- Text Size +
Chapter 12


The little Chinese man at the door resembled a mouse, or so Brian thought. The face, the pointy nose … Brian was so lost in his comparison that the little man had to clear his throat to snap him out of it.

“Sorry, long day.” Brian offered as apology. “How much will that be?”

“Theventy buckth.”

Brian paid him and included a generous tip. Here you go buddy, a little donation towards the dental savings plan. Brian snorted, drawing a dirty look from the delivery guy. Brian couldn’t think of anything else to do, so he just closed the door. No more ordering take out from Thai Chow …

Howie came down the stairs as Brian entered the kitchen. “Hey, what did you get B-Rok?”

“Something to do with bamboo sticks and a whole heap of paper napkins.”

“You sir, are a good kind man!” Howie laughed as he bounded into the kitchen.

Brian gave the Latino a curious look. “Jumping around like that is Nick’s area, what’s with you? Or did you miss what’s been happening here today?”

“I can’t help it, it’s the nervous tension. It’s either jump around or go crazy. Can I help you with that?” Howie asked indicating the brown paper packages on the kitchen counter.

“Grab some trays. How’s AJ doing?”

Howie’s expression sobered as he sighed. “He’s scared to death. Honestly Brian I think that kids’ been through stuff not too far from what Kaos went through. He’s so skittish. And he’s absolutely terrified of Kevin now. I so wish I could know exactly what those idiots said to him at the restaurant. How’s the kid doing?”

“He’s scared to death.” Brian said as he carried the food to the living room.

Howie sighed, exasperated with the whole situation. He was the first, and had gone through this exercise twice now. You’d think I’d know how to handle it by now! The situations weren’t exactly helped by the reality that was Kevin. The man was frightening, and no matter how much time passed and how well Howie had gotten used to him, he was still frightening. Howie wondered for the hundredth time how many people knew the full truth about him. “You know, if that cousin of yours would really smile it would probably make our lives a lot easier.”

“I smile, just not often.”

Brian and Howie both jumped. “That’s the second time today! I mean it Kev, one more time and you and I are going to have a serious problem!”

Kevin’s eyes crinkled at the edges. “This is now a serious problem as opposed to starvation in Africa?”

“Not even a close.”

“Ah.” Kevin said, running his finger along his eyebrow.

“How’s Nick doing?” Howie asked.

“He’s changing, I didn’t even notice that some of the biohazard had ended up on his jeans until he sat down on the bed. Or rather I put him there.”

“Will you stop insulting my cooking?!”

“Why? Everyone else does.”

Brian burst out laughing. The running word battles between Kevin and Howie concerning cooking were legendary. The problem comes from both of them loving to add lots of spices to their dishes. Unfortunately for Howie he got a little carried away once. Brian remembered the results of that particular experiment clearly. It was the first time in his life he felt like dowsing the flames in his mouth with a fire extinguisher, a thought seconded by his cousin when he offered to go find the hose. It didn’t stop Howie’s experimentation though, and although he never again achieved the same level as before he’s managed some pretty dangerous combinations since.

Brian sobered quickly though, when he caught a glimpse of Nick’s jacket hanging by the door. “Kevin, how can you be so light when everything is so … wrong?”

Kevin brought his hands up to his chin, making it look like he was praying. He thought for a few moments. “Brian, I know you and Howie are trying to hide something from me, something concerning Nick. And it doesn’t take too much effort to figure out why AJ went along with it. Did you honestly think I wouldn’t know something was up?”

“Kev we …” Howie began.

Kevin silenced him with a look when he heard footsteps on the stairs. “We’ll finish this discussion later.”

AJ heard Kevin’s last comment, and he didn’t miss the look that passed between Howie and Brian. He felt his eyes misting up again, and then felt like slapping himself. Damnit stop it!

“Hey,” Howie said in a somewhat hesitant voice, “how are you feeling?”

AJ had to clear his throat before he could answer. “Good. Better, I … the warm shower felt great. Thank you.” The last two words were directed at Kevin.

The same slight nod. The same closing of the eyes. He doesn’t say much does he? I wonder if he does it on purpose? Because if he does it’s a damn fine scare tactic! AJ thought.

“I hope you like Chinese, it’s Howie’s favorite. I thought it only fair to make it his choice tonight.” Brian said in a lighter voice, obviously trying to lighten the tension.

“Um … yeah, Chinese is good.”

“Safer too.”

“Kevin!”

Brian burst out laughing again. AJ couldn’t figure out just what was so funny, so he just stood there looking confused. Kevin noticed AJ’s expression. “Don’t worry, we’ll tell you the story.”

AJ saw the others look up when they heard Nick coming down the stairs. Everyone that is, except for Kevin. AJ turned as well, noting with relief that the kid looked much better. His eyes were still puffy and he looked tired, but otherwise he seemed fine. AJ let out the breath he didn’t know he was holding. At least the kid doesn’t seem to have any bruises … unless they aren’t on his face … He felt eyes on him and somehow knew instinctively that it was Kevin.

“Well come on, the food is getting cold.” Brian again.

“Yeah, there’s nothing worse than congealed Chinese.” Howie added, then caught the invitation just in time, “ … and don’t even think about it!”

Kevin turned, running a finger along his eyebrow.

As everyone set about sorting out the orders and settling down on the comfortable couches AJ noticed that the last bit of comedy had lifted the mood considerably. For them at least, he thought. How can they keep going up and down like this? He saw Brian beckon to him, and stepped closer to take the carton from him. “Thanks, Brian.”

“You’re welcome Aje,” Brian smiled, “you can call me B-Rok if you like. All my friends do.”

“Okay, thanks.” The misty eyes again. AJ had a feeling he was going to dehydrate before the night was over. How long has it been since anyone had called him a friend? When he turned around he saw one of the most astonishing sites he had ever witnessed.

********************************************