- Text Size +
Chapter 12:

I fell completly silent as my son stared at me, waiting for an answer. I couldn't force the words out of my mouth. I was glad when Nastasia nuzzled up next to him in his bed.

"Do Chazzie got daddy?" Chase asked her, his brown eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"Yes...you do..." Nastasia hesitated, I closed my eyes. This was it, I was just going to die right here. The earth was going to open up and God was going to swallow me whole.

"Where is Chazzie Daddy?" Chase asked her.

"Chazzie Daddy...well...Chase, you're daddy is away right now. He's hiding from you...he's just playing a game with you. And you know what? I bet in a few days...he'll come out and say, 'BOO!'" Nastasia said softly as she began to tickle Chase's little ribs. Making him cry out with laughter.

"Miss daddy, want daddy now..." Chase said after a few silent moments.

"Tuff stuff kiddo. You only got Auntie Staz and Mommy right now." She said with a wry grin, "You want us to leave just for daddy?"

"DO LEAVE! AUNT STAZZIE STAY! MOMMY NO LEAVE!" Chase repeated with a pout, I laughed as I watched Nastasia kiss him softly on the cheek.

"I'll never leave baby. Neither will mommy."

"Dood." Chase said as he settled into his bed, his eyes growing heavier by the moment. Nastasia smiled as she covered him with the blankets. "Daddy be home doon?"

"Very." Nastasia smiled as he fell asleep. She kissed his flushed cheek once more and pulled me out of the room, I felt frozen as she shut the lights off and tugged me forcefully down the steps. Somehow I knew she was going to give me an earful...