- Text Size +
Chapter 28:

The whole way to Nastasia's, I thought of what I would say to her. I hated to think she was so angry with me. It was very rare for her to ever get this angry with me or anyone. But, I guess she had a good reason.

I pulled into Nastasia's driveway ready for what I had to say to my friend, to make ammends with her. I got out of the car and walked around to the passenger side to take Chase from the car seat. I grabbed the plastic bag containing the icecream, Chocolate Chip Mint, Chase's favorite, off of his lap and placed it on the pavement and proceeded to un-buckle my son. After shutting the car door, I picked up the bag and followed my son up to the front door. Chase began to repeatedly ring the doorbell. I couldn't help but laugh at the giggle he let out.

I could hear someone shouting from inside to hold on and a second later the door opened and Howie appeared in the doorway.

" Owdie! " Chase yelled and stretched his arms to be picked up.

Howie bent over and took the boy into his arms. " Hey there kiddo. Uh, hey Lauren... "


" We bwing icedream! " Chase said pointing at the bag hanging from my hand.


" Really? That's great! I could go for some icecream right now, " Howie said, ruffling up Chase's hair.

Chase let out a giggle. " We go for icedream doo? " he asked with a confused look.

Howie laughed and shook his head. " No, I meant I'd like some
icecream. "

" Go get boe Owdie! Go get boe! " Chase said, pointing his finger in the direction of the kitchen.

" Alright kiddo, let's go. " Howie took Chase inside and I followed.
" So, how's it going, Lauren? "

" Ok, I guess... " I stated slowly.

" Is that my Chazzie I hear? " Nastasia asked from the kitchen. A minute later she appeared with a bright smile on her face, but it soon dimmed when she noticed me.

Chase squirmed in Howie's arms until he placed him on the ground. Chase ran over to Nastasia, who instantly took him into a hug. " We bwing icedream Auntie Staz! "

" Oooh, what kind Chazzie? "

" Choc-kit chip mint! "

" Sounds good. How about you and Howie go take it into the kitchen and dish up while I talk to your Mommy? "

" O-tay. C'mon, Owdie! Dow! "

" Right behind you, Chase. "

As soon as Howie and Chase were in the Kitchen, Nastasia fixed her attention at me. " So um, how come you came over? "

" Because I never got a chance to really apologize because you sorta hung up on me and I feel I need to apologize for how I acted. "

" You're right, you do need to. "

She could be so stubborn sometimes. " I guess I had no excuse for acting the way I did, and there was NO excuse for me taking it out on Chase. "

" You're damn right there wasn't. I don't even know what- "

" I'm sorry ok? " I sighed loudly even though I had expected Nastasia to act like this. " Listen Staz...I didn't come over here to start a fight... "

" Well...too bad sweetheart...cause you did, " Nastasia snapped back, her words cold and full of anger. I stood back, my eyes wide with surprise. " Sound familiar, Lauren? " I saw her eyes soften as tears welled up in my own.

" I...I said I was sorry, damnit! " I managed to say.

Nastasia closed her eyes for a minute and sighed. " Ok, let's just stop. Apology accepted, ok? It's just, I've never seen you get after Chase like that before, especially when he hasn't done anything and it really pissed me off. You know how I'm against it. And...maybe I overreacted. "

"Maybe just a little." I replied with half a grin. Nastasia looked at me with great confusion, then smiled too. I knew our fight was over. Simple as that.

"Anyway, how did AJ act when he dropped Chazzie off?" Nastasia asked as Howie yelled for us to come eat our now melting icecream.

"He was cool. He's so serious about Chazzie. He's even picking him up on Friday." I replied, my heart lightening with one of the first true smiles I had had in a few days.

"Decent." Nastasia nodded.

"Time for icecream?" I asked.

"You mean iecdream?"

"Yeah...Icedream."