- Text Size +
Chapter 11

Nick shut the door to his hotel room. AJ had just called him to remind him that they had a meeting with the record company. He’d almost completely forgotten about it with everything that had happened the night before. Too many things had happened and his mind was still filled with questions and worries. Everything hadn’t been resolved. He would have to tie up all of the loose ends within the next couple of days before he came across any problems.

“Almost thought that you weren’t coming,” AJ joked as he opened his hotel room door and saw Nick standing in the hallway. Nick looked at AJ and sneered at him.

“I didn’t know that was an option,” he replied. “Maybe I should go back into my room and get some more sleep.” AJ smirked.

“I’m assuming that you’re date with Naomi went well.”

“Ha, I wish,” Nick replied. AJ looked at him questioningly.

“What happened?”

“She was just using me. I guess I should have none better. A beautiful young woman in the music business, of course she wouldn’t really be interested in me for the kind of person that I am.”

“How’d you find out that she was just using you?” AJ asked as he started walking towards the elevator. Nick sighed and started walking with him.

“She told me,” he answered.
“Shit, that’s different. They usually wait until they get some fame before they even think about telling you. How‘d she tell you? Did she just up and say it or did you like find that some things were weird.”

“I woke her up when I was leaving because I knew I had to go back to my room, that you guys would be looking for me this morning. I left but I forgot my key so I went back and we started talking again. She started telling me that she was glad that I woke her up because she thought I was this fuck and run guy from rumors that people started. One thing lead to another and she said that she basically believed them and shit. Our whole date last night was just her way of finding out if they were right or not,” he explained.

“Ouch,” AJ remarked. “From the looks of it, I thought that you really liked that chick. It’s too bad, she was pretty fucking hot.”

“I told her I would talk to her today, but I don’t think I have anything more to say to her,” Nick continued.

“So forget about it. Don’t waste your fuckin’ time talkin to her. Do something fun tonight and forget all about her ya know?”

“I’m just so sick of people like her. They are driving me fucking crazy.”

“You’re not the only one, man. They get to all of us at times. You just gotta deal with it ‘cause they aren’t goin any where. Where the fuck is the damn elevator?” AJ hissed as he pushed the button several more times.

“Dude maybe we should just walk down.”

“No, ‘cause here it comes,” AJ replied, feeling strangely satisfied. It was almost as if all of his complaining had brought the elevator up to them. The doors opened and AJ made a move to enter the car but Nick didn’t after seeing Naomi standing there.

“Hi Nick,” she greeted, her voice softer than usual. Nick looked at her, sighed and entered the elevator. Naomi looked at him but he made no attempt to reply. “I can understand why you’re mad Nick but I really didn’t mean any harm. You have to understand that.”

“What am I supposed to understand Naomi?” Nick questioned. Naomi looked at Nick, she didn’t know what to say to him even though she had been up most of the night before thinking about it. Everything always seemed so much harder to say when one was actually experiencing what they had feared though they may have rehearsed it a million times over in their minds.

“That I didn’t want to hurt you,” she answered softly, sincerely. “I said some stupid shit but I was being honest with you. That should count for something.”

“It should, but it probably won’t,” Nick responded turning his back to Naomi. She pulled her eyes shut tightly and inhaled deeply. Upon opening her eyes, Naomi found that nothing had changed.

“I’m reaching out to you here, Nick. You could at least talk to me.”

“Look lady, he doesn’t want to talk, just leave him alone,” AJ interjected. Naomi looked at AJ for a moment but turned her attention back to Nick.

“I was wrong Nick, I wanted to be wrong. You should at least contemplate the fact that I did have faith in you. That might mean shit to you right now, but please, just think about that, alright? And if its not too much, find me before you check out just so I can know what you thought about that,” Naomi said as the elevator door opened. She nodded her head and walked out. AJ looked back at Nick as they exited as well.

“What are you gonna do?” AJ asked once Naomi had disappeared from their sight.

“Right now AJ, I have no idea.”

“Where is everyone?” AJ asked.

“I don’t know. You were the one that woke me up and told me that we had to get down here,” Nick snapped.

“Don’t get smart with me,” AJ replied with foe anger. “Maybe they’re out side waiting for us.”

“AJ, Nick,” Kevin called from a side door. Nick and AJ immediately turned to see where Kevin was. “You two are late.”

“We know and we’re sorry master,” AJ replied, pressing his palms together and bowing several times. Nick snickered, Kevin just rolled his eyes.

“Let’s just go,” he told them.

“How long are we gonna be gone for?” Nick questioned as they began walking towards the van that was waiting for them.

“Just a couple of hours. We’re gonna answer some questions, probably take some pictures and stuff,” Kevin explained. “Nothing that you two can’t do, I hope.”

“Nicky Nicky Nicky,” Howie chanted from inside the van. Nick grinned as he entered, sitting next to Howie.

“Howie Howie Howie,” he chanted in return.

“What did you do last night?” Howie asked. Brian leaned followed, curious as to what story Nick had to tell about the night prior.

“Nothing much,” Nick replied.

“Nothing much?” Brian questioned, not believing his friends response for a second. “I saw you practically run out of your room at about 8. That’s not exactly what a man who had nothing much to do does on his way there. So spill it Nicky boy.”

“Okay, I had a date last night,” Nick replied, too tired to fight with the guys at the moment.

“Nicky had a date, Nicky had a date,” Brian and Howie chanted jokingly, laughter soon ensuing.

“Anyone we know?” Brian asked.

“No, I don’t think so. I met her at that label party a couple nights ago.”

“Oh, that cute girl you bumped into and had her drink split all over you when you went to bail AJ out of a conversation?” Howie asked.

“Yeah, that’s the one.”

“So what happened?” Brian asked.
“Nothing. There wasn’t a great connection between the two of us.”

“That’s it?” Howie questioned further. Nick glanced over at AJ and nodded.

“Yeah, that’s it.”