- Text Size +
Chapter 25:

I stood there, my wet hair fizzing with the heat as AJ stared at me. Our eyes locked for an instant and I thought I saw the fire back in his eyes, but maybe I didn't.

"Mommy, Daddy take me to da Poke-mon movie!" Chase called excitedly to me as he wrapped his arms around my legs. I patted his head effortlessly, still staring at AJ.

"How 'bout you go take Pooh to your room...You have...some cleaning to do there little man." I said finally managing to tear my eyes away from AJ to look at my son. Although it was like looking at a mirror of AJ.

"Oh da I have to?" Chase mumbled.

"Chase Alexander..." I moaned, laughing a bit on the inside, this was such an awkward posistion for me. AJ still keeping his eyes on me as his son started a fight.

"Go icedream with Aunt Staz later?" Chase asked hopefully, his brown eyes lighting up with excitment.

"Staz and I aren't too cool right now Chaz." I moaned, AJ still watching.

"PDEAAAASE?" Chase begged.

"All right. We'll call her in a few minutes." I replied, giving up the fight. If it could get Chase away for a few moments, the better. "Go get the room clean Mister."

"Yes d'am!" Chase smiled as he ran back to AJ and threw his tiny arms around him. I watched in shock as AJ placed a gentel kiss on Chase's forehead. "Wuhve Daddy!"

"Love you too Chaser." He laughed.

"Come visid mommy and me?"

"Anytime." He grinned as I watched Chase run up the stairs, eager and totally alert. I watched AJ lean casually on the doorframe as he watched me.

"Can we talk?" He asked me after a few moments of awkward silence. I gazed at him shocked as I stood there, guarding my territory.

"Why'd you bring Chase home?" I demanded, anger creeping into my voice.

"Cause I spent the night with Stazzie and we took him to the movie."

"Why'd you spend the night with Staz?"

"Cause I like hanging out with my best friend and I wanted to know my son a little better." AJ responded to me, I could hear the irritation dragging in his voice.

"Why? You denyed him before, Alexander. Why the sudden change?" I asked, feeling my heart grow cold. He looked so innocent standing there in my doorway, but he wasn't. He never would be innocent to me. Just another snake...that I loved.

"I'm sorry about that okay? I promised Stazzie we wouldn't fight. This hurts her and Chase you know."

"Stop it! God, I hate it when you're right!" I moaned, AJ looked like he got a bit of satisfaction out of my response. I boiled again.

"So, anyway. I know he's my son. And I want to spend more time with him. I'm accepting full responsibility. I'm not saying you need to start being my friend again, I just don't want fighting. I just want to see Chase." AJ spoke with clear maturity, which surprised me a bit. Was this the same guy who threw water balloons out of the hotel room? The same one who threw Nick out of the hotel room in his boxers? The same one I had loved?

"Uh...when do you want him?" I asked, feeling stupid for what I had just said.

"With me being on tour it'll get kinda crazy. But I was thinking every weekend, starting with this Friday? Then like when I'm on tour I could fly him in for a bit, I mean Stazzie will be there too..."

"Uh...Ok..."

"You're all right with this?"

"Yes." I replied dumbfounded.

"So I can pick him up on Friday?" AJ asked a little too eagerly.

"After three." I replied.

"If you need anything for him just tell me too. I'll provide for him...I can do that ya know...."

"I have enough money thank you." I replied tartly, anger still heating a bit.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that." AJ said, backing down a bit, "So Friday then?"

"If you answer me one question."

"Fine."

"Why all of a sudden you want him?"

"Because, Stazzie did some fast talking with me. She has a way with words. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be here right now. I owe her the world...And you do too."

With that he just hopped down the steps, waving to Chase. Chase stared out the window of his room. I was dumbfounded, Nastasia did all that? Wow...Just like that...