- Text Size +
One year later Michael turned one and I decided to call Nick.

"Hello?" answered a woman who was unkind.

"Umm...is Nick there?" I asked, becoming nervous.

"He's not here. Who's this?" she asked in a snotty tone.

"Umm... do you know when he'll be home?" I asked, feeling a little disappointed.

"I don't know. Who is this?" she continued to ask. I just hung up.

I went to go check on Michael. He was in the hospital. He had a mur mur in his heart and needed a heart transplant. Something I could not afford.

Time was wasting by quick and I knew I didn't have any help at this point. So I did what any other mother would do. I gave up my dream. I called Barry's brother and decided to sell my bar to him. He gave me $500,000 for it. Supposivly the property was worth a lot of money. I still didn't have enough. I sold my house. I sold it for $94,000, less than what I paid for. But I had to do what I had to do. I decided to call Nick again.

"Hello?" the same voice I despised answered again.

"Is Nick there?" I asked, praying he would be.

"Is this that same girl? I told you he isn't here. Quit fucking calling my house" she screamed and hung up the phone.

I was runnig out of time. I sold my car, the last thing I owned. I needed $44,000 more. I called my mom for help. I told her what was going on and she lend me only $4,000. I appreciate it, but it wasn't enough.

I called Nick again.

"Hello?" a little girl's voice answered.

"Hi Megan", I said, knowing who it was and remembering her name. "Is your daddy home?"

"Hole on" she said, walking away from the phone.

"Hello?" a woman's voice picked up.

"Is Nick there?" I asked, becoming fusturated. All the sudden I heard a man's voice.

"Angela, who's that?" he asked, curiuos.

"Honey, it's just some crazed fan", she said in a fake accent. I heard Nick walk away.

"Look you little bitch. I know who you are. I told you not to call here. He dosn't want to talk to you. Remember I'm the mother of his child, so he wants me not you. Now quit calling my fucking house!" she screamed and hung up on me again.

I called my last hope. Hoping he would help me.

"Hello?" amswered a voice I will never forget.

"Brian? It's me Ashley" I said, trying not to cry.

"Hey girl. OMG! How are you?" he said all in one breath.

"I'm alright I guess. Brian I need your help" I said, not wasting any time and getting to the point.

"Are you alright? Are you in danger? What's worng?" He asked all at once.

"It's more like a favor", I said, calmly.

"For Ashley, anything", he laughed, still worried.

"I need to borrow $40,000" I said all the sudden, surprised at myself.

"That's a lot of money. What do you need it for?" he asked, catching me off guard.

"Look I'll explain everything later. Are you gonna lend me the money?" I asked, becoming impatient.

"When do you need the money?" he asked, knowing it was for a good cause.

"As soon as possible would be great", I said, jumping for joy.

I gave him an address and the next day I recieved an envolope with money in it. I finally had enough.

The next day I watched from a glass window, watching the doctors operate on my baby. I couldn't help but cry.

A week later, he was finally released from he hospital and we stayed with Amanda. She welcomed us with open arms.

I needed a break. So I left Michael with Amanda and went for a walk. I was walking all over town. I still lived in Maryland. I saw a beat up looking bar, that the sign said open.

I walked in and the whole place looked like no one has been in here for years. The chairs were up, cob webs everywhere and dust filled the air.

I made my way to the bar and sat on what I thought was a stool. Suddenly an old man appeared and startled me.

"Can I help you miss?" he said. His voice was bitter.

"Yeah can I have a beer please?" I asked, kinda scared.

"What would you like ma'am?" he asked me. He looked like he was grouchy and a very lonely man.

"I don't care" I said all the sudden, my gaze wondering around the room.

He handed me a miller light and he spoke.

"So what brings you here?" he asked, looking straight at me.

"I needed to get out", I replied quietly. I looked at him and he smiled, which seemed like the first time he had smiled in years.

From that day on I went to the bar everyday. I didn't go there to drink, but to talk to him. I told him my life story and all he did was listen. I was gratful for that. I been going there for 2 months and one day my life changed.

I walked in the bar and I had a weird feeling.

"Mr. O'Henry?" I yelled, hearing my echoes in the room. I looked around.

"He's not here", said a man, coming out from behind the bar.

"Where is he?" I asked, looking at the man.

"He passed away last night. He had a heart failure", he answered sadly.

"And you are?" I manage to ask, before I felt tears stinging my eyes.

"My name is Victor. I'm am Mr. O'Henry's atterny, He wanted me to give you this", he replied, handing me an envolope.

"It's an invitation to his viewing, funeral and hearing of the will", he answered and walked out the bar.

A few days later, I went to his veiwing. I took Michael with me. Then I went to his funeral, then his hearing of the will. I felt so out of place there, but kept quiet. He had left his daughter the farm and everybody else something. But when it was my turn, he left me his bar and and the money he invested in it. He never used any of it because he knew his time would come, when heaven called. The amount came to almost one million dollars.

After two years passed, the bar became successful. I named it after Mr. O'Henry. 'O'Henry's bar and Grill. I moved out Amanda's apartment and bought a little house near the bar. I paid back my mom and Brian. Like I said, my bar was successful. I gave up on Nick. I stopped calling. Michael turned 3 years old and from there on, he wasn't doing to good.