- Text Size +
Chapter 3:

It wasn't long after Nastasia left that I headed inside with Chase. I needed to get out of the sun anyways. It was around 1:30 or so in the afternoon, Chase began to constantly remind me he was hungry. " You're always hungry, " I would tease him lovingly. Just one more characteristic he inherited from his father.

As I stood at the counter preparing my son's lunch, I couldn't help but laugh while I listened to the 3 1/2 year old boy, sitting in front of me, rambling on and on.

" And den, Emma...Emma shared...da blocks, " Chase explained.

" Oh, really? " I laughed. Emma was one of the girls in Chase's room at daycare. 3 1/2 years old and already a lady's man, or girl's boy...I laughed again.

Chase nodded anxiously. " Uh-huh, uh-huh. She koot! "

I laughed again. He cracked me up. The way he said cute as " koot " was too adorable. " You're funny, sweetie " I said as I scooted the plate over to him; on it included half a turkey and cheese sandwich, a pickle and some chips.

I stood there watching my son begin to scarf down the food and trying to decide on wether not I wanted anything. I ended up deciding I wasn't hungry and just stood there, once again getting lost in my memories.

It were as if A.J had completely shunned me from his life. I had endlessly tried calling him, but he never accepted my calls. I soon gave up hope. I had never meant for it to end like it had. I had never meant for it to end at all. I regretted ever going out to dinner with that guy that one night, I regret ever making that mistake. I never had any intentions of doing anything, and I never did. I loved A.J with all my heart and soul, and he never gave me a chance to explain. I don't blame him for reacting the way he did. I probably would have reacted the same way if I were him...

I was suddenly brought back to the living world from my trance-like state when the ringing of the phone jarred my thoughts. I walked over to the wall beside the fridge and grabbed the cordless phone.
" Hello? "

" Lauren? "

I instantly recognized the southern drawl in the man's voice on the other line; one that I knew so well, but hadn't heard in a long time.
" Hey, Brian, " I said with a sensed smile.

" Ah, dang. Ya recognized me, he said, being jokingly disappointed.

" Sorry, Bri-Bear, " I laughed. " What's up? "

" Um...nothin'. Nastasia just got here a few minutes ago. So, with no surprise, Howie got off task and is talking to her at the moment. Basically, we're all taking a break, so I thought I'd call ya, " Brian said in one breath. " Haven't heard from ya in a while. Ya tryin' to avoid me or somethin'? "

" Me? Avoid my Bri-Bear? Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing. You guessed it, " I joked as I shifted the phone to my other hand and kept a steady watch on Chase.

" Oh * sniff *...I see how it is...I'm feelin' the love, " Brian said in a hurtful tone.

" I'm just playin', " I stated with a laugh. " I've just been busy lately. "

" The last time I talked to you was like...uh...3 months ago? I
think. "

" I've just been really busy, " I lied. I always enjoyed talking to Brian. Next to Nastasia, I always considered him my best friend. I had grown really close to him during the time I had been with A.J, and considered Brian a brother.

" Too busy to hang out with your best bro...I see how it is. Nah. Anyways, Howie and Nastasia were making plans to go out to dinner this week and invited me to come along, under one condition... "

" And that would be? "

" Uh...you have to come with me... "

" Hmmm, I don't know... " I joked.

" Yeah, you know you want to come. "

" Alright, alright. I'll go. How could I say no? "

I watched as Chase climbed down from the chair he was sitting on and walked over to me with his cup, holding it up to me. " More duice, " he said with one of those juice rings around his mouth.

" Who was that? " Brian asked, curiously.

I hesistated. I had never told him and I couldn't. So I made a lame attempt at changing the subject. " So, when is this dinner supposed to take place? " I asked, taking the cup from my son.

" Um, I think D said something like Thursday or Friday. Something like that... "

" Alright, sounds like - " I began, but cut myself off when I heard a familiar deep voice filter into the phone from the background.

" Yo, Rok! Get off the phone man! We gotta get back to rehearsin'! "

I nearly dropped the phone when I heard him. I hadn't heard his voice in a long time, and it was like an electric shock to hear it just now. And he sounded just like himself; A.J.

" Crap. I hate to cut this short, but uh, I gotta get back to rehearsin'. Talk to ya later Laur. It was great talkin' to you again, " Brian said and hung up before I had a chance to say goodbye. I could tell the phone had been ripped out of his hand and hung up for him.

I turned around and hung up the phone, my back facing my son as he patiently waited for his juice. " What are you lookin' at ? " I grinned.

He looked up at me innocently and pointed at the cup. " Duice. "