- Text Size +
Chapter 10

Nicks mind was still spinning when he pulled his car out of the drive way of his cabin. He had yet to come to grips with what had just happened. It had all happened so fast that he never had a chance to stop himself, not that he would have wanted to. The only reason why Amy was different was because she was a fan. She knew who he was and she knew that if she was to say anything to anyone it could potentially ruin his career. It had to be done, Nick assured himself. Nick sighed, wondering when he would have the time to come back and bury Amy. Her body lay where it had when he shot her.

He knew that he couldn’t stay because he wouldn’t have enough time to complete everything. Nick gripped the wheel as he had when he was driving to the cabin. He silently hoped that Naomi hadn’t woken up. He would have to explain why he had left the room only to return. His mind began to wander, hoping to come across an idea if there be a need for one, he couldn’t go back into that hotel room without it. His entire night would be jeopardized. He would loose his alibi. He already had to risk the fact that he may have been recognized at the club where he had picked up Amy.

He could always say that he just went for a walk to think about things, which wouldn’t be a complete lie since he had spent at least a little amount of time thinking about what had happened between him and Naomi. At least if he told her that he was thinking and returned, she wouldn’t suspect that anything was wrong. The fact that she would know that he would have left would compromise his alibi but hopefully, it wouldn’t come down to that.

Sighing, Nick glanced towards the passenger seat, checking to make sure that Amy hadn‘t left anything behind. He hadn’t seen anything in her hands but there was a possibility that he could have missed it. Satisfied that he saw nothing, he turned his eyes back to the road. He decided that if the need be, he would just tell Naomi that he went for a walk but didn’t want to go back to his room without at least leaving a note. Upon further contemplation, Nick realized that he might be able to get away with the night. When or if Naomi awoke upon his return, he could simply tell her that he had just stepped out and was returning to leave a note. That would work perfectly.

Then again, he really shouldn’t be too worried about what Naomi thought of him. She was probably just using him to help jump start her career. If people saw them together, they would find out who she was and before either of them knew it, her name would be all over the place. Instant free publicity. Part of him wasn’t convinced with that idea. She might be truly trying to form some sort of relationship.

That didn’t matter to him any more. He was going to have to do what he had initially planed to do. He was going to have to kill her. She wasn’t deserving of life. If he had to question her motives then she wasn’t pure. It would be his job to take her off of this planet, to, in essence, rid the world of all of the undesired garbage that sometimes makes it into this world. Naomi would just be the beginning of it all. She would be the second in his chain of this cleansing of the world. Nick opened the door to Naomi’s hotel room. He uttered a silent thank you when he saw that she was still fast asleep. In fact, it appeared as if she hadn’t even moved since he left. He walked towards her sleeping form. She looked so peaceful, but as Nick had learned, looks can be deceiving.

“Hey, Naomi,” Nick said softly as he lightly shook Naomi’s shoulder. She groaned and rolled onto her other side. Nick sighed and attempted to nudge her again, this time with a little more force. “Naomi.”

“Hmmm?” she mumbled as she stretched her arms out. Seconds later, her eyes fluttered opened. She smiled at Nick. “Where you off to?”

“I’m going back to my room. The guys are probably going to be looking for me in the morning and if I stay down here, I might never want to get up,” he replied. She sighed.

“Do you really have to go?” she questioned, pouting slightly.

“Yeah,” he replied, “but I promise I’ll see you tomorrow. How’s that?”

“Sounds good.” He smiled at her and turned to leave the room. “Good night Nick,” Naomi called when Nick reached the door knob. He turned back to face her.

“Good night,” he replied as he stepped out of the room. He shut the door and headed quickly to the stair case. It was late and he knew that none of the other guys would be awake but he still wanted to return to his room as quickly as possible. Running up the stairs, he searched his pockets for the key to his room. Once he reached his floor, he still hadn’t retrieved his key. Nervously, he started to pat himself down, hoping to come across the pocket that contained the key to his hotel room. Nick pulled his car keys out of his pocket, along with the contents of every pocket and found nothing.

“Fuck,” Nick muttered to himself. He had to find that key. “I hope it didn’t fall out of my pocket at the club,” Nick whispered to himself as he covered his face with his hands. If that’s where it was, he was fucked. The police would trace it back to him and then he would have more attention than he ever wanted. The damn reporters that would come along with all of this would make his life so much harder, which was something that he didn’t need at the moment.

Nick uncovered his face and walked back towards the staircase. He was hoping that maybe his key had fallen out of his pocket as he scrambled up the stairs. Upon entering the stair case, Nick looked down at the floor and walked down until he reached the floor that Naomi was staying on. He looked up. He was going to have to go back into her room to look for his key. It wouldn’t be weird if he found it in there. After all, they had become quite reckless. He sighed as he entered her floor. If his key wasn’t there, he was going to have to explain why it wasn’t. He could always say that he must have left it in his room but hotel personnel wouldn’t be pleased if the key wasn’t returned. Then again, what did he care? This probably happened all the time and they wouldn’t think anything of it.

He nodded his head, that would work. He had no idea why he was letting himself get so worked up over something that was so simple. When he reached Naomi’s room, he quietly turned the knob, knowing that it wasn’t locked since he hadn’t locked it on his way out. Quietly, he shut the door and looked towards Naomi.

“Back already?” she questioned, half asleep.

“My room key fell out of my pocket, it’s gotta be in here since I didn’t go any place else,” he said to her. She looked at him.

“So turn on the light and look for it. Like you said, it has to be here some where,” she replied. He smiled at her. She jumped from the bed and pulled an oversized t-shirt from her bag and pulled it over her head.

“I’m sorry about waking you up before,” Nick stated as he turned on the light. “I didn’t want you to think that I was an ass and just leave you here without saying anything.”

“It’s alright Nick,” she responded as she sat back down on the bed. “I’m glad that you woke me up. If I’d waken up in the morning and you weren’t there I would have felt pretty damn stupid.”

“Why’s that?” Nick questioned as he started to slowly walk around the room, looking on the floor for his key.

“Because then I would have been right about you,” she replied softly. “I didn’t want to be right you know.”

“Right about what?” he asked, looking up at her.

“That you’re just about one night stands,” she replied, her voice shaking. “When I met you last night, I was totally taken back. I’ve seen you on TV before and stuff but I didn’t know who you really were. All I knew was the things that everyone said. And this just isn’t about you, it’s about anyone who has some success. I wanted them to be wrong Nick and they were, at least about you.”

“Wait, was this whole thing just some kind of test?” he asked, surprisingly angry about what he was hearing. Part of him had expected something like this. He should have known that this was coming.

“Kind of,” she said with a hurt sigh. “When I looked into your eyes last night I knew that you were different. I… what happened here, wasn’t planned. It just kinda… well you know… happened. I never planned on having sex with you so soon. I’m never really like that. I’ve always been the one that waited until it was right, but with you, I don’t know, there was something really different about you.”

“Yeah I’m sure. I was your meal ticket wasn’t I, Naomi?”

“No, it was never like that,” she defended. “I couldn’t care less what your name is or what you do with your life. There was something about your personality that attacked me to you. I never wanted or dreamed of taking advantage of you. You have to believe me on that.”

“That’s kind of hard to believe considering what you just told me.”

“Nick, please. I’m being completely honest with you from the beginning. I don’t want you to hear shit from other people and get the wrong impression of me. That’s the last thing that I ever want to happen. I’m telling you now what I was thinking because I want to have some sort or relationship with you, even if it’s just a friendship, and in order to do that, I’ve got to be completely honest with you.”

“Fine,” Nick replied, a small satisfied grin appearing on his face when he spotted his keys. “We’ll talk tomorrow, okay? ‘Cause right now, I’ve really got to get some sleep.”

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow then,” she replied. Nick nodded and shut off the light as he exited the room.