- Text Size +
Chapter 40:

I slept very well that night. Chase was lying next to his father in Chase's appointed room and I took the room AJ usually stayed in. And I could smell the scent of his fragerance, which warmed my heart all night long. But before I go on and on about those things it was already noon. No one had decided to get up but Chase and I. AJ was sleeping soundly because of his pills. Chase was currently watching some more Pokemon with his Pooh Bear. I was sipping some coffee when I heard footsteps stomp down the stairs. I knew it was Nastasia.

" Mornin' Laurie, " Nastasia greeted with a yawn as she stretched and appeared in the living-room.

" Morning sleeping beauty. Have FUN last night? " I asked sarcastically with a grin. Nastasia shot me a glare.

" Not in front of Chase, Laur, " she said, rolling her eyes as she took a seat next to me on the couch.

"He doesn't know what I'm talking about. But I would like to know what brought on those feelings last night...I thought you were waiting..." I smirked, although I silently felt jealous of Nastasia. Even after a rough night of play she still looked fantastic. Her blonde hair twirled into a messy bun as a tank top clung to her chest and a pair of Howie's boxers covering her tan thighs. I did envy her.

" Why so curious? " she laughed. " It's for me to know and you to find out. Anyways, you seem to be in a really good mood. Uh, you feelin' alright? " she joked.

"I'm feeling better than ever." I retorted.
"That's good, you were acting a little strange last night." Nastasia retorted to me. Suddenly I felt a wave of memories hit me, I felt horrid. I mean AJ and I were okay now, but Nastasia and I were in another zone. I felt my heart ache as I thought of the words I had thought about that night.

" Earth to Laurie, you ok? " I heard Nastasia ask as she waved a hand in front of my face.

"Jezz...I'm kinda thinking about some things...." I moaned, we had been kind of on edge with each other, which made me uneasy. I didn't want to fight with her, I loved her so.

"What were you thinking about anyway?" She asked me as she stood up and slinked her way to the kitchen, I followed.

" Nothing important, " I lied, with a smirk.

" Ha ha. Cut the crap, Laurie. What were you thinking about and how come you were acting so...wierd last night? "

"I wasn't acting weird...." I hesitated, why was I afraid of her anyway?

"Damn, you're just like AJ sometimes. I hate it when you lie to me like that." Nastasia replied as she opened her giant fridge door and pulled out some eggs, milk, and other things to make a large breakfast.

I sighed. " You know me too well, " I laughed, but stopped when Nastasia only looked at me seriously. I sighed again. " It's just - " How could I even word it?

" It's just what? " Nastasia asked.

"I...I was thinking some nasty things about you last night. I don't know how to put it in exact words..." I hesitated as Chase appeared in the doorway and asked for some eggs, Nastasia complied and started to crack the eggs in the buttered pan as Chase left.

"Nasty thoughts?" She questioned me, her back faced to me.

" Just forget it, " I started.

" No Lauren. You started, now finish... "

"But...." I cautioned as Nastasia whizzed around with the spatula gripped tightly in her hand. I knew she was fustrated, I was acting like her mother when her father was in a drunken rage, which she hated also.

"Come on! God, have a backbone and please tell me. If you're thinking bad thoughts about me you better let me know...That hurts me ya know, I thought we were closer?"

" Geez Staz, I'm sorry ok? " I hated this so much, being in a damn argument with her. There was no reason for it at all. No reason. " It's just...seeing you with A.J, I just... "

"Seeing me with JJ? Why the hell would that make you on edge?" She questioned, her ocean eyes showing her confusion. God, she was blonde.

I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. That's all that ever seemed to happen whenever A.J was brought up. " Because I'm jealous, ok?! Because I'm jealous of how great of a relationship you have with him! Damnit, Staz... "

"Jealous?! Of me? Why?" She asked, calming herself down. She knew I was starting to cry. And she never liked to see her close friends upset. She placed the eggs on a plate and stood there for a moment, staring at me.

" You wouldn't even understand, so just forget it Staz, " I said turning around and walking away. I just wanted to end the conversation. I truely believed she wouldn't understand. Why would she?

I heard the clatter of a plate as I walked out of the house. I then realized that I just had a nightshirt on, but I didn't care, then I felt a tight grip on the top of my shoulder, pulling me hard.

"Why wouldn't I understand?" Nastasia questioned me again.

" Why would you? " I retorted. Why couldn't we just drop the subject?

"Because I think that's the one thing I might be good at. I try to understand you, and all you do is sit there and give me hell. Try as I might...God..." Nastasia answered.

" All I ever wanted was to have A.J back in my life, to once again recieve the care he used to give me. And to see him with you, how do you think it makes me feel? To see you have such a great relationship with him! " I could feel the tears start to slide down my cheeks but I forcefully brushed them away.

Nastasia stared back at me, speechless. " H-how come you never told me this? If you had such a problem, why didn't you ever tell me? " she asked in a hushed voice.

" What did you expect me to say? ' I don't want you to have a friendship with my ex because it's making me jealous '? Geez, just forget it... " I said hatefully, shaking my head. I walked past her back into the house.

" Mommy! Ponta just kick Charzard in butt 'gain! " Chase said as I entered through the door and made my way upstairs.

Just as I reached the top of the stairs, Howie came staggering out of his bedroom in a pair of boxers and a loose fit t-shirt. I walked right past him. " Hey Lauren, how -...ok... "

*****

" Watcha watchin', Chase? " Howie asked as he took a seat next to Chase on the couch.

" Poke-mon, Owdie! Pi-chu just kick Ponta's butt! " Chase squealed as he stood up on the couch and threw his Pooh Bear in the air.

" Go Pikachu! " Howie sarcastically cheered as he laughed at Chase's enthusiasm. " Where ya at Stazzie? "

" Cooking your breakfast, lazy butt! " Nastasia jokingly called from the kitchen.

" Oh, so now I'm lazy huh? " Howie questioned as he got up and made his way to the kitchen. He went up behind Nastasia and pulled her into his arms, placing a tender kiss on her rose colored lips.

" Yep, that's exactly what you are, " Nastasia laughed as she placed her arms around his neck and stared into his deep brown eyes.

" You care to fill me in on why you think that? " Howie asked with a wry grin.

" Um...nope, " Nastasia said, kissing him teasingly and then turning away from him, to tease him even more.

*****

After changing into the pair of jeans I had been wearing the day before, I decided to head back downstairs. I was feeling horrible as it was, now I felt even worse.

" Morning, " A.J said as he made his way from Chase's room. I could tell he was still half asleep.

" Um, it's 12:30, " I laughed as A.J looked down at his watch. The look on his face made me laugh. He always had a way to make me laugh.

" Right. Afternoon then, " he replied, offering me a genuine smile. The same exact smile that had made me fall in love with him in the first place. I felt myself falling in love all over again.