- Text Size +
I walked in the building and up to Lt. Bobkay's office.

"Detective Roberts, glad you can make it. Please sit", he said, pointing to the chair. "This is Agent Morrison. He's gonna help you on this case".

"Help me? I don't need any help. I don't need a partner", I shouted, leaning forward in my chair.

"Calm down. We'll discuss this in a minute, first what do you have for me?" he asked, waving his hand at me.

"You mean the files you gave me?" I asked, making sure of myself.

"Yeah, that's why I called you in here", he replied, shaking his head at me.

"Well... first, I looked at the guys tour schedule and I notice that they perform here three times in the same week. But everytime they came here, a girl ended up missing", I stated, looking at agent Morrison.

"Detective? Your stating the obvious. We already know this", replied agent Morrison, cocky.

"Well I looked at the files of the first three girls. The first victim, ok she might be kidnapped. The second victim as a record of running away, so she might very well runaway. Now the third victim, she's a grown woman and could hate her life and move somewhere else. Who knows. Now this Randell chick, I looked at the boys schedule and they had a radio appearance the day the girl wound up missing", I presented, not even impressed with myself.

"Look Ronnie, I know that this isn't the case you normally handle, but you can you at least bare with me. It's like your not even trying. Your stating the obvious that we already know. I need something more", Lt. Bobkay, looked at me with a frown. "I have Agent Morrison here to help you".

"I don't need any help!" I repeated to him, gripping the arm of the chair.

"Look, remember I told you what happened to the other female detectives, right? Your all I have left and I don't want to lose you because you are one of the best and usually I use you for juicy cases, not like these, but right now I really need you", he whined, looking at me.

"Lt. Bobkay, if I have Agent Morson..." I started, before being interupted.

"Morrison", Agent Morrison corrected.

"Whatever, he's gonna blow my cover", I said, hoping he'll have a change in mind.

"What do you mean cover?" asked Lt. Bobkay, confused.

"I mean I need bait. The backstreet Boys have a show here Friday, I happened to score two front row tickets, and taking this cocky bastard, he will ruin my cover", I answered, feeling the urge to just laugh.

"How did you get tickets? There all sold out" complained Agent Morrison, looking at me.

"Well its nice to have a brother that works for ticketmaster" I bragged.

"Well what do you mean cover?" continued Lt. Bobkay, interested.

"Well I'm gonna find out what them boys do when they are not performing. According to their schedule, they are in town for 3 days. If I have him with me..." said, pointing at Morrison. "They are gonna think that we are together and they won't go for me because I'm not single".

"So what are you saying?" Asked Agent Morrison, confused.

"Well, I'm gonna need a female partner. Someone who's pretty. Who knows a lot about the boys. Who's not afraid to go with my plan and be used as bait", I explained, standing up from my chair and walking around the room.

"You know what? You had me fooled. I thought that you were gonna just dismissed this case because it looked like you didn't care, but your brillant Ronnie. See why she's the best?" asked Lt. Bobkay, looking at Morrison.

"Well..." Morrison trialed off before being cutt off.

"Sir, if you don't mind. I need you to find me that bait by friday. Tell her to meet me at the Maroon Cafe at 6:30 sharp. Don't be late. The show starts at 7:30. I need to tell her my plan", I informed, getting up from my chair.

"Oh Detective?" replied Lt. Bobkay, looking up from his desk. Agent Morrison was still sitting in the chair.

"Yes?" I answered, turning around to face him.

"Remember what I said. Don't fall in love. Don't listen to the sweet talk and try to avoid your heart and use your brain", he reminded me. I walked out the room and out the building.

Friday 6:30

I was waiting at the cafe. I looked at my watch, whiched seem to be the tenth time in the same minute. It was 6:30 and still no sign of her. Then my cell phone ringed.

"Hello?" I asked, still looking around the cafe.

"Ronnie, she should be there any minute. She's wearing a pink and white striped shirt that's a little off her shoulder and blue jeans. She's got long brownish blonde hair and blue eyes", answered Lt. Bobkay. "Do you see her?"

"Yeah I think", I replied, hanging up the phone. "Over here!" I hollered, waving her down.

"Hello, my name is Conner. You must be Ronnie?" she asked, shaking my hand and sitting down.

"Nice to meet you Conner. I'm glad your here with me", I smiled. I really was. She was pretty and I hoped the guys did too.

"You too. Umm...Lt. Bobkay told me everything and I'm so glad to be working with you", she smiled.

"Same here. Do you have any questions or concern about this whole situation?" I asked, concerned.

"Well my whole perspective of the backstreet boys changed", she said all the sudden. "Omg!"

"What?" I said, confused, why she was making the face. She was looking above my shoulder.

"Look who just walked in?" she replied. I followed her gaze.

"Okay, some men. What's the big deal?" I asked, still confused.

"They're not just men, they're the backstreet boys", she shrieked.

"Are you serious?" I asked, finally realizing its them.

"Yeah and they're walking toward us", she whispered to me.

We both pretended that we were having a conversation when they walked to our table.

"Well hello ladies", greeted a voice, I never heard of.

"Umm... hi", I said all the sudden, looking at Conner, who was just astonished.

"What are you too pretty ladies doing?" he asked again, staring at me.

"Umm... well we are having dinner, since we are in a cafe and they have food here, were here because we are hungry. Isn't that how it usually works?" I said, looking at him strangly.

Then I heard laughter behind him. It was a blonded headed guy that was really tall.

"Well someone is fiesty tonight", he replied, looking at me again. "Do you know who we are?"

"Well we are going to your show in 45 minutes", answered Conner, looking at her watch.

"So you will be there huh?" he said, looking at Conner then at me.

"Looks like to me we will be seeing eachother again huh?" I said, bluntly, faking a smile.

"I guess so. Come on Nick", he said, while the two out of the three men walked over to join their group.

"Well that went well", I said, laughing at Conner.

"I can't believe you. It takes balls to do that. God knows I never would", she said, taking a sip of her soda.

"Omg! Did you see them two fine ladies?" said A.J, looking at the rest of the guys.

"I know the one with the curly hair was kinda fiesty, don't you think?" asked Nick, laughing.

"Yeah, well that makes her even hotter", replied A.J, looking over at the table.

"Yeah well I have the curley hair one, you can have the quiet one", answered Nick, still laughing.

"Bull shit. It's the other way around", replied A.J, looking at Nick.

"Guys? Chill. They are human beings, not objects. Be cool about this. If everything goes well, you can have both", said Brian, butting in. "But I have to admitt, that curly hair one is hot".

"See what I mean. I get her", whined A.J instigating the argument.

"Well hey, they said they are coming to the show", replied Nick, looking at the rest of the guys.

"Cool. We'll make sure they get backstage", implied Howie, eating his food.

"Speaking of backstage, we better hurry up and eat if we wanna make it to the arena on time", informed Kevin, eating his chesseburger quickly.

The show was about to start. The two girls are in dead center, front row.

"So explain to me who they are again", I said, looking at Conner.

"Nick is the tall blonde hair one. A.J is the funny looking one with the sunglasses and funky hair and all the tatoos. Brian is the one with dirty blond hair, Howie is the spanish one with long hair, and Kevin is the one with black hair and piercing green eyes. He's the oldest one", she explained, looking at up at the stage.

"And who's your favorite one?" I asked, screaming at her so I can hear myself.

"Actually, it's A.J. The one you got all fiesty with at the cafe", she answered.

The girls starting screaming and music played really loud. Then five boys jumped out of the stage. I have to admitt, their music wasn't half bad. After the show, two big men came up to us.

"Excuse me ladies, but the guys have informed me to exscort you backstage to them. So if you would follow us", one man said. I grabbed a hold of Conner's hand and followed them backstage.

We went backstage and into a room where the five boys were. The two guards shut the door behind us.

"So we meet again" smiled a man, who I guessed was A.J.

"I guess so", I answered, looking at Conner.

"Please sit", said Nick, pointing to the couch.

"So what are your names?" Nick asked, staring at me.

"I'm Connor", she answered, pointing at herself.

"And you are?" he asked me, smiling.

"Ronnie", I answered, my eyes wondering.

"So I'm assumming your ladies are backstreet boys fans?" asked Howie, sitting beside me.

"Well she is", I quickly said, feeling somewhat uncomfortable.

"Your not?" asked Nick, sounded hurt.

"Well, tonight she had to explain to me who you guys were. So I'm assuming your Howie and you are Nick?" I said, looking at the both men.

"And you assume right", Nick laughed and looked at the other guys.

"So how do you guys like Tampa so far?" Conner asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"It's alright. We been here many times before. I have to admit, it ain't like no other place", Kevin replied, taking a seat beside Conner.

"Oh, so you been here before?" I asked, taking advantage of this conversation. If I remember correctly, Kevin is the one who enjoys a good conversation.

"Yeah. I can't get enough of this place" he answered, looking at me.

"What's so interesting about this place?" I asked, trying to get something out of this.

"Well the honey's here" A.J butted in, laughing.

"Besides that, it's a beautiful place. The parks, the beaches, the people are so friendly, well beside you", Kevin smiled at me. Then he continued. "That's why we always try to schedule some performances and appearances here because we love it so much".

"And what do you do here, besides performing or making appearance?" I asked, becoming interested.

"Well, like I said the people here are so friendly. It is peaceful here. You can bascially get away with anything", he said, before realizing what he said and quickly changing the subject.

"So what brings you here?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Work" I answered, looking at Conner. She was talking to A.J and Brian. Nick was sitting next to me.

"Well what do you do?" Nick asked me, loking at me. I leaned back on the couch.

"Well I work for an insurance company. I always get transferred to different places", I lied. Oh well, it's a part of my job.

"How long have you worked at the insurance company?" Kevin asked, looking at Conner and then back at me.

"Almost nine years", I manage to say, before realizing what was gonna happen when Kevin looked at Conner and I quickly stood up.

"What's wrong?" Nick asked, becoming worried.

"It's getting late. Conner? I think it's time for us to go" I said, giving her a 'I don't like this' look.

"Okay", she replied, walking over to me.

"Well it was nice meeting you guys, but we have to go", I quickly said, before feeling someone grabbing my arm.

"How can we meet up with you ladies again?" asked A.J, giving me a weird look.

"Well... you found us before. Maybe you can find us again" I answered and I grabbed Conner's arm and we walked out the room.

"Why did you let them get away?" asked Brian, confused.

"Huh?" asked Nick, confused as well.

"This room is sound proof. We could had them right here and now", replied Brian, getting pissed off.

"Chill Brian. It ain't like their getting far", A.J snorted back.

"What do you mean, we never let any girls get away before?" implied Brian, sitting down on the couch.

"It's okay B-rok. I have a good feeling about them girls", retorted Kevin, giving the guys a weird glance.

The next morning I was in Lt. Bobkay's office.

"So how was the show?" he asked, giving me a strange look.

"Well, it wasn't half bad. We got to go backstage and personally meet them" I answered, looking at him strangly.

"Did you find any information about them and the victims?" he asked, tapping his pen against his desk.

"Well I asked them why they are here so much and during my conversation with them, one of them said 'we can get away with anything'" I quoted, looking at him, confused.

"Well good job, but not good enough", he replied, getting up from his desk.

"Lt. Bobkay, are you alright?" I asked, looking at him.

"Well Ronnie, I have some bad news", he continued.

"Well...?" I manage to say before I was interupted.

"Last night, Conner was found dead. She was located by a dumpster down town. No evidence was found. Not any skin, sperm, particles, none", he stated, sadly.

"What do you mean? She was fine last night with me?" I asked, confused.

"This was after you dropped her off and went home", he sadly answered. "I'm sorry".

"There was no evidence found. Was she rape? What?" I asked, many thoughts going through my head.

"Well the police reported that it was a struggle and that it was a rape and she was murdered. But they did the murder so well, that police can't even find one piece of DNA or evidence", he explained to me. I felt so bad. I knew it was one of the guys I just had to prove it somehow.