- Text Size +
It was the strangest dream. I was trapped in a big hole in my own backyard and people where all around me calling my name, trying to find me. Many voices I recognized but most I didn't. I screamed for help over and over again only to fall on deaf ears. I try to climb out of the crevice but it proved to be too big so I just fall back on my butt again and again. The boys are within inches of finding me actually walking right next to me but still. No luck...

"Yeah, well that's just fuckin great! I told you to go through that room before ANYONE else had a chance.."

Joe's voice was echoing through my head. Maybe Joe could get me out of this stinking hole. I look around for Joe but only hear murmurs and see bottoms of shoes...

"So what now? Are you going over there?"

Joe! I try to scream but no sound comes out. I hear footfalls right beside my head and realize it's pacing...

"Well, I've got my own problems here! He got out. Made it all the way up to the room and saw the Galeed"

Galeed? Where did I hear that word before?

"No, he wouldn't listen I had to throw him against the wall...no Christ calm down he is fine, just knocked him out!"

Joe? Can you hear me? Help me Joe?

"Listen Trish, I gotta go he's waking up...yes I will....no and be careful what you say! Don’t let them trick you into anything..okay..bye"

Joe? I scream jumping and trying to get out of the hole.

"Yeah Nick, I'm right here. You're gonna be okay" I felt a gentle hand wiping my forehead with a cloth. I willed myself to open my eyes and there was Joe sitting at the foot of my bed.

"Joe, what happened?" I tried to sit up but my right arm was stuck on something. He pushed me back down on the bed.

"Easy there tiger, you hit your head. Just lie back and rest." I closed my eyes trying to recall where I was and what had happened. No luck.

"Did a fan get me or something?" He looked down at me with surprise evident in his eyes. I tried to move my arm over my face to block the light but once again I had no luck.

"Why can't I move my arm Joe? Is it broken?" I tried again and that's when I started to remember. Then a sense of sheer panic overtook me as I tried with all my might to get away from the man I was sure was going to kill me. I squirmed but he pulled me back down.

"Nick you are going to tire yourself out. Relax, you need to rest." I looked over at my handcuffed right hand and wanted to cry. I jiggled it trying to set myself loose.

"It's no use my young friend, you have to learn your lesson. Nick I have been doing this for a long time. Did you REALLY think you were gonna be able to get out of here?" I was part listening to him and part still trying to break free.

"I mean, no one has EVER come close to escaping." I decided to rest a minute when the dull throb coming from my head was threatening to make me fall back to sleep.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I asked just so frustrated I almost wanted to ask him to kill me now and get it over with. He pulled closer to me and wiped my bangs out of my eyes.

"Because we love you, Jacob"

"What did you just call me?" He quickly retreated back.

"I meant Nick. Sorry, you just look exactly like my little Jacob." He had the same faraway look Trish got when she spoke of memories.

"So, is this what you did to Jacob? Throw him against a wall and chain him to a bed?"

He slapped me. I flew backwards onto the pillow and shut my eyes. He immediately grabbed me into a hug rubbing my back and crying.

"God Nick I am so sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me please Mom and dad forgive me." As he rocked me I felt my body shaking. I had always wondered what fear would really feel like. Now I knew. Every single hair on your body stands up sending chills to every pore. A taste of salty water runs through your mouth and your heart gets very tight in your chest. A feeling of total panic drips its way into your veins and you feel your head wanting to explode.

That's how I felt anyway. He finally stopped rocking me and I dropped back down on the pillow.

"Joe, can you unchain me please? I promise I won't run." He looked as if he would do it when his phone rang. He turned away from me and picked it up.

"Hello? Yeah hi what is it now?... you what?" whatever the other person was saying was not making Joe happy.

"Yes, I told you he is fine." My heart dropped realizing it was Trish he was speaking with. He then turned back my way. I winced as his arm came close to me. I think that made him feel bad. He handed the phone to me and I grabbed it with my unchained hand.

"She wants to talk to you" I nodded.

"Hello?" there was a pause.

"Nicky? Sweet pea are you all right? He didn't hurt you too bad did he?" He was staring at me intently.

"Uh..no I'm okay." He seemed to loosen up when I said that.

"Well, thank heavens. I was worried that he..well Nick just please don't make him angry." Oh great now she tells me!

"Thanks, I figured"

She laughed.

"When are you coming back here?" I asked her never thinking I would want her company again.

"I'm not sure. I've run into some complications." That made me excited. I couldn't show how pleased I was.

"Okay well hurry back soon."

"I will. You miss me baby?" Ah no but if I could choose between psycho's I would pick you!

"Yes," I decided to say instead. I handed the phone back to Joe.

"See I told you he was fine" He said winking at me. I suddenly felt violated.

"Yes, remember be cool over there Trish! don't blow it do you understand me?" He tried to whisper that but I heard it loud and clear. He hung up the phone placed it in his Jean pocket. That's probably where it was before. I'll have to remember that for the next time.

"Okay kiddo, If you promise me you won't try to run anymore, I'll set you free. Do you promise?" He looked at me with a stern Sunday school teacher type of look.

"Yes, I promise" I lied

He came over and let me out of the handcuff that bound me to the bed. I grabbed my wrist and immediately started to message it. It was bruised. Probably from my struggling. He grabbed my wrist.

"Wow I told you not to struggle. You need to start listening to me, Nick" He walked over to my freezer and took out an ice pack. He came back and placed it on my wrist.

"You asked me why you, right?" He asked me. His eyes never leaving my injured wrist.

"Trish and I spend a long time deciding who we are going to let into our little family Nick. You should be honored" He really meant it. I was supposed to be honored! God what a loony tunes!

"We saw you for the first time in 1997 on some interview. You could have been Jacob's twin. You had the same mannerisms and everything. We knew than that you would be next." He walked over to the dresser and took out an ace bandage.

"We followed your every move and were delighted to see you were doing so well. The more famous you became the less we thought it would be possible." He was wrapping my wrist so gently I just for a second pictured my dad. He looked up at me when he was done.

"Finished. Feel better?" I just nodded. He ruffled my hair and walked back over to the dresser to put the tape away.

"Anyway, we had almost given up on you when It dawned on me that with Trish's expertise, she would easily be able to penetrate the BSB camp."

"She was good. I liked her. Friendly and funny." He laughed.

"Yes, she certainly is. Then I was able to become a guard. Don't you see kiddo? Fate brought us together. This was all meant to happen." He waited for me to agree with him. When I didn't he continued.

"Destiny is a big thing Nick. You can't fight it. Everything happens for a reason right? well, consider this your destiny." Just than the phone rang again. He pulled it out of his pocket.

"Hello?" He sat up really straight and stiff as a board. A look of panic on his face.

"Yes..um. Hi. How are you doing? You kind of caught me at a bad time." He stood up and started to pace around the room.

"No..I mean not that I know of why do you ask?" He paused and glared over at me.

"Threats? Oh goodness no, AJ, I think he would have told me that" He sent another death glare my way.

Oh my God was he talking to AJ? My AJ? my heart started to race and I was full of hope. This was it. He must have seen the look on my face because in two steps he was right at my bed hand firmly planted on my mouth.

"Excuse me J could you hold on for a minute? thanks" He whispered in my ear in such a low gruffy voice it sounded like Satan himself could be speaking

"Listen carefully to me..If you so much utter one word. I will kill you and then go and kill him." His grip was so tight it was hurting my jaw. I started to shake again and was able to do nothing as he talked to my brother with me only inches away. Like a bad dream...