- Text Size +
Chapter 2: The Phone Call

Rayvin froze on her spot as she locked her eyes on her crush. Savanna gently nudged her for her to walk forward so they could order food.

“Calm down, Rayvin! It’s not like you’re never going to see him again. He gave you his flippin number!” Savanna whispered as they got into line. Rayvin sighed as she watched him eat, then suddenly felt like a stalker and faced forward.

After they ordered their food, Rayvin turned around again and he was gone.

“He’s gone!” Rayvin cried out.

“Don’t worry about it. He probably had some things to do,” Savanna replied, walking towards a table for them to sit at. To their luck, they sat at the table he had sat at only to find writing on a napkin saying: Meet me at 7:00 tomorrow night by the phone booths by the movie theaters. I’ll be using the middle phone.

“I’m meeting him tomorrow,” Rayvin smiled, putting the napkin in her pocket.

“Sounds like a secret kind of way to ask you out. Cute!” Savanna cooed. “I wish I had a stalker-like secret man asking me out!” she mocked.

"Shut up and eat your meat-wedge thing,” Rayvin smiled, throwing a napkin at Savanna.

Finishing up their lunch break, they walked back to the music store and finished their day there. They had to stay a little longer because it was payday. Receiving their checks, they went and cashed them and then split ways and went home.

As Rayvin pulled up into her driveway, she rolled down her window and punched in her code and the gates to her house opened. Then she hit the garage opener button and the garage opened. She parked her car in the garage and got out. She hit the gate button and the gates closed and she went inside.

Throwing her keys on the counter in the kitchen, she checked her messages. No new ones.

Figures, she thought to herself, opening her refrigerator. She pulled out the carton of orange juice, grabbed a cup and poured some into it. Putting it back in her fridge, she pulled out her crush’s number and went over to her phone, taking it into the living room. Her hands slightly shook as she turned the phone on and stared at the number.

She stared at the number so long without doing anything that the dial tone disappeared and there was beeping. It startled her and she turned the phone off. Rayvin turned the TV on and flipped through the channels and when she realized nothing really good was on, she just left MTV on.

Call him Rayvin. Just frickin do it! She yelled at herself. She took a deep breath and turned the phone on, dialing his number. Putting it to her ear, it rang.

“Sup this is Nick. If you’re getting this, I either don’t have my phone around, it’s off, or I just don’t want to talk to you. Leave me a message and I’ll think about getting back to you,” his voicemail rang. His voice made Rayvin quiver.

God he sounds so sexy! She smiled. She hung up before the beep. She decided that she would call the next day to confirm the date.

The next morning, Rayvin woke up to the phone ringing. She reached over to the phone, picking it up.

“Hello?” She replied, still half asleep.

“Who is this?” the voice on the other end asked.

“Who is this?” Rayvin replied, waking up a bit more, sitting upright in bed.

“You called my phone,” the male replied.

Rayvin’s eyes widened. “I’m Rayvin.”

Dial tone.

Rayvin knew exactly who it was. She smiled and got up, putting the phone back in its cradle, walking to her bathroom, undressing and getting into the shower.

By noon, she was dressed and ready for the day. She called Savanna and they decided to meet up at the mall and do some shopping for her mystery date that night.