- Text Size +
Chapter 13



AJ froze, his overtaxed mind seemingly unable to decode the images his eyes were taking in.

Nick was sitting on the floor, next to Kevin. The kid was resting his head on Kevin’s knee as if nothing had happened. Kevin was leaning back comfortably on the couch, also as if nothing had happened. I don’t understand this ... AJ just stood there, unable to move and unable to think. If he didn’t think it was possible to be more frightened than he was that morning he was wrong. Somehow the turnaround in Nick’s demeanor was worse than a bruise would have been.

“Will you be alright with the chopsticks or should we rather get you a plate and fork?”

AJ had been so lost in thought that he hadn’t realized Kevin had locked eyes with him. AJ wondered if he looked pale because he certainly felt pale. “Umm …” he looked down at his hand and the thick bandages that covered it, “umm yeah … I think that might be better.”

“Thought it might be.” Kevin went to fetch the items himself. When he came back he helped AJ transfer the food from the carton to the plate, then helped him settle on the couch before returning to his own seat. Nick shifted, this time leaning with his back against Kevin’s legs.

AJ’s mind raced. Nothing here made sense. Nothing. Brian was Sentinel’s cousin but at the same time he was afraid of him. Howie said he was Sentinel’s friend, but he was afraid of him too. And AJ didn’t know what to make of Nick’s situation – up until this moment it had looked like every time Kevin laid eyes on Nick, the kid wished he could die. And now this: The other two were sitting there, smiling and making small talk as they ate. The kid was resting comfortably against the man he had, less than an hour ago, begged not to beat him for simply spilling a pot. AJ felt his head beginning to swim, so he tried to focus on his food to keep himself from swaying.

The food tasted good, and AJ began wolfing down his dinner. He couldn’t believe how hungry he felt – as if he hadn’t eaten anything all day. Too late, he remembered a small quirk in his physical make-up: nervous tension, stress, fear and food did not go well together with him. He felt the nausea rise in his throat and tried to fight it. It took only a moment for him to realize he was going to loose this particular battle. Only then did he realize Kevin was standing right beside him. Brian grabbed for his plate and before AJ knew what was happening Kevin had him up out of the chair and halfway across the living room to the small guest bathroom just off to the side. And it was only when his head was positioned over the bowl that he realized Kevin had firmly clapped his hand over his mouth. How did he know? But really at that time AJ couldn’t have cared less. He emptied the entire contents of his stomach in a few heaves. It was as if his body was trying to expel everything that had happened, all the fear, pain and stress of the last few hours. He dry heaved for what felt like forever. Eventually he became aware of the cold cloth resting on his neck, and another cloth bathing his face in merciful cool dampness.

“Settled?”

It was Kevin’s voice, Kevin’s arm supporting him around the waist and it was Kevin’s hand that ran the cool cloth over his face. AJ felt hot tears run over his cheeks, but he no longer cared. He had finally discovered the end of his rope, and he felt like he was barely dangling of the end of it. AJ shaked his head from side to side, and he tried to force a coherent sound from his mouth. “I … no … I …no …” Kevin pulled the chain. AJ felt the rush of cool air against his hot, tears streaked cheeks. It seemed colder than he would have expected. Everything felt wrong. The light was too bright, the air too thick. He heard his heart beating in his ears, felt his pulse in his eyes. He felt cold, so cold he was shivering. Or atleast he thought he was shivering. He couldn’t be sure anymore. He couldn’t be. He wasn’t. Every sound was at once magnified and indecipherable.

AJ felt a sting, and then blackness enveloped him.

***************************


Howie was closest to Kevin, and for the first time in a long while he saw what looked like indecision shadow over the near-perfect features of the dark man. He’s scanning him, Howie realized. He had seen Kevin do it before, but usually it didn’t look like such an effort. As Howie watched Kevin’s eyes changed color, from their normal brilliant emerald to black before he closed them. A few moments later he opened his eyes, and they were once again the startling green Howie knew them as.

“I’ll take care of him, if you’ll just help me get him upstairs.” Howie said in a low voice. He wasn’t sure for whose benefit it was though.

Kevin said nothing, just picked the unconscious young man up and carried him upstairs. By the time Howie had stored away his bag and reached the room, Kevin had already put AJ to bed. Howie watched, mesmerized, by the slow gentle movements of Kevin’s hands as they smoothed AJ’s hair back.

“I remember how that always made me feel. Cared for, you know? Just that, that somebody cared. And that that somebody would look after me.”

Kevin said nothing, he just kept stroking the young boys’ hair.

Howie tried again. “Why do you do it though? I see you do it with Nick a lot, even with Brian. Where did you learn that it had such an effect on people?”

Silence.

“He’ll be alright. He’s just going to feel pretty groggy when he wakes up. I have no idea when that will be though. I didn’t really have time to gauge the dosage properly. I may have given him a bit more than he needed.”

Kevin nodded his understanding, and left the room.

Howie looked back down at the now still form of AJ. He seemed peaceful. “You’ll be alright, don’t worry,” he whispered to the sleeping form, “you’ll be alright.”


*************************************


Kevin was exactly where Howie thought he would be: outside on the roof, gazing up at the stars.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“Erm … Brian and Nick decided to go to the movies. They just wanted to …”

“Get away from me?” Kevin said/asked.

“No, no that’s not it. They just wanted to … you know … unwind. Why would you ask that?" Howie asked, frowning.

“You know why.”

“Kevin …” Howie began.

“It’s alright, D. You’ve had along day; you should turn in. I’m just going to sit out here for a while then I’ll come in. Did Brian take the transponder with him?”

Howie swallowed. “Yeah, he did. Umm … he said they’ll just shoot down to UA and catch the early movie. They won’t be back late.”

“Good. Nick should get some rest too.” Kevin’s normally measured tone sounded more subdued than usual.

Howie stood or a moment longer, trying to think of something to say. “Kevin?”

“Yes?”

“It’s going to alright you know. It really is. Things are just … crazy right now. Just really … hard. It’ll be okay.”

“Thanks D.”

*****************************************