- Text Size +
"Are you there?" asked Nick, waving his hands in front of me.

"He died about a year ago", I whispered, putting my head down and trying not to cry.

"Oh I'm so sorry", he suddenly said, pulling me in a hug.

We finally broke apart and he looked in my eyes.

"How did he die?" he suddenly asked, knocking me out of thought. "You don't have to answer that if you don't want to".

I tried to stay strong and finally spoke.

"Nick, I really needed to talk to you and this is a long story", I manage to say before standing up on my feet.

"Where you going?" he asked, still sitting down, looking up at me.

"If I'm gonna tell you a long story, I mine as well get comfortable", I said. Then I headed to the kitchen.

Minutes later I'm came back with a bag of Doritos and chips. A pint of ice cream with 2 spoons, and sodas. I sat back down.

"Alright, do you remember that night before I left?" I asked him. not able to look at him, feeling guilty.

"Was it the first time or the second time?" he asked me, not taking his eyes off me, somewhat laughing.

"The first time", I answered, forcing a smile.

"Yeah, what about it?" he asked, confused and curious.

"Well, not two months I was here, I found out I was pregnant", I answered, looking down at the floor.

"And...who was the father?" he asked, anxious to know.

"You were", I whisoer softly.

"I was, why didn't you tell me?" he asked, standing up, looking down at me.

"Would you let me finish?" I said, pulling him back down.

"I'm sorry. Please do continue", he said in a more sincere tone.

"Well I didn't want to tell you because you already had enough problems as it already is", I said, feeling really guilty now.

"You know, sonce it was you, it would made me happy", he replied, grapping my hand.

"I know that now, but I didn't know that then. Anyways... when I was seven months pregnant, I went into labor. Nikki was by my side the whole time", I said, trying not to cry.

"Was it a boy or girl?" he suddenly asked me.

"A girl... but I had a still born", I blurted out, tears falling from eyes.

"You mean a misscarriage?" he asked, confused.

"No I mean a still born. I wish I had a misscarriage. A still born is when the baby is born dead, fully developed", I cried. He pulled me into a hug.

After a few minutes, we broke apart and I continued.

"Well after that, a couple of months later, Nikki got into drugs and started stealing things from me and I had to get away. So I came back to Florida", I said, calming down.

"Then what happened?" he asked, curious.

"Well we made love that night and I left for the second time", I answered him, feeling guitly again.

"I know. I thought I had you back, but just like that, you were gone again", he said, snapping his fingers.

"I went back to Maryland, where I met Barry. I stayed with him. After three months of staying with him, I found out I was pregnant. Then when I was five months pregnant, Barry died of cancer, leaving me a bar and lot's of money", I said, smiling at that memory.

"Wow! A bar and money?" he asked, astonished.

"Yeah. I had bought a house and the bar was successful. Then I had Michael", I said, crying again.

Nick just hugged me againa and rubbed my back.

"When he turned one, he needed a heart transplant, because he had a hole in his heart that was getting bigger and bigger by the day. That's when I called you for help"< I calmed down and looked at Nick.

"You called me?" he asked, confused.

"Yeah, but that bitch answered the phone and you weren't home.

"Ashley, you know I never get to go anywhere when I'm with her. she always uses that excuse, 'you said you were gonna help me with megan, and by doing that, you can stay here'" he laughed, trying to get his mind off that memory.

"So you were home?" I asked, getting somewhat pissed.

"Yeah. I can't believe she did that", he said, looking down at the floor, his mind wondering.

"Anyways... I knew I didn't have any help at the time and I couldn't afford no heart transplant, so I did what any other mother would do" I said, feeling proud of myself.

"What you do? he asked, curious.

"I sold my bar, my house and my car", I rushed to say, feeling proud.

"Wow, you did all that for Michael?" he asked, surprised and shocked.

"Yeah. Nick, he's my son. I would die for him", I said, confused to why he even would say that.

"You know, your one of a kind Ashley", he said, smiling at me.

"Yeah well I still didn't have enough", I suddenly said, my smile fell to a frown.

"What did you do?" he asked, interested now.

"Well I asked my mom for money and she only gave me four grand. I appreciate it, but it wasn't enough. I still needed forty grand. So I called you again", I said, putting my head down.

"I can guess what happen over the phone. What a bitch", he screamed at himself. "How did you get forty grand?"

"Brian. He lend it to me. I told him not to tell you because I wanted to tell you everything in person", I said, looking in his eyes.

"Well... then what happened?" he asked, aking a sip from his drink.

"Well, Michael got the surgery and we had no place to go so we stayed with my friend Amanda. She welcomed us with open arms", I said, smiling.

"Oh. Was that that girl I met tonight?" he said, smiling.

"Yeah", I said, laughing.

"But anyways I met Mr. O'Henry at a beat up bar I went to. I needed to get out. I enjoyed talkng to him. I went there everyday to see him, not to drink, but to talk to him", I saod, laughing at the memories we shared.

"Then what happened?" he asked, curious.

"After a few months... he died... of heart failure", I said, a tear escaping my eyes. "He left me that bar and almost one million dollars".

"Oh", he was speechless.

"I fixed up the bar, it became successful, then a year ago, Michael had to undergo open heart surgery", I said, letting the tears flow. I continued. "The doctors said being do young and little, he might not make it. But being so strong made it a lot easier", I said, grabbing a tissue.

I gather my composure and continued...

"Being too young and little got the best of him and... di...died...right on...the operating...table", I said. I couldn't speak anymore and my tears came pouring out. Nick grabbed me and pulled to his chest, stroking my hair. He cried too.

"Then after he died...", I continued, after sitting up. "I stayed with my mom for awhile and I went over to your house, your prowler was there, so I knew you were there and she said you wasn't and she pissed me off and I attacked her. Then after one year later, you come along and I tell you everything", I said all in one breathe. "So Nick, what have you been up too?" I grabbed a dorito.

Nick looked at me and he looked like he was gonna cry, but he kept strong and told his story.

"Well, it's nothing compared to yours but being with Angela, I think were tied", he laughed, trying to make me laugh. It made me angry.

"Umm...after you left, I didn't give up on you. I tried to find you, but I didn't succeed. Then when you came back to me, I wasn't gonna let you go, but then you left me... again", he explained, looking into my eyes. "My world came crashing down and I knew I had lost the only woman I had ever loved", he said, holding my hand. I couldn't help but cry. "Then after you left, I had no choice but to marry Angela. I was trying to make Megan's life easier", he said,leaning back on the couch.

"What happened?" I asked, curious.

"Well she became obsessive, jealous, she wouldn't leave me alone. she was always in my business. I mean even the guys hated her. She was such bitch. Then when Megan got older, I noticed she looked nothing like me. She had brown eyes and Brown hair, so I a maternity test done", he said, putting his head in his hands.

"Well? What were the results?" I asked, anxious to know.

"She turned out not being mine. So I got a divorce with Angela. I told her to keep the house and she won my prowler and you know what?" he said all the sudden.

"What?" I asked, curious to find out.

"She had the nerve to tell me she was fighting custodity over Megan. I'm like it's your kid. I don't want nothing to do with you too. I did feel sorry for Megan though", he said, somewhat feeling guilty. "Then a year ago, I did find you here, and I was gonna wait until the perfect time, and tonight was perfect", he said, turning and facing me on the couch.

"Yeah it was wasn't it?" I said, pulling him close to me.

"Ashley? I'm so glad I found you, and I wish I was there through the obstacles you went through. How can I make it up?" he said, wrapping his arms around me.

"You can start by kissing me", I smiled, rubbing my nose against his.

"Yes ma'am", he laughed, bringing his lips to mine. It felt so good to being able to kiss him again.

After what seemed to be for hours, we broke apart, both out of breathe.

"Ashley I love you so much and I want to be with you so much", he wined, holding on to me.

We started making out he carried me upstairs and into my bedroom.

"Hold up" he said, breaking away.

"What?" I asked, wondering why he stopped.

"If we do this, your not gonna run away from me are you?" he said, being serious.

"No" I laughed and continued to kiss him again.

That night we made endless love and he seemed to take all my pain away.

~~One year later~~

After being together again, we finally got married and guess what? Yeah I was pregnant again. I had a little girl. I named her Taylor Renee Carter.

When Taylor turned 3 I found out the I was diagnosed with cancer. After 7 months later, my time came, leaving Nick and Taylor behind.

~~Nick's POV~~

"Dad! Dad! Come on, were gonna be late?" Taylor screamed, from outside in the car.

"Honey, where's my camera?" I said, looking around the house.

"Dad, it's in the car", Taylor yelled again.

We finally got into the car and the whole way to the school, many thoughts were going through my head. This was my daughter's day. Her moment.

As I got there, I grabbed a seat and watched my daughter walk on stage to recieve her diploma. She was graduating and I know that Ashley was watching from the skys.

After the ceremony was over, I was saying good=bye to my little girl. She was leaving for a week to Cacun. I was sending her there, with her friends.

I had one thought in my mind and that was to go see Ashley.

I walked up to where her stone was and knelt down.

"Hey baby. Today was the day our baby graduated. I'm so proud of her. I think I did a good job with her. Everyday she reminds of you. She looks more like you everyday. We both miss you very much. We think of you everyday and your always in our hearts and prayers", Nick said, as he started crying.

"Baby, why you leave me? Why did you have to go? It wasn't your time, not just yet. Yeah, you accomplish your dreams, had kids, married me, the man that loves you the most. But you have unfinished business. You didn't get to see you daughter grow up. She misses you so much. She's says she loves you and wished you were here to share her moment. In her heart you were there, but its just not the same. We both love you very much and we will always will. Tell Michael I said hi for me, and even though I never got to meet him, Ilove him just as much. Honey, I'm gonna go now. I love you and I miss you deeply", I cried, wiping the tears from my eyes. I walked over to Michael's stone and knelt down.

"Hey kiddo. Take care of her for me alright? Keep her out of trouble. Your little sister graduated. She knows about you as well. She loves you and wishes she would have met you. She would enjoy having a big brother", I cried, wiping more tears from my eyes.

"I love you both very much. We will soon meet, so leave a spot for me okay? I love guys".

I kissed each tombstone and wiped the last tear that escape my eyes and walked away.

The end