- Text Size +
That meeting scared me to death. I knew that Brian and AJ had found something in Nick's hotel room but I was completely unaware of the extent of information they had found. It made me sick. Sick and mad. I could have avoided this entire situation if everyone had just opened up to me. No, we had to keep secrets. If AJ and Brian told me about the phone calls, I would have taken care of it. I'm not sure how, but I would have brought it out in the open. Maybe then, Nick would have come clean about the threats. I even asked him! "God, how stupid could I have been?"

"It wasn't your fault Kevin" Howie said coming over to me and gripping my shoulder. It didn't make me feel better. I knew it was my fault.

"I should have realized it was Nick. In fact I DID. That's why I went to visit him the night before our meeting. I got a call saying someone was gonna take my baby brother"

Howie closed his eyes. "I got that call too! IF this is your fault , then it is also mine. In fact Brian and AJ all recieved the same call. We are all to blame! Come on now Kevin, we just got Brian feeling better about this. Don't take his place, besides there is only one person to blame. The person that actually took him" that being said Howie smiled at me and left down the hallway.

The person that took Nick will pay for it. It's funny because you never realize how important someone is to you until they disappear. I have always had it in my nature to watch over that boy. Even though most times I wanted to kill him myself. There's something about Nick that makes you want to protect him. He is so naive. Immature, yet smart. The thought of him held up somewhere was not making me happy.

I ventured over to the restroom for a smoke. I told everyone I quit, but since Nick's disappearance, I had started again, That's when I heard her. She was angry and nervous about something. I almost knocked she seemed so upset, until I heard those words..

"NO!! Don't kill him now! You have to wait do you understand me?" Oh my God. That made my heart jump. I pressed my ear against the door. What the hell was she talking about? "Okay good now bring him back downstairs and take some Haldol for the voices" I listened intently to every word. "So, you're not gonna kill him than right?" She was talking about killing. I heard a few more jumbled words until the most important word of all "Now, bring Nick back downstairs and go and rest." Oh my God she said NICK! How could that be possible? I panicked actually walking around in circles trying to figure out what to do next. I was just about to run for help when she opened the door.

She looked up at me and tried to brush past me but I grabbed her. I wouldn't let her out of my grasp. I was hoping I didn't hear right? Could Trish actually be talking about Nick? Our Nick? Impossible.

"Why?" I asked her holding her so tight I knew she would be bruised as a result. She nervously tried to break free.

"Kevin get off of me!"

"I asked you why Trish?" I pushed her against the bathroom door and together we landed inside.

"I..I..I have n..no idea what you are t..t.ttalking about" She was stuttering. I never let up.

"Nick! why did you take him and who were you talking too?" She looked away. I began to shake her, "ANSWER ME DAMMIT!!" She began to laugh. I loosened my grip on her. She sat on the floor.

"You have NO idea what you are talking about Kevin. I suggest you leave it alone"

"You suggest I leave it alone? Well I'm not gonna! Tell me where he is Trish!"

She kept laughing. I wanted to kill her. I've never felt that way before. If Nick's life didn't depend on it, I may very well have killed her.

"Kevin I can't tell you that. I can tell you that If anything happens to me, he will die" I couldn't believe it. Even as the words were coming out of her mouth I couldn't believe it.

"We trusted you! Nick trusted you!" I was screaming at her. She was laughing hysterically. Howie and AJ appeared at the door. At this point I had picked her up and pinned her against the wall.

"Oh my God Kevin get off of her! Have you lost your mind?" Howie said pulling me away from the crazy woman.

"Who has him Trish? Tell us now!" I screamed even as I was being forced away.

"Kevin calm down, you're not making any sense" Howie said alarm growing in his voice. Trish tried to make a run for it but was stopped by AJ.

"So..it is you?" He said. Both Howie and I looked over at AJ.

"AJ, I have no idea what you or Kevin are talking about now let me leave this room or else!" AJ didn't budge. Howie loosened his grip on me pulling away in shock. I made my way back over to Trish. I looked over at AJ.

"Call the police now!" He nodded and bolted out of the room.

She turned to me with a coldness in her eyes. I actually took a step back. I hadn't even thought about the possibility that she was a cold blooded killer. She might have had a weapon on her. I had put all of our lives in danger. Howie sneaked over and locked the door so Trish wouldn't try to escape. Now if she had a weapon, we would be seeing it.

"You have no idea what you are doing! You have just killed Nick. I hope you're happy"

"What are you talking about?" Howie asked still not fully understanding what was going on.

"Trish kidnapped Nick" I said. He was trying to grasp the new information. "Well, Trish and someone else. She won't tell me who"

"Oh my God! Trish is he okay?" Howie pleaded with her. The glow in her eyes told me that is exactly what she wanted.

"No, he isn't. I luckily calmed down my partner but it won't happen twice. If he doesn't hear from me. He will kill Nick! You have to let me go" Howie and I looked at each other trying to make up our minds just as the police ran to the door...




I opened my burning eyes to see a blur. My head throbbed and I couldn't sit up. I licked my chapped lips trying to make enough saliva to swallow. I tasted blood. I placed a hand on my face to feel blood coming from one of my cheeks. I moaned. I moved my hand upwards to feel the huge bump on my head. I felt the back of my stiff neck, again my hand came back bloody.

What the hell happened to me? I rolled over on my side. I was on a cold floor. I noticed my bed lying upside down in the corner. I tried to sit up again only to feel a shooting pain in my right shoulder. I slid myself over to the bathroom. I would use the tub to help me stand up.

I got into the bathroom and forced myself into a sitting position even though my entire body racked with pain. Come on Nick, you can do this! The cold porcelain felt good on my back. I sat there for a minute trying to get my bearings. I vaguely remembered the fight. Me struggling with Joe. He was talking to someone important. Someone I desperately wanted to talk to. One of the guys I think.

Joe? I wonder if he was caught. Maybe AJ..yeah it was AJ, maybe he heard me. The adrenaline gave me the energy I needed to grab on to the tub and lift myself off of the floor. I screamed from the pain. Come on come on you can do this! Nick don't wuss your way out of this! I talked myself through the pain and managed to get a look at myself in the mirror. I didn't even recognize the reflection staring back at me. I was pale. Really pale. My hair was a matted mess of blood and my clothes were ripped. I had dried blood all over my face and neck. I took a minute and washed some of the grime off of me with a damp towel. It felt good on my skin. If I had all the time in the world I would've jumped into the tub for a nice hot bubble bath. I paused gripping the sink as a wave of dizziness overtook me. I closed my eyes willing it to pass. Luckily it did. I limped out of the bathroom into my main living area.

Signs of a struggle were everywhere. It looks like I gave Joe a good fight. I smiled at the idea. I knew I had to get out of there. If Joe was still here. He was mad. I went over to the bed and tried to remove one of the metal poles holding the bed in place. They were a little loose from being thrown. I jiggled it and played around with it until it finally became free and fell on my lap. Excellent! That's when I heard the door open. I quickly hid the pole next to the bed and took my original position lying face down on the floor...




The police entered the bathroom in need of an explanation. I had breifly toyed with the idea of not saying anything, but I couldn't.

"This woman is responsible for Nick's kidnapping" I said. I looked away as they cuffed her hands.

"You have the right to remain silent.." the officer was saying in the background.

"I didn't do anything!" She kept screaming over and over again. Howie, AJ and I watched as the arresting officer finished reading her, her rights and began to escort her out of the room.

"You just killed your brother!" She screamed. "I hope you're happy!"

"We're running out of time" Howie said. The thought sent chills down my spine...