- Text Size +
A Matter of Time
By Vicki © 2003

*** Summer 2000 *****


“ When is she due?” AJ asked excitedly.
“ About an hour man. You’ve never met this girl and now your excited to meet my sister.” Kevin said looking at his younger friend.
“ Dude the way you talk about her she must be the most beautiful girl to come out of Kentucky.” AJ said sitting down in the seat next to his friend.
“ She is. Man I haven’t seen Anna in almost four years. She calls and sends pictures which it sounds like you even have seen.” Kevin said looking towards the door.
“ Kev, come on man let’s get going her plane arrives in less than an hour.” Brian said rushing into the hotel room.
“ Yeah I know. I swear you’d think we hadn’t seen her in a life time.” Kevin said looking at the group.
“ We haven’t man.” AJ said looking at Kevin. Kevin shook his head and led them to the truck.



Anna exited the plane, a small smile on her face as she looked at the nice flight attendant that had helped her exit the plane.
“ Was there anything else you needed?” She asked Anna.
“ Nope thank you for all your help.” Anna said shaking her hand.
“ No problem Miss Richardson.” She said watching her leave. Anna made her way threw the crowd and found her brother and her cousin and their friends standing at the end of the terminal waiting for her.
“ Hey Anna.” Kevin said leaning down and hugging his sister. Anna kissed his cheek and hugged him back.
“ Hey Cuz” Brian said hugging her as well.
“ Hey guys. Thanks for having me.” She said looking around.
“ Guys this is my sister Anna, Anna this is Nick, Howie and AJ.” Kevin said pointing to each of the boys. Nick moved forward and shook her hand. Howie gave her a gentile hug and AJ stood there and smiled. He had been so excited to see what Anna had looked like but this was a huge surprise. His eyes drifted over her slender body and came to rest on her legs. She was more beautiful than he had expected. But it was another thing while looking at her he hadn’t expected.
“ Hi I am Alex.” AJ said kissing her cheek.
“ Hello Alex.” Anna said looking into his brown eyes. His eyes where a soft brown and she swore she could have gotten lost in them. But she could see the fear in them as well.

*** Two days Later. **

Anna smiled as AJ held her hand while they sat in the room watching TV. Kevin watched from where he was sitting and shook his head.
“ They are fine. Leave them alone.” Brian whispered in his cousin’s ear.
“ But that’s my sister and AJ’s been on a downward spiral for the last two years.”
“ Maybe she’s what he needs. Amanda hasn’t been really nice to him.” Nick said looking at them.
“ Stay out of this Nicky.” Kevin almost growled at the younger man.
“ Kev, she’s the same age as Alex leave them alone.” Brian repeated. Kevin just narrowed his eyes and watched the two new love birds.
“ What do you think is his problem?” Howie asked pulling Brian aside.
“ He worries about Anna, always has but it’s become worse after the accident or hadn’t you noticed that my cousin is in a wheelchair?” Brian asked looking at them.
“ I noticed and it didn’t seem to bother me. So I didn’t bring it up.” Howie said looking at Brian strangely.
“ It bothers Kevin some times.” Brian said looking towards his cousin.
“ How did the accident happen?”
“ Her boyfriend had been drinking heavily after their prom and she had begged him to let her drive even though she didn’t have a license. But it was better than having him drive drunk. That didn’t happen he got mad and she didn’t want him to go alone so she rode with him. He swerved into the wrong lane and hit a semi head on. Anna was thrown from the car upon impact, snapping her spine. Her boyfriend was killed instantly.”
“ When was this?”
“ Five years ago if I recall. That would be when Kevin had to rush home for a short while.”
“ I am surprised that he came back.” Howie said to him.
“ He came back cause she made him, Anna wasn’t willing to let his life come to an end cause hers did.”
“ She seems happy with Alex.” Howie pointed out.
“ I know, that is the first smile I’ve seen on her in a long time.” Brian said a smile playing on his face.