- Text Size +
Chapter 9


Twenty minutes later, the troupe of four approached the figure in black very cautiously. Thankfully his back was turned. Brian could take a moment before making their presence known.

Or not.

“Did you get lost?” Sentinel asked without turning his back.

Figures … How to answer … “Er … no we just … AJ wasn’t finished eating yet!” Brian shot AJ a quick look, impeaching him to not contradict.

AJ was fearful of either possibility. Lie to the dark man, or upset Brian and maybe get left to the mercy of Sentinel later. Then he saw the frightened look on Nick’s face, and decided to give the poor kid a break. “Um … yeah … sorry. I … well I’m not used to ... having a lot to eat … and … I’m sorry.” The same slight inclination of the head and closing of his eyes that AJ saw before told him that Sentinel accepted the apology.

“Come along then. It’s been a long day and I suspect AJ wants to get some rest right about now.”

“Um … that’d be great.” AJ was far too afraid by now to ask where they were going. The others followed Kevin without pause. AJ thought it best to just go along with that, and pray for the best.

They made their way to the parking garage, no one saying anything. AJ could sense the tenseness in the air as they piled into Kevin’s green Cherokee. Howie took the front passenger seat, with the rest of them squeezing in the back. Nick looked like he was trying to sink into the seat, huddled behind Kevin. He didn’t look up. He just kept rubbing his hands together. AJ felt bad for him … and scared to death in general.

Eventually they got to Kevin’s building. A drive of 30 excruciating minutes to AJ … and Nick. When they entered Kevin’s apartment, all thoughts abandoned AJ’s over-taxed mind as he took in the opulent surroundings. The apartment was a penthouse, and very tastefully decorated; warm earth tones making it look comforting and cozy. There was an enormous window spanning the entire wall looking out over the city in front of him. To the side wide stairs led to the top floor. Left of the living room a kitchen opened. The apartment seemed to have every comfort, luxury and a little beside that one could think of. And a few, AJ suspected, he had never even heard of.

“Whose on cooking detail tonight?”

“That would be me. And Nick.” Howie answered from the door where he was still hanging his coat.

“Good. Why don’t you two get started with that? Meanwhile, Brian would you please be so kind to prepare a room for our guest?”

“Sure thing.” Brian was hesitant to leave. He cast a quick glance to Nick, trying to reassure him with a quick smile.

“AJ, is there anything back at the junkyard that you would want to collect?”

AJ turned to Kevin, praying that he didn’t look as pale as he felt. “Um … um … Yes. There’s just this one, small metal lock-box. Everything I have is in that. I … I’d really like to get it. If I could …”

Kevin nodded his head, a small smile softening his features. “That won’t be a problem. We intend to go back out tomorrow if possible. Providing you feel up to it. You must understand AJ that this is very urgent. We cannot take our time in this.”

“I … understand. It’s just that … I’m … afraid of … after.”

Kevin turned to him. “What do you mean?”

AJ swallowed, trying to compact his frame as much as possible. “Well … after, Sir. When you have the purse and … well … I’m no longer needed. I don’t know about that. And with Tanner out there and … I …lost my job with all this and …” AJ felt tears stinging his eyes, but didn’t dare wipe at them.

Kevin sighed softly. “AJ, I promised to take care of that. And I will, you need not worry.”

“I’m sorry … I …”

“Need not say another word about it. I understand. Try to believe, please, that you are safe here. And that I have never broken a promise to anyone in my entire life. I will not let you down.”

AJ smiled shyly, not knowing what else to say.

“Do you want anything to drink?” Kevin asked as he turned to walk to the kitchen.

AJ followed him like a lost puppy. “Um … right now cold water would be great.”

Kevin smiled his soft smile again, inclining his head.

The kitchen was in the beginning stages of an enormous mess. AJ wondered if that was what Kevin had been referring to earlier about Howie’s cleaning skills.

“Looks like the refrigerator exploded in here again. Mr. Dorough what on green earth are you attempting?” Kevin said, the amusement of earlier back in his measured voice.

“Paella ala D!” Howie said with a flourish.

“Sounds hazardous.” Kevin deadpanned as he got a glass from the cupboard near the fridge. “AJ, observe where the glasses are. It won’t help you very much though as D over there is an obsessive re-arranger. Half the time I’m not even sure where what is in my own kitchen.”

AJ chuckled at that. He took the glass from Kevin, being extra careful not to drop it.

“Nick be careful!!!!” Howie cried, but it was too late. The pot Nick had had in his hands a moment ago was now on the floor, it’s contents oozing out.

Nick looked at the mess, a stunned expression on his face. He seemed to grow paler with every second that passed. The whole kitchen was dead quiet. Brian was standing at the door, unable to move or say anything. He knew, beyond doubt, that trouble was now imminent.

Kevin walked towards Nick. His pace slow, cat-like. Slowly Nick lifted his head to look at Kevin, his eyes wide and full of terror.

“Nick …”

Hearing his name spoken by the dark man seemed to jolt Nick out of his shock. He fell to the ground, kicking his heels on the floor trying to shove himself as deeply into the corner as he possible could. He threw his arms over his head and screamed: “Don’t hit me! Please! Don’t hit me! I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Please I’m sorry, I’m sorry! Please! Please! Please don’t hit me! I’m sorry!”

**********************************************