- Text Size +
Chapter 30:

A.J sat there stunned, his cheek burning with heat as it turned a deep red color from the slap. He stared blankly at the front door until reality hit him completely and he stood up and slammed his right fist into the nearest wall with complete and utter rage. " SHIT! " he cried out in pain, squeezing his eyes shut as he sank to the floor and let the tears begin to spill.

His hand was red and throbbed with pain, but that wasn't what hurt him the most. What did, was the fact that Amanda walked out on him and would not come back. He knew her too well - she wasn't coming back.

" Goddamnit, " he swore between his continuous sobs of hurt and anger. He heard tiny footsteps pounding down the hall and Chase burst into the living-room.

" Whad wong, Daddy? Chase asked, clueless as to what happened. A.J couldn't find his voice to answer. Chase's bottom lip began to quiver as tears welled up in his eyes when A.J didn't answer him. " Daddy? " Still getting no response out of his father, he began to cry.

A.J looked at his son and forcefully brushed his own tears away. He reached out and brought Chase into his arms, trying to calm the crying child. He sat there holding his son in complete silence, his head exploding with thoughts.

He felt as if his whole world was turning upside down and now the love of his life had just walked out on him, leaving him to feel all alone.

He couldn't handle this at the moment. This was all too much for him to handle. He stood up with Chase in his arms, his hand still throbbing. " C'mon, buddy. Y-you wanna go watch Pokemon again? " he asked as calmly as he could.

Chase nodded and pointed to his Pooh Bear on the couch. " P-pooh. "

A.J walked over to the couch, retrieving the Pooh Bear and began to take Chase back to the DvD room, placing him back on the large couch. " I-I'll be right back... "

*****

Nastasia had just walked through her door when the phone began to ring. She slammed the door shut and ran through her living-room, throwing her car keys on the coffee table. " Hello? "

" Stazzie? "

" J, hey! How's it going? "

" You need to come get Chase... "

Nastasia could hear the distress and sadness in her friend's voice. Something was not right and she began to worry. " Why? A.J, what's wrong? "

" Just please, Stazzie. Come get him... "

" What happened? "

" Damnit Nastasia, just come get him! " A.J hung up the phone hastily and threw it to the couch. He made his way to the kitchen and over to the freezer for ice, his right hand being some what swollen.

Nastasia stared at the phone dumbfoundedly as the dial tone sounded. Something was defenitely wrong. She grabbed her keys and rushed out the door.

*****

Nastasia burst through A.J's door and found him sitting on one of the couches in the living-room, with his head in one hand and the other hand wrapped in an ice-pack. As she got closer, she could tell he was sobbing quietly to himself. This worried her even more. " A.J? A.J, sweetie, what happened? " She crouched down in front of him and waited for him to give any response. " J? "

A.J looked up at her through teary eyes. " S-she...left...me... " he managed to choke out.

Nastasia looked at him quizzically, confusion washing over her face. " What? Who did? "

" Amanda... "

Nastasia was surprised at what he said. It didn't make sense. They loved each other, and she left him? It didn't sound right.
" Omg...why? "

He hated to even think why, but he might as well tell her. He had sacrificed his relationship for the love he had for his son. He stared at the ground as he answered, unable to look at Nastasia, as if he were ashamed. " B-because of Chase. S-she got mad and wouldn't accept him. She told me it was either him or her. And...damnit, Stazzie! He's my son! What did she expect me to say?! "

Nastasia listened in complete shock as A.J explained what had happened. She couldn't believe that Amanda would do that to A.J. It didn't sound like her at all. They had a perfect a relationship, and now it was all over. " Oh sweetie... " She felt her heart go out to him as she embraced him in a hug. After a few minutes she pulled back once A.J had somewhat controlled his emotions and was silent. She saw his hand wrapped in an ice pack and instantly became more worried. " A.J, what happened to your hand? "

A.J stared down at his swollen hand foolishly as it shook from trauma. He couldn't even answer the question. " Y-you gotta take Chase for me. I...I can't handle having him here right now... " It hurt him to even say the words, but he knew it would do Chase no good if he were to stay there right then.

" But A.J, you promised him... " Nastasia began. She didn't want to see A.J act so weak.

" Please, Stazzie. You gotta understand...I just don't think I can handle this right now. I wouldn't have called you if I thought I could handle it, but right now I can't. Please, Stazzie... " Tears glistened in his eyes, pleading with his friend.

Nastasia sighed. She could just imagine how Chase was going to be. She didn't want to do it, but she understood where A.J was coming from and she knew it wouldn't be good for Chase to stay there at the moment.
" W-where is he? " she asked quietly.

" Watching Pokemon in the DvD room, " A.J answered as he stood up.

" I'll go get him, " Nastasia said, turning away from A.J and heading down the hall. She entered the room that was eluminated only by the tv. Chase was so into the movie that he didn't hear her as she entered the room. " Hey Chazzie... "

" Auntie Staz! " Chase said grinning towards her.

" Watcha watching? "

" Poke-mon! "

" Wow, looks really cool! "

" Yeah! "

" I have an idea...how about you come over to my house and we'll watch Pokemon there, " Nastasia said, trying her best to word it.

" Daddy too? "

" Um, no. Your Daddy is going to stay here... "

" No. Me stay wit Daddy. "

Nastasia sat down next to him. " Chazzie, you need to come with Auntie Staz, ok? "

" No! Me stay wit Daddy! "

" Chaz...you have to. Daddy needs to...be alone right now and said it would be ok for you to come stay at my house, ok? "

" No! "

Nastasia tried to take Chase into her arms, but he pushed her away with tiny force. " C'mon Chase... " After some difficulty, she got him into her arms, which sent him into hysterics as she began walking out of the room.

" No Auntie Staz! No! Me stay wit Daddy! "

A.J looked up at his son in sorrow as Nastasia entered back into the living-room.

" NO! ME STAY WIT DADDY! " Chase yelled with tears streaming down his face, his arms outstretched to A.J as soon as he saw him.

A.J took him into his arms for a hug. " Shhh, buddy. It's ok. I'll come get you from Auntie Staz's house later, ok? "

" NO DADDY! NO! "

" I'll call you later Staz, " A.J said, handing Chase back to Nastasia who didn't reply. Chase clung to A.J's shirt. " I'll see you later Chasers. I love you. "

" DADDY!!! "

A.J collapsed onto the couch as he listened to Chase repeatedly screaming outside.