- Text Size +
Chapter 6


AJ woke up to the strangest sensation imaginable: He was warm. And he didn’t feel any pain. Thank God! Maybe I did finally die … He had heard many times before that the first experience people had of heaven was sharp light. Well, the light in front of my eyes certainly qualifies. But there were noises, too many noises. Or at least too many familiar noises … AJ decided to risk a quick peak …

He opened his eyes to find himself staring straight into deep brown ones.
“Ah, you’re awake! Finally. Good sign too. It’s about time actually.”

What the heck was this guy saying? “Who … where?”

The man with the brown eyes had turned away after he spoke. He started turning back towards AJ when they heard a door open. The man looked in the direction of the door and smiled broadly.

“Hey there. I was just about to call you. The newest addition to your collection has just woken up.” The man, who was apparently the doctor, said with friendly humor in his voice.

“My what?”

AJ sighed with relief as he recognized the measured voice of the dark man.

“You know; the collection of strays you seem to habitually pick up?”

“D?”

“Yes Kevin?”

“Tell me something that won’t inspire my tired mind to through you out the nearest window, or shut up.”

“D” snorted with laughter; apparently unfazed by the man that seemed to frighten everyone else AJ had seen around him.

“Alright, alright! His hand is a real mess. It’s gonna need a lot more treatment before it heals completely. And he has some bruised ribs as well. Looks like our friend here had quite an interesting time before you found him.”

“Don’t tell me, tell him.”

“Huh?” The Doctor “D” looked confused.

“About his injuries. Tell him. It’s his injuries after all.” AJ could swear he heard a slight trace of humor in that measure tone.

Doctor D considered the tall figure in front of him for a while, then spoke: “What’s with you today?”

“Sleep deprivation.”

“Ah! Okay then.” Doctor D turned back to AJ. “You heard all that?”

AJ nodded his head, confused by the banter of the two men.

“D” looked back up. “You see? He knows!”

“D?”

“Yes Kevin?”

“Go find the young man some clothes. And don’t pass by any windows while within arms’ reach of me.”

“Yes Kevin!” A mock salute, and “D” disappeared towards the back of the large room.

AJ looked up at the dark man towering over his bed. “Hi,” he said uncertainly.

A small smile pulled at the corners of the man’s mouth. “Hi, how are you feeling?”
“A little lost, Sir. I don’t know where I am. And weird, Sir. My hand, I haven’t had real care like this for a really long time …” AJ’s voice trailed off.

The dark man, Kevin, AJ corrected himself, nodded his head slightly, understanding in his eyes. “What’s your name?”

“AJ …err … Alexander … McLean.”

The man tilted his head slightly. “The J?”

“Oh … sorry … it’s for James, Sir …”

“Ah.” The man, Kevin, nodded to himself. This time there was no mistaking the friendliness in his eyes. “Well, AJ, my name is Kevin. Kevin Richardson. And the bizarre creature that disappeared around the back there is Howard Dorough. Howie to some, and D. to anyone brave enough to recognize him as an acquaintance in public.”

“I heard that!” Howie called as he came walking back. Empty-handed.

Kevin merely lifted an eyebrow. It was question enough.

“There was nothing back there that would fit him. I called Nick to bring a tracksuit from storage.”

Kevin dropped his head, a definite smile now gracing his face. He ran a finger along his eyebrow as he said: “This could take a while. And several trips.”

Howie snorted with laughter, and AJ felt a tiny smile play across is lips.

“Hey, you wanna try and sit up?”

AJ looked up again at the smiling face of Doctor D and smiled uncertainly. “Sure … I think …”

Howie laughed again as he came round to AJ’s side, helping him sit upright. For a moment AJ’s vision blurred again, and he swayed slightly.

“Hey who-oh. Are you alright?”

AJ shook his head slightly trying to clear it. He smiled more bravely. “Yeah, I think I am.”

“Good, cause I’m not good at cleaning up messes …”

“That’s for sure.” Kevin said.

“Hey!” Howie tried to look insulted. Kevin’s only reply was a look that spoke a thousand words, and all of them amusing.

The loud bang from the door alerted everyone who knew him to Nick’s presence.

“Who-oh, that was fast.” Howie said in mock shock.

“Worrying.” Kevin said in his now recognizable amused fashion. Howie snorted with laughter again.

The first impression that AJ got of “Nick” was of a tall blond haired young man that seemed to move like pure energy: everywhere all at once. AJ found it confusing, it didn’t seem to faze the others however.

“Ah … here you go Kevin. I brought these for …him,” Nick said pointing at AJ, “I hope the fit alright. It’s all I could find.”

“You brought them to Howie.”

“Huh?” I was the blonde’s turn to look confused

“The clothes. He sent you.”

“Oh …”

“Sleep deprivation. Ignore him.” Howie said as he took the clothes from Nick.

“Oh.” The blond said again.

“Shoo you two while I help our new friend into his clothes, alright?”

Kevin inclined his head again and moved to the back of the room. Howie looked at Nick.

“Oh.” Nick moved warily in Kevin’s direction.

As Howie helped AJ into the clothes they had brought him, he thought to himself: Where the heck did I get myself to now. One thing I am good at is reading people. Howie seemed like a real sweet guy and the kid, Nick, seemed all right too. A little nervous, but all right.

But what worried AJ beyond anything is the puzzle that was Kevin. He couldn’t read him at all. From what he had experienced in the last few minutes he’d say that Kevin was a really nice guy. But that was before he saw the very real fear in Nick’s eyes when he looked at Kevin.

*************************