- Text Size +
Chapter 5:

" Mommy! No leave! " Chase cried demandingly as I tried to place him down on his bed.

" Sweetie, Mommy's only going to be gone for a couple of hours, " I soothed as I wiped the salty tears away from my son's rosey cheeks, but they continued to fall.

Chase held onto me. " No! Mommy, no leave! "

" Awww sweetie, " I said and stood up, hugging him tightly in my arms. I managed to get a quick glance at my watch.

It was 7:30. Howie and Brian would be at my house any minute to pick Nastasia and I up. Originally, I had planned on taking Chase over to my mother's place, but she said it would be no trouble to watch him at my place for the whole night and wouldn't have a problem sleeping in the guest bedroom.

" C'mon sweetie, it's time for bed, " I said as I once again attempted to put him down, but did not succeed. He only cried harder. I sighed and smoothed out my son's matted hair. His dark brown eyes continously glistened with fresh tears as they stared up at me, pleading with me not to go.

I began to make my way downstairs, Chase still clinging to me as if for dear life. " Not here yet? " I asked Nastasia, directing it more as a statement, rather than a question.

" Nope, " Nastasia answered, standing in front of the mirror that stood beside the tv. She was fiddling around with her hair, like it wasn't already perfect.

I quickly took in her slim figure as I shifted Chase to my other arm. She had on a beautiful, short black dress which had a sort of silver flower pattern to finish it. She wore black platform shoes to match and her honey blond hair was up near the top of her head in a bun form with little ringlets hanging down the sides. She looked perfect. Compared to me I thought...

I, myself, had on a short dark blue skirt that had a see through shiny red cover to lay over it, giving it a great effect. My top consisted of a blue tube top with a black half-sleeve over-jacket. My hair was merely pulled back into a neat pony-tail. I could get away with just that and my hair would still look great.

" Hey Chaz! " Nastasia cooed, but gave him a sad smile when she saw the tears pouring from his eyes. " Awww Chazzie, what's wrong? " She brushed her hand against Chase's cheek to wipe away the tears but he turned away from her and layed his head on my shoulder.

" Where's Mom at? " I asked, looking around the living-room, but not seeing her. Chase began to feel like a dead-weight in my arms.

" I'm in the kitchen, " I heard my Mother call out. She appeared in the kitchen doorway a minute later, dish-towel in hand. Just as the doorbell rang.

" I'll get it, " Nastasia was quick to say and hurried to the door.

" Here, take Chase for me, " I said and began to hand my still crying son over to my mother.

" NO! MOMMY NO LEAVE! " Chase began to yell and stretched his arms out to me.

" It's ok, sweetie. Mommy will be back in a little bit, " my Mother, Sherrie, soothed as she tried to calm her grandson down.

" Hey Howie, " I heard Nastasia say and looked over my shoulder to see Howie pull her into his arms and give her a sweet kiss.

" Te ves bonita esta noche, " I heard Howie say, and watched as he placed a tender kiss on Nastasia's forehead. Nastasia smiled warmly and kissed him back, whispering something in his ear that was un-audible to me.

" I gotta go now, " I said quietly and kissed Chase's forehead. " Be good for Grandma. Bye Mom. " I offered them both a smile, which only my Mother saw, and walked over to where Howie and Nastasia were standing engaging in a kiss. Howie looked up as I walked over.

" Hey Lauren, " he greeted and embraced me in a hug, my reply being a quiet hello.

" Shall we go? " Nastasia asked as she interlaced her fingers with Howie's.

" Uh-huh, " Howie said. He smiled at me and turned around, walking out the door with Nastasia.

" Bye Mom, " I called out and shut the door behind me. I could hear Chase's cries through the closed door.