how’s the hand?”
“ Sore, but it’s healing nicely.” Samantha said looking at her wounded hand, even in the three weeks she wondered why it hadn’t healed better but she knew part of it was because she had worked with it so soon after it had been hurt.
“ Well that’s cause you kept using it. Your so bad.” Max said giggling.
“ Yes I am.” Samantha giggled. Samantha stopped and dropped the phone.
“ Sam? Sam?” Max said into the phone. “ Shit.” Max muttered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Kevin arrived at Samantha’s at the planned time and noticed that her lights where on and Jazzy was whining loudly. He bent down to pick up the terrified cat only to have Jazzy run into the living room. Kevin walked into the living room to find Samantha laying on the floor, her eyes closed and her lips a light blue. Kevin dropped to his knees next to her, touching her face he noticed how cold it was. Leaning down he checked for breathing and then grabbed his cell phone calling an ambulance. He sat there on the floor next to her, he brushed her hair out of her face and looked around. He could tell that she had been alone and then saw the phone laying on the floor.
“ Hello?” Kevin said waiting for an answer.
“ Kevin?” Max said.
“ Max?”
“ Is Sam alright?”
“ I found her unconscious ion the floor. Her lips are blue and she’s breathing but it’s shallow. Why didn’t you hang up and call someone?”
“ I did, I had assumed they’d be here by now.” Max said.
“ How could you have called and still be on the line?”
“ The advantages of a cell phone. Please tell me she’s alright.”
“ I don’t know. Does she have any health problems she hasn’t told me about?”
“ I’ve only known her as long as you have, if she has anything it’s news to me and everyone we work with.”
“ Well I’ll let you know, paramedics are here.” Kevin said hanging up. He waited and followed the paramedics out to the ambulance.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“ Kevin what was so urgent?” Brian asked as he rushed into the hospital.
“ Sam.”
“ What about her?”
“ Remember when she got cut?” Kevin asked looking at him.
“ Yeah, she needed like ten stitches didn’t she?”
“ Yeah she did, it seemed she had gotten an infection, seems it got into her blood and to her heart.” Kevin said looking at Brian, Brian could see the absolute terror of losing someone he cared deeply for.
“ How bad?” Brian asked having Kevin sit down.
“ They aren’t sure. It seems she was on the phone with Max, and he said she suddenly went silent and I found her unconscious on her floor. The doctor says that she may have had a sesure before I arrived. She was breathing but it was shallow and her skin was cold to the touch. The doctor said if she had been there alone much longer we could have lost her. I could have lost her.” Kevin said looking at his cousin, tears in his eyes. “ This isn’t fair. She’s so happy, and I love her Brian. I truly love her.” Kevin cried. Brian held his cousin close and looked up as the doctor entered the room.
“ She’s resting right now, we’ve begun her on antibiotics and are running several tests.”
“ Will she be alright?” Kevin asked looking up.
“ We aren’t sure what kind of damage the infection has done. It seems to have been going threw her blood stream for some time. How long has she had that cut?”
“ Maybe three weeks. She got hurt at work cutting her hand chopping vegetables if I recall. But I watched them clean it in the emergency room.” Kevin said looking at the doctor.
“ Could have been something in the blade that did it or the vegetables she was chopping it’s too soon to tell.” The doctor explained.
“ Can I see her?”
“ Sure, as per to your request we’ve placed her in a private room so you can visit her now if you’d like.” The doctor said leading the two men down the hall.
“ Will she recover? She’s a chef and will hate not being able to do her work.” Kevin said looking at the doctor as they stood in the doorway.
“ She should. If there is any damage it will be minor and can be monitored with medication. Just be happy at the moment that she’s alive and you are the ones that found her.” The doctor said touching Kevin’s arm. Kevin nodded and headed into the room. Samantha lay with her arms at her sides, a machine beeping beside her. Kevin sat down and took Samantha’s hand in his and kissed it. Samantha moaned and then opened her eyes slowly.
“ Hey there. You scared me.” Kevin said looking into her eyes.
“ Sorry.” Samantha said smiling weakly at him. It made her heart skip a beat to think he was waiting for her to wake up.
“ Hey it’s ok. Why didn’t you tell me you weren’t feeling well?”
“ I didn’t want to worry you.” She said closing her eyes again. She was feeling really tired.
“ To late. Don’t worry you’ll be fine. Get some rest I’ll be here when you wake up again.” Kevin said sweetly. He watched her eyes close and then watched her body relax.