- Text Size +
Chapter 7

Nick dropped down on one of the couches in the large room that he found himself in. Everywhere he looked, he saw nothing but stuck up record label executives and people who only wanted a chance to go after big bucks. It all bothered him; he hated being trapped in these sorts of situations because there really wasn’t anything that he could do. He had to act as though he enjoyed having these people around because if at any moment they felt that you didn’t like them, they turned on you and made your life a complete living hell. Nick could never understand how things got to be that way. It wasn’t as if a person was born thinking that they were going to be the biggest jerk they could.

He looked down at his watch for what seemed like the millionth time that night. They’d been there for about forty-five minutes and the one hour deadline was finally approaching. Nick scanned the room, trying to look for any sign of AJ or Howie. He couldn’t see anything but he knew that they just wouldn’t leave him like that. They were probably some where just out of his sight trying to break free. The best bet was, at least Nick thought anyway, was to stay out of sight which might hopefully help him avoid all unwanted conversations.

“Nickolas!” a voice of an older mad called out. Nick closed his eyes in defeat, one of the executives had found him and there was no escaping now.

“Hello Mr. Banks,” Nick replied extending his hand for a customary and polite handshake, as well as putting a fake smile.

“I’ve heard you and your band mates have been having a lot of luck with recording! When do you think you guys are going to have your next big hit ready for us?” he asked. Typical, Nick thought to himself. Ask about making money, don’t bother asking about any of the families, especially Brian’s since he had a son now.

“Maybe we recorded it already, who knows?” Nick said with mock sincerity. The older man laughed, Nick held back his sudden sickening feelings of anger and smiled.

“You’ve always been the jokester Nickolas,” he stated. “It’s good to have you back in the band, you’re so much better off that way. I mean come on; did you really think you could go solo? See, I told you that you were the jokester!!” the older man bellowed. Nick bit his lip, finding it harder and harder to contain his ever growing anger.

“Yeah, ha ha sir,” he replied his voice no longer tainted with fakeness it was loaded with just seconds before. The man gave Nick a reassuring smile.

“Well it’s been nice talking to you,” he replied with the smile still on his face. “You better not stay out too late, it might hurt your voice.”

“Yes, I’m aware of that sir and I don’t plan on staying out much longer,” he replied. The man nodded and walked away. Nick shook his head in disgust when Banks had disappeared.

“Sorry about that one Nicky,” Howie replied from behind Nick. “I couldn’t find you until you were already talking to him and by the time I got over here he was already leaving on his own,” he continued.

“Whatever D, can we just get the fuck out of here?” Nick asked.

“Yeah we just got to get AJ and then we can go,” he replied.

“Okay let’s find him.”

“Nick,” Howie said as he and Nick started to wander through the party in search of their friend. “I heard what he said about your album, don’t listen to him man. He doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about, he wouldn‘t know good music if it came up from behind him and bit him on the butt. Your album was great!”

“Yeah I know lets just get AJ.” Howie looked at Nick for a moment and shook his head. Whatever happened to the days when the people around you used to encourage you? Poor Nick had to deal with a bunch of jerks that couldn’t care less about his feelings. Howie sighed and walked around with Nick, looking around for AJ.

“There he is,” Nick said pointing off towards the side of the room. Howie turned his head to see AJ engaged in what looked to be a painfully boring conversation. AJ turned his head, catching a glance of the guys. His eyes pierced into them, telling them to hurry up and break him out of it.

“Act sick and let’s get him out of there,” Howie suggested.

“Can’t I just go over there and tell him I want out….,” Nick said.

“No, that will make us look bad.” Nick looked at his friend. After the night that Nick just had, caring about what people thought about him and the boys was the last thing on his mind. In actuality, he wanted to just tell the ‘suits’ that he hated them and never wanted to come to any of these stupid parties in the first place. Howie nudged Nick. “Come on.”

“Alright, alright,” Nick replied rolling his eyes as he began to walk in the direction of his trapped friend. He could only imagine all the nasty things that AJ was thinking about saying to the man standing before him. What AJ had in mind would probably give the old man a heart attack. Nick snickered at the thought. Maybe he should encourage AJ to speak his mind. It would end the party in a heart beat, or the lack there of as the case may be. Nick stopped in his tracks when he bumped into someone, spilling their drink onto him.

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry,” the young girl replied quickly.

“No, it’s okay,” Nick replied looking at the woman before him. She was absolutely beautiful. Why hadn’t he noticed her before? “I should have been watching where I was going.”

“No, I was in a rush. I wanted to run away before I got sucked into another boring conversation,” she replied handing Nick the napkin she had in her hand.

“I’m Nick by the way,” Nick greeted, extending his hand. She smiled.

“Naomi,” she replied.

“What’s a girl like you, doing at a boring party like this?” Nick asked. She laughed.

“I just got a record deal and I was forced to come. If I had it my way, I’d be back at the hotel in bed right now.”

“Yeah, I completely understand. We were forced to these things too when we were signed, but even after they stop forcing you, you have to go anyway. They say it makes you look ‘professional’ and all that other good shit,” Nick replied. Naomi laughed.

“So that’s why you’re here?”

“Basically. We’re recording right now so we have to go to more of these damn things than usual. Then when the damn CD comes out, forget it.”

“They’re all really that bad?” she questioned.

“Oh yeah. And I started going to these things when I was fifteen. They’re all the same. Like my buddy J says, it’s not really a party, it’s an ass kissing fest.”

“You know what, that’s so true!”

“So what are you doing tomorrow night? I was thinking I could buy you a drink.”

“I don’t know,” she replied.

“Come on, have fun while you can because once you become famous you won’t be able to without having the entire world know about it,” Nick informed her. “Besides, it’s just a drink. What’s the worst that can happen?”

“Alright,” she said giving in. “You staying at the hotel about ten minutes from here?”

“Yeah. So what room should I pick you up from?” Nick asked.

“312, around eight, how’s that?”

“Sounds great,” Nick replied. “Now I have to go rescue my friend. I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

“Yeah, see you tomorrow night!” Nick smiled and watched as she walked away from him. Tomorrow was going to be a lot more fun than he thought it would be. Then he stopped to think about it. They were probably going to stay at the hotel, he couldn’t do anything there. He and the other guys had countless security guards around; one of them was bound to hear something. There was no way that he would be able to get away with it there. He’d have to find a way to get her to leave the hotel with him. Nick shook his head when he felt someone touch him.

“Yeah Nick, she’s hot but she’s gone now and you still left me hanging,” AJ started.

“Dude, I’m sorry. I just got a little caught up.”

“No kidding. Thankfully someone interrupted my little conversation over there ‘cause if I had to stand there and wait until after you got done macking it up, I would have killed you,” AJ responded. Nick smiled at his friend.

“Come on; let’s just get out of here.”

“Are you going to see her again?” AJ asked.

“Yeah, we’re going out tomorrow night.”

“Way to go pimp daddy,” AJ joked, Nick shook his head and smiled quickly.

“Let’s just grab Howie so we can get out of here before we end up trapped here all night.”