- Text Size +
Chapter 3


“I disappointed Kevin again.” Nick said, his shoulders sagging in dejection.

Brian asked as they entered his small office on the side of the main communications center. “Why do you say that?”

“I made a complete mess of even this small task! All I was supposed to do was take the Stage 1 brief to Mr. Keating’s office, but then … first I tripped over a power cord, sending all the papers in it flying all over the place. Then I managed to step on some of the pages leaving delightful tread marks on them. Then I gathered them up and realized too late that I should check the order. So then I get to the director’s office later than I was expected! It was a gigantic f…”

“Nick!”

“Sorry Bri, but it’s the closest description I can think of.”

“Yes well keep it to yourself.” Brian smiled though, taking the sting out of his words. “Did Kev say anything?”

Nick rolled his eyes towards the smaller blond, his expression almost screaming: Duh!

Brian laughed. “Sorry, stupid question! But, look, don’t worry about it, okay? I mean, you live with the man, if he didn’t want you around he’d have thrown you out the window by now.”

“But I piss him off, I can see it!”

“Nick!”

“Sorry! But I do, and don’t tell me you don’t see it too!”

Brian sighed. There probably wasn’t a more odd couple in the world than his cousin and the young man before him. “Nick, listen to me. Kevin cares about you. You’d have to single-handedly be responsible for the destruction of Earth before he would even have a tiny thought of turning from you, okay?”

It was Nick’s turn to sigh. “I guess. I just wish I wasn’t always so … awkward around him. It’s like my normal clumsiness multiplies by about a hundred every time I’m around him. And I can’t speak properly either, which makes me feel like a complete idiot!”

Brian chuckled at his best friend’s exasperation. “Sorry, but I can’t help it. Listen, Kevin scares everyone, okay? Even me, sometimes. And you feel like you owe him the world, of course it’ll make you nervous…”

“Brian you know as well as I do: I do owe him the world. My whole world!”

“You…” He fell silent as he heard the door open. The black-gloved hand of his cousin pushed the door open. Brian looked over to Nick, and saw the sinking expression on his face.

The man known to all but his closest relations as Sentinel walked up to them, he’s trademark graceful movement making him seem like a phantom almost, dressed in black as he was. “Brian did you contact the support units?”

“Err … no, not yet. I was just about to.” Brian realized too late that he was squirming, and cast a quick glance over to Nick, just in time to see his amused grin.

“You do realize time is a luxury we do not have at this time?”

“Yes, sorry. I’ll get right on it.” Brian turned away quickly, mentally kicking himself for reacting the way he did. Nick’s nervousness seems to be contagious!

Nick tried to clear his throat, feeling little success for his efforts. “Ah … Kevin? I’m sorry for … you know … the mess I made of the brief.”

Kevin turned to Nick, nodding his head a fraction and momentarily closing his emerald eyes. Apology accepted.

Nick realized, bizarrely, that he wanted nothing more at that moment than a hug. From Kevin.

Brian came walking back, confidence back in his step. “Alright, all set. Teams 1 through 3 will meet you at the rendezvous point.”

“Thank you.” Kevin turned and walked out.

Brian looked over at Nick. “Well.”

“What?”

“I see your head is still attached.”

“Oh funny, real funny.”

*************************************