- Text Size +
I was sitting in the waiting room at the hospital when my mother showed up. I was happy to see her and rushed into her arms like some little kid. I just cried.

Michael's heart wasn't doing too good and needed open heart surgery. Being so young and small, there was a chance of him not surviving. But being so strong, that made the process a lot easier.

We waited for hours until the doctor came in the room. My stomach tightened up and I knew something was wrong. My mom grasped my hand.

"Ms. Roberts?" he asked, before speaking again.

"Yes?" I quickly said, standing up.

"I don't know how to tell you this but... your son..." he looked down before he could say anything else. "He didn't make it".

My world just crashed down and I bursted into tears and my mom just held me.

A week later I was at Michael's funeral. I couldn't even look at him in his coffin 'cause I knew I would lose control and go crazy.

After that was over, I took a break from my life. I made Amanda watch over the bar for a couple of days and stayed with my mom for awhile in Florida.

"Honey? Why don't you eat something? You haven't ate since the funeral", she said, concerned. She handed me a coffee mug and sat down beside me on the deck outside. I didn't look at her. I look out in the ocean.

"You know, you should call Nick and tell him what happened. After all he was the father", She imputed, worried.

"Mom, you didn't tell him I was here did you?" I asked her quickly, starting to panic.

"Of course not", she smiled and gave me a hug. I respected my mother so much. She was so strong. She knew what I was going through. My father and brother was killed in a car accident coming home from a camping trip when I was five. I guess she knew how to deal with these things.

After a couple of days, I got brave and decided to go to Nick's house and talk to him in person. I stepped on the porch and knocked on the door.

"Yes?" answered Angela nicly before realizing it was me and becoming scared.

"Is Nick here?" I asked. I was filled with rage, so I dare her to even get shitty with me.

"NO! What the hell do you want?" she said, somewhat raising her voice, then becoming scared.

"I need to talk to Nick. It's important. I know he's here. His prowler is in the diveway and he never leaves that here without him being here",I pleaded with her.

"Well that's not my problem", she said coldly. Right before she was about to shut the door, I stopped her.

"Look my son just died and I would greatly appreciate if you let me just talk to him. Please?" I begged, hoping she would feel sorry for me and let me see Nick.

"If I was your son, I would die too", she said all the sudden. My eyes filled with rage and I barged in the door and tackled her to the ground. I was throwing punches from left to right, busting her nose and lip when I heard someone crying.

"Mommy? Mommy?" Megan cried, seeing her mom bleeding. I quickly got off of her, assuming Nick wasn't home and left.

After a few days, I left for Maryland. It did feel good to be back.

~~One year later~~

O'Henry's Bar and Grill was doing awesome. I had a live band play there that night. To do something different. It was a busy night. I was working when the band started playing.

Occurred to me the other day
You been gone now a couple years
Well I guess it takes a while
For someone to really disappear
And I remember where I was
When the word came about you
It was a day much like today
The sky was bright and wide and blue

And I wonder where you are
And if the pains ends when you die
And I wonder if there was
Some better way to say good-bye

Today my heart is big and sore
It's trying to put right through my skin
Won't see you anymore
I guess that's finally sinking in
Cause you can't make somebody see
With the simple words you say
All their beauty from within
Sometimes they just look away

And I wonder where you are
And if the pains ends when you die
And I wonder if there was
Some better way to say good-bye.
I listened to the song and felt I as gonna cry. I just myself busy to try to ease myself from the pain I was going through.

It slowed down. The band left and I sat on the stool talking to people, then I went into the office to catch up on some paper work.

After a few minutes, Ronnie, one of the barmates came in.

"Hey gurl, someone's here to see you?" she said, smiling, looking at me.

"Guy or girl?" I asked, not looking up.

"A guy and he's hott!" she shrieked at me.

I looked up and smiled. "Okay. I'll be there in a minute". She turned around and walked out the office.

A few minutes later I got up, stretched and walked out into the bar. I looked up and I gasped. I was in shock. I didn't know what to say and a million thoughts ran through my mind at the moment.

"Well it's nice to see you too, Ashley", the man smiled at me, looking me up and down.

"What are you doing here?... I mean...what a surprise", I manage to say, not being able to look him in the eye.

"Look's like your not happy to see me?" he answered, beoming disappointed.

"No I... I am... but oh man", I said, not knowing what to say. For years, I have been trying to get a hold of this man and I didn't succeed. Now he was sitting right in front of my face and I'm not doing anything about it.

Amanda looked at me and walked over to me. "Honey, if you wanna leave and go talk, I'll close up tonight?" she said, smiling at me and looking at Nick, knowing axactly who he was. No not a Backstreet boy or Nick Carter, but the father of my two babies.

I gave a smile that read thank you and me and Nick left.

I pulled into my driveway and got out the car. The whole 10 minute ride from the bar, we didn't say a word to eachother.

"This is your house?" asked Nick, impressed.

"Yeah, well it's not as big as your house, but its something I like to call home", I manage to say, unlocking the door. It was a house, 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. Three stories, and a swimming pool.

We walked in and I put my purse down on the table and turned on the lights. It was colorful.

"Great house", said Nick, his eyes wondering around.

"Make yourself at home. I'll be right back. I'm gonna go change", I said, leaving his side and walking upstairs.

He looked around and his eyes fell on the pictures that were hanging on the wall in the living room.

There was a picture of me holding Michael when he was 2. A baby picture of him, when he was born. A picture of me and Barry when I was 5 month's pregnant. A picture of me and Nikki, when I was 7 month's pregnant. A picture of me, mom, and Michael when he was 2 1/2. A picture of me and Mr. O'Henry and a picture of my mom and Michael. That one was my favorite.

He looked over on the mantle and saw another picture of michael and me, where he's sitting my lap and picture of Michael and our dog, Grover. I had him put to sleep right after Michael died. Then he looked over at the table where the lamp was and saw a picture of himself and me together. He picked it up and looked at it.

"Well Nick?" I said, startleling him as I watched him put the picture frame back down. We both sat on the couch.

"So Nick was brings you here to Maryland?" I asked, trying to break the awkward silence.

"You", he said, without hesitation.

"Me?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah. I came here to find you", he said, leaning back on the couch.

"Well you found me" I said, forcing a smile.

"This is a nice place you got here", he said, still looking around, he eyes falling back on the pictures.

"Thanks. You don't understand what I had to go through", I quietly said, hoping he didn't hear me.

"What was that?" he asked, didn't hear quite what I had said.

"Nick? We have to talk?" I said all the sudden.

"Yeah I know, but first tell me who that is?" he asked, pointing at the picture of me and Michael, posing.

"Nick, that's Michael. He's my son" I said, looking at Nick.

"Your son?" he asked, confused and curious.

"Yeah. He was 2 in that picture", I said, smiling.

"Is that the father?" he asked, pointing to Barry and then my stomach.

"No No. Barry was a wonderful man. He was like my best friend and help me out greatly during my pregnancy", I said, knowing I had to tell him pretty soon.

"Who's that?" he asked, pointing at the old man.

"Oh that's Mr. O'Henry. He's the one I named my bar after", I smiled at the good times we shared.

"Oh. So where's Michael at?" he suddenly asked, catching me off guard. I didn't answer. I frozed.