- Text Size +
I am so sorry for not updating!!! I've been pretty busy!!! Anyway, here's the next chapter... let me know what you think!
~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 15

Police Chief Jeremy Moore sat in his office. Exhaustion was slowly starting to over take his over worked body. He had been working on the numerous missing persons cases that had been recently reported over the past month. Women were disappearing faster than he had ever seen in his entire career and he’d been a police officer for twenty years. Jeremy opened up the manila folder that was sitting on top of his desk and started to look through it. He stopped to study the crime scene photos, hoping the find some clue that he may have missed before. Not surprisingly, he didn’t find anything new.

Jeremy leaned back to put his feet on top of his desk, the chair creaking under him as he moved. He locked his fingers together and placed them behind his head. He knew very well that he had a serial killer on his hands. Two bodies and five missing women were a clear sign of this. He knew very well that the five missing women were dead. The circumstances under which they disappeared were identical to those of the two women that they had found. He just wished that they could find their bodies. There might be some clue on them that wasn’t on the two bodies that they had.

“Jeremy,” Officer Susan Henderson said as she walked into Jeremy’s office, “the toxicology reports came back. Both women were clean.”

“They had absolutely nothing in their systems?” Jeremy questioned, opening his eyes to look at Susan.

“Mathews had a small concentration of alcohol in her system but not nearly enough to impair her judgment. She was of sound mind when this happened.”

“Is there anything else you can tell me?”

“Not anything that you didn’t already know. They’re still looking over the bodies. They’re trying to find out as much as they can about what happened when they died as they can and if they can determine how long after they were alive after they were abducted.” Jeremy nodded, not saying anything further. She looked at him, seeing just how tired he was. “Jer, you should go home and get some sleep. You really look like you need it right now.”

“I’ve got work to do Susan,” he replied.

“I know but you’ve been there for almost three days straight. That’s not good for you,” she stated. “At least go home for a couple of hours to shower and get a little sleep. I’ll personally call you if we find anything new.”

“I don’t know,” he said, reluctantly. “I’ll think about it.”


“Alright,” she replied nodding her head.

“Chief, we think we found the point of abduction,” another officer said as he entered the Chief’s office. Jeremy stood up quickly.

“Is there anyone at the scene?”

“Yes sir. They’ve secured it and they thought that you might want to take a look at it before they wrap things up.”

“Where are they?”

“A local night club,” he replied. “187, its only about fifteen minutes from here.”

“Tell the boys I’m on my way,” he stated as he grabbed his keys from his desk. Jeremy swiftly made his way through the station, letting nothing get in his way. He’d responded to several calls at this particular club over the past few years and he knew it well. The name of the club in this case startled him. It was too eerily appropriate. The killer probably planned it this way. He wanted to leave some sort of hint as to what was going to happen to the women that he had abducted.

Jeremy entered his car and headed down the street in the direction of the club. He was trying to think positively about this new lead. He hoped that his men had come across a witness, someone that could tell them something important, something that they didn’t already know. He turned his car into the parking lot of the club. No one was there. Questioningly, Jeremy exited his car and started to walk about. Upon turning the corner of the club, the chief came along a small alleyway where he saw his men.

“Chief over here,” one of the officers called once he got sight of the chief.

“What’ve we got?” he asked the officer.

“Well, we found a broken cell phone, one that’s identical to the one that one of the victims own. It looks like there may have been a struggle between the two,” he answered. “There’s also some blood. We’re sending a sample to the lab to see who’s it is.”

“Do we have any witnesses?” the chief questioned.

“The second victim worked here and we’re about to question her co-workers and see if they saw anything out of the ordinary,” he answered.

“How many people are we looking to question?” the chief asked, his eyes surveying the scene before him.

“Just a few. The owner is going to go over the records and tell us exactly who was working last night and at what times. We have two employees inside right now waiting to be questioned.”

“Where are they?”

“Just inside, sitting at the bar waiting.”

“Thanks, and good job,” Jeremy stated, the officer nodded his head and Jeremy headed inside the club. He looked around carefully, checking for anything that seemed suspicious or some how out of place. Nothing. He walked into the main room of the club where he found the two employees waiting. They looked up at Jeremy nervously.

“Good morning,” he greeted. “I’m Jeremy Moore, police chief. I just want to ask you guys a few questions then you’re free to go.”

“What happened to Kristine?” the teary eyed woman asked.

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out,” he replied. “Step over here for a moment, I want to question each of you individually.” The teary eyed woman nodded and rose from the stool upon which she had been perched. They walked to the other side of the room and came to rest at a small table near the corner.

“Can you tell me your name?” Jeremy asked, taking a small notebook out from one of his pockets.

“Tina,” she responded, wiping her eyes with the back of her hands.

“So Tina, you and Kristine were close, huh?”

“Yeah. She was one of the best friends I’ve ever had. She got me this job, if it weren’t for her, I don’t know where I would be right now,” she replied honestly.

“Did she happen to mention if she was having any personal problems outside of work, like with an ex-boyfriend or something?” Tina thought for a moment, hoping to come up with something that would help the case.

“No, everything seemed fine. She was happy,” she finally answered with a heavy sigh.

“You guys were working the same shift last night?” he asked, she nodded. “Did you happen to see her talking to any of the costumers?”

“She’s always talking to the people that come in here. She’s a real friendly person, ya know? She talks to just about everyone. That‘s what makes her so good at her job, she can always make everyone feel welcome.”

“Did you notice her being extra friendly to anyone last night? Or did she happen to mention if there was anyone here bothering her or making her feel uncomfortable?”

“It was so busy last night that I only talked to her once when we came in and then I didn’t see her any more.”

“Alright, thank you for your help,” Jeremy replied. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a business card. “Here, if you remember anything, anything at all, give me a call and I’ll see what I can do.”

“Alright,” she said taking the card and nodding her head gently. She stood up from the table and started to walk away, but stopped momentarily to say, “I hope that you catch this person because she was a good person and she didn’t deserve to have this happen to her.”

“We’re doing all that we can,” Jeremy replied. She nodded.

“I’ll send Mark over,” she stated, he nodded.

“Good morning,” the next club employee said somberly, “I’m Mark.”

“I just have a few questions for you, then you can go,” he stated, Mark sat down. “How well did you know Kristine?”

“Um, we were cool, I didn’t know her as well as some of the other employees here do but we were friends.”

“Did you ever spend anytime with each other outside of work?”

“Nah, we only had like a work relationship kinda. We hung out when we were both here but we never got together otherwise.”

“So she wouldn’t have told you if something was wrong?”

“Probably not.”

“Last night, did you see anything strange?” Mark sat there and contemplated for a moment.


“Not really, everything went basically as it always does.”

“So you didn’t see any sort of change in her behavior?”

“No, she was acting just like she always did,” he replied. “She even took this guy to the back.” Jeremy looked up from his notebook, a spark of interest in his eyes.

“Really?”

“Yeah, she does that from time to time. She’ll take a guy to the backroom over there,” Mark said pointing towards one of the doors in the back.

“Did you happen to get a good look at this guy?”

“I couldn’t really get a good look at him. He seemed kinda mysterious.”

“How so?”

“He was dressed in all black and kinda kept to himself in the back corner like he was watching everyone,” Mark described. “He was at Kristine’s table so..”

“So what?”

“So, she obviously had talked to him or whatever.”

“Do you have camera’s in the club anywhere?”

“We used to,” Mark answered, “but they went down a couple of weeks ago, we kept having problems with them and they didn’t seem to be worth the hassle to fix again. We hadn‘t had any problems so there didn‘t seem to be a reason to keep them.” Jeremy nodded.

“What else do you remember about this guy?” Jeremy questioned. “Like can you give me some sort of description?”

“The only thing that I could tell you was that he seemed tall, like six feet or something like that and he was about average weight,” Mark recalled. Jeremy jotted this information down in his notebook.

“About what time did you see them go back there?”

“About midnight.”

“Did you see them come out?”

“No.”