- Text Size +
Yes, I'm alive!!! I am so sorry that I haven't updated in god knows how long, lol. I've been so busy with school that I haven't really had the chance to sit and write!! Most of this chapter was actually written in my chemistry class!! Enjoy and I'll try and update more regularly!!

~Stephanie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 5

Nick yawned as he sat down on the couch in the studio. They'd just completed two more songs and were way ahead of schedual. Nick smiled when heard everyone laugh, even though he didn't know what was said. Strangely, he hadn't been able to fall asleep the night before. Maybe it was due to the adrenaline or maybe, just maybe, it was his conscience trying to tell him that he had done something wrong, but that didn't happen with the other women, he had no remorse. He didn't even think about them once he had disposed of the bodies. Why would this time be any different? Each of these girls ended up in some shallow greave, left to decompose and become a statistic in some crime survey. He'd commited what he thought was the perfect crime. There were no witnesses or evidence to tie him to the murders in anyway.

Nicks lips twitched. He want to speak, tell what he had done, not to bare his soul in confession but to bask in his own twisted glory. He wanted people to know that they were admiring his work, they were talking bout what he had done, but he couldn't utter a word because of the risk of having someone stab him in the back and call the police. As much as he considered the group of guys working before him his family, he knew he couldn't share this with them. They just wouldn't understand the greatness that he had achieved. He sighed, bored.

"Hey man, what's on your mind?" AJ asked whenhe noticed that Nick had isolated himself and seemed lost in thought. Nick looked towards his friend. AJ lifted his trademark sunglasses and showed a look of genuine concern. Nick shook his head.

"Nothing man," Nick replied, "I'm just thinking."

"Looks like you have something really important on your mind."

"Just thinking about the album," Nick lied, "it's going to be great. I can't wait to get back on the road, I miss it."

"Yeah me too," AJ replied, knowing that Nick had lied to him, but he didn't want to press it because he knew Nick would talk to him when he felt like it. Nick was like that, AJ had learned that years ago. "Things are going to be different this time though. Brian's going to bring the baby."

"Yeah I know," Nick answered. "It'll still be fun though," Nick continued, staring blankly across the room AJ sighed not knowing whatelse to say but not wanting to walk alway either.

"Well detective Nick," AJ started, hoping this would peak his friends interest, "what do you think of this most recent case?"

"It's just like all the others," Nick replied, trying to hide his sudden spark of interest.

"Yeah, this guy's good," AJ remarked. "The police got one hell of a case on their hands. I doubt they'll ever catch him. He's effecient with those things, the only way I think they'll catch this dude is if he fucks up."

"You think he'll fuck up?"

"Nah," AJ replied after a moment of thought. "I think when or even if, he messes up, it's gpnna be because he wants to be caught."

"Who wants to be caught?" Howie asked.

"That murderer," AJ replied.

"Oh," Howie responded, "we don't know if he's a murderer yet."

"Then where are the girls? He's not just going to let these girls walk away so that they can identify him. If he's smart, which he obviously is, he's going to get rid of any witnesses."

"Look, I was trying to think positively."

"I know D, but this isn't a story that's going to have a complete happy ending. This dude may never be caught. It's fucked up but it's the truth."

"Can we talk about something else?"

"This is interesting," AJ remarked, standing his ground. "Besides, I was talkin to Nick anyway." Howie shrugged when he looked over at Nick who hadn't said anything yet.

"You okay?" Howie asked Nick.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Nick replied, "why does everyone keep asking me that? Can't a guy just sit and think without everyone bugging him?"

"Damn Nick, what crawled up your ass and died?" AJ asked.

"Nothing," Nick replied, trying to calm down, he had no idea why he had gone off like that. He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay man, no harm done," AJ answered, slightly worried about Nick. Nick had been known to act wierd, but this was wierd even by Nicks standards.

"You guys going to that record label party thing?" Howie asked. AJ shrugged, still thinking about Nick, but not giving him too much worry. He would get over what ever it was that was bothering him soon enough.

"I don't know, I wanted to see if anyone else was going to go first but even if I did go, I wouldn't stay for long. You know how that shit is. It's not really a party, it's an ass kissing fest."

"Yeah I know, I was thinking of just dropping in, getting seen by a few people and leaving, just to look professional."

"Just in and out? No longer than an hour tops?" AJ questioned his friend.

"That was the plan," Howie responded.

"Sounds good. If we go together, we can bail each other out. If you see me bored as hell just cut in and be like the other drove, something came up and we need to get the hell outta there," AJ stated. Howie nodded, showing that his plan was similar.

"What do you say Nick, you up for it?" Howie asked. Nick looked at his friends for a second, considering the idea. Finally he answered.

"Sure, what the hell. I didn't have any plans anyway," he explained.

"Cool, I'll drop by and get you fellas around eight. Sound good?" Howie asked.

"Yeah," both Nick and AJ answered. Howie smiled and walked off towards the other guys.

"Well try to have some fun. You never know, we might just get rid of that bug up your ass tonight," AJ joked, hitting Nick in the arm playfully and then going his own way as well.