- Text Size +
Chapter 35:

I found myself choking up as I stared at him. His eyes seemed glazed over with confusion. His sensual lips curved into a small smile. I found my heart beating faster as he continued to stare at me.

"Lauren?" I heard him call out in question. I knew the doctors had given him sedatives to calm his nerves and to calm the pain.

"Hey...." I smiled, suddenly I felt so shy. God, I hated that he had that affect on me. It made me angry, but then it made me tingle inside...

"Where's Stazzie?" He asked.

I felt jealousy stab at my heart. I was in there and he wanted Nastasia. But I silently scolded myself, she was his best friend, and after all I was just his ex-girlfriend...

"She's...." I was about to answer but then I heard a knock on the door. I saw Nastasia walk in slowly, her figure hidden under AJ's baggy clothing. Then Chase came in with Howie holding his hand. I cursed my luck, I just wanted to be alone with him.

"Stazzie?" AJ smiled.

"JJ!" Nastasia whimpered as she rushed to his side. She wrapped her slender arms around his neck and held him in a tight embrace. He welcomed her arms but encircling his good arm around her.

I felt the jealousy rear it's ugly head again.

"God, I'm so glad you're all right..." I heard Nastasia laugh, I saw the unshed tears glistening in her eyes. She was still strong as she held AJ tightly. I was impressed.

"I'm so sorry....I never....I'm...." I heard AJ mutter into Nastasia's silky hair. Chase, Howie, and I watched silently at this moment. AJ and Nastasia had a certain stage presence about them, when they were together, it was unbelievable.

"It's ok...I...JJ..." Nastasia whispered back, I only caught half of their talk, which upset me. I wanted to know what they were talking about.

"Daddy?" Chase asked suddenly, as he noticed who was lying in the bed. I watched as Chase ran and scrambled into AJ's awaiting arm. He hugged his father tightly as AJ kissed his cheeks.

"Hey Chaser. What's up?" AJ asked, I could tell he was very sleepy from the sedatives. But I watched none the less as Nastasia moved away.

"Why daddy here?"

"Daddy had a boo-boo, but Daddy got it fixed." AJ said, giving Chase a grin. Chase laughed at his father, I tried my best not to laugh back at them. I suddenly wished we were a real family.

"Daddy come home dow?"

"I don't know..." AJ hesitated as he looked to Nastasia for guidence. She went over and sat on AJ's right side, he rested his bad arm in her lap as she looked at both of them. Jealousy again surged.

"Daddy can come home in about two hours. The doctors want to make sure your Daddy is all boo-boo free. Then your Daddy is going to my house for a little bit." Nastasia answered, giving AJ a sheepish smile. Like a secret joke they were both sharing.

"Why daddy do there to Aunt Staz's housd?" Chase asked, "Why not mommy and me's housd?"

"Ahhhh....Cause your mommy is going to spend the night at my house too. And so is Howie..." Nastasia hesitated as she glanced back at me...

"Mommy and me spend dight?" Chase asked excitedly as he stared back at me questiongly. I found my heart beating faster as everyone fixed their attention on me.

"Chase...I...we..." I couldn't manage to spit the words out. It angered me so much as AJ stared at me and gave me a smile.

"I want your mommy to go to Stazzie's house too...." AJ laughed, "Will you Lauren?"

"O-Okay..." I laughed, what else could I say? I mean, we weren't a family yet...but it was a start...Right?