- Text Size +
Chapter 11:

My heart was still beating rapidly as I placed Chase into the car seat. He was happily eating the ice-cream I had bought him just a few minutes before and smiled up at me. My head felt as if it were still spinning, I didn't want to believe what had just happened.

I had successfully been able to keep Chase a secret, as much as it hurt me to do so, and now... So many mixed thoughts were racing through my head at the moment, that it was making me dizzy.

" Mommy otay? " Chase asked swallowing a small spoonful of icecream.

I looked at him as I pulled up to a stop light. I couldn't help but let a small laugh escape at the sight before me. Chocolate icecream marks around his lips, and on his hands, making him all too adorable.

" Yeah, sweetie. Mommy's fine. "

*****

" When Auntie Staz come? " Chase asked as I pulled his pajama shirt over his head.

" She'll be here soon, " I said and smoothed his shirt out. " Now get into bed and I'll read you a story, then it's time to go to sleep. "

" Me no tired! " Chase shot, crinkling his nose.

" I think you are, " I said. " What story do you want to read? "

" Homas Cat, " Chase said pointing to the book that sat among a pile of other books.

I retrieved the book and sat down on the bed, my son cuddling in my lap. " Oh yeah, " Thomas Cat ". We haven't finished this one
yet... " Chase snuggled deeper into my arms and let out an exhausted yawn.



" ...Thomas had finally found his way home. He vowed never to wander off on any crazy adventure again, well at least not too far away. The boy's father picked him up and pet him. Thomas purred affectionately.
" Welcome back, Thomas. Welcome back. " Thomas replied with a " meow " as the boy's father placed him on his son's bed. Happiness filled Thomas' heart and he drifted to sleep. The end. " I closed the book and stood up from the bed, tucking Chase under the covers.

" Hello? Where is everyone? " Nastasia called out as she walked through the front door downstairs. I told her not to bother knocking, that my home was just as much Nastasia's home.

" We're upstairs, " I yelled in reply, moving a strand of my sandy-blond hair that had fallen in my face.

" Auntie Staz! " Chase yelled, sitting up. His face shown tiredness.

A second later, I could hear my friend's footsteps pounding up the stairs and she poked her head into Chase's doorway.

" Hey Laurie. Hey there sleepy head, " Nastasia said, holding one hand behind her back, a mischevious gleam in her eyes. " I've got something for you... " She crept closer to the bed.

" Oooooohhh, " Chase said quietly.

Nastasia whipped her hand out from behind her back, revealing a bright yellow, Pooh Bear doll.

" POOH! " Chase said excitedly and reached his hands out for the bear, Nastasia willingly handing it to him.

" Oh great, another stuffed animal, " I said sarcastically with a smile.

" Sorry Laurie, I couldn't resist. I stopped at the store on the way over here and well, you know me. I saw it near the cash register and I know how Pooh is his favorite, so I had to get it for him, " Nastasia laughed watching as Chase played with the bear.

" Well, that adds another one to his growing collection, " I stated pointing towards the small mountain of stuffed animals stationed in a small corner of my son's room.

" Danks, Auntie Staz! " Chase said, engulfing Nastasia in a hug and placing a small kiss on her cheek.

" Anytime, Chazzie. I'm glad you like it. "

" Alright, sweetie. It's time for bed now, " I said, placing Chase back under the covers.

" Mommy? " Chase asked quitely, his eyes beginning to droop with sleepiness. It was clear the sandman was soon to visit.

" Yeah? "

" Where my Daddy? "

The question caught me completely off guard and my heart jumped to my throat. My face went completely pale and I looked at Nastasia, who held the same expression.