- Text Size +
Chapter 20:

I could never forget the hard stares I recieved from everyone yesterday. I guess the looks came from pure surprise more then anything, they had never expected this. It made me feel so small and alone. It was one of the worst days of my life.

It effected Chase greatly, like I knew it would. I began to wonder if I had made the wrong decision by ever taking Chase to meet A.J...He needed his father, but he also needed his father to accept him.

Any time alone I had got, I cried, hiding my tears from my confused son. It angered me so much that A.J had acted like that. I wasn't sure if I could ever face him again...

I was sitting on the couch dazing into space while Chase lay sprawled out on his stomach on the floor, half-asleep, half watching some cartoon on T.V. I kept thinking back to the horrid day before, how A.J so blandly denied Chase. That's what hurt me the most. I had yet to hear from Nastasia, she never called. In a way, I was worried. I soon began to realize that it was A.J I was worrying about. Why? I had no idea. He hated me and though hate is a strong word, I had enough anger bottled inside me to say the same thing about him. At least at that moment...

The phone rang, creeping it's way into the eerie silence of my thoughts. I didn't even realize it until Chase jumped up from his spot on the floor, now wide awake and ran into the kitchen to grab the phone.

" Wha-tup? " he asked in his tiny voice.

" Hey there, Chazzie, " Nastasia said with a laugh, surprised to hear him answer the phone.

" Auntie Staz! " Chase yelled excitedly. That got my attention. He didn't even have to say her name and I would have already known who he was talking to because he always got really excited.

" How's my favorite little man? " Nastasia asked.

" Me dood! " Chase replied with a grin bright and wide. " We go see Poke-mon 'day? "

" Sorry Kiddo, not today. But, I promise we will real soon, ok? "

" O-tay, " Chase sighed sadly.

" Where's your Mommy? "

" She watch Chuckie and Tommy wit me! "

" Rugrats? Cute...Let me talk to her, ok sweetie? "

" O-tay. " Chase ran over to me and gave me the phone. " Auntie Staz talk to you! " he said and flopped down in front of the t.v again.

" Hey Staz... " I said quietly, not much in the mood to talk, but part of me wanting to.

" Hey Laurie, um...how are you doing? " Nastasia asked, moving a strand of loosely fallen hair out of her eyes.

" I'm fine, I guess. Why? "

" No reason... "

" I've been better, " I stated coldly.

" I can imagine... " Nastasia began. I could hear her take a deep breath and then pause. " I'm really sorry about how A.J- "

" Don't even start, " I interrupted, letting my anger slip. I couldn't believe she was trying to apologize for the way he had acted. " How can you apologize for him? How can you even begin to? "

" Laur, he's like a brother to me and I'm just sayin'- "

" No! It's not your fault that he can't except the fact that he's got a son! "

" He was shocked. Give him a little bit of time and then try talking to him again. "

I was becoming more angry by the second. " Why? So he can deny Chase for a second time?! "

" No, because Chase needs his father! "

" Yes, he does, but he ALSO needs his father to accept him! "