- Text Size +
Chapter 56:

I woke up the next morning to find that Nastasia must have left sometime during the night. I was a bit worried about her. She didn't seem like herself. Maybe she was tired. I know I would be, doing all the dancing she has to do, but I was still worried. I figured I would ask her later today when I saw her.

I climbed out of bed and staggered into my bathroom, looking wearily into the mirror as I turned on the light. " Don't I just look lovely, " I said sarcastically as I studied the tangled mess that layed on my head, which I called hair.

" Mommy! Mommy! " I heard Chase yell as he burst through the door of my hotel room. I stepped out of the bathroom just as Chase reached me and I scooped him up into my arms, smothering him with kisses.

" Hey sweetie, how's my little boy? " I cooed as I hugged him.

" Me dood! " Chase squealed. " Me and Grammy go get beckfist dow! You doo! "

I looked to see Denise standing in the doorway. " Morning Denise, " I greeted and placed Chase back on the ground.

" Morning Laurie. Sleep well, I hope? " Denise asked as Chase ran back into her arms.

" Very well, " I replied and quickled brushed out my tangled hair.

" We go dow Mommy and wake up Auntie Stazzie! "

" Coming Chase, " I laughed as Chase squirmed in his grandma's arms until she put him down. I doubted Nastasia would be awake. It was only 9:00 am, but I figured it would be fun getting to wake her up.

" And den wake up Daddy doo! "

" Oh, I'm not sure if that's a good idea Chase, " Denise laughed as Chase pulled both of us out the door. " If your Daddy isn't already awake, you need to let him wake up on his own. "

" No! Daddy wake up dow! " Chase said stubbornly.

" If you say so... " Denise replied with a grin.

We walked down the hall a bit and stopped in front of room 212, Howie and Nastasia's room. I got an idea and motioned for Denise and Chase to be quiet. I knocked on the door and cleared my throat and waited for a reply.

After knocking a few more times, I heard a groggy yell of " what?! " come from inside.

" Room service! " I said in a strongly accented voice and knocked again.

" I didn't order any room service! " came Nastasia's irritated reply.

" * Knock knock * Room service! "

" Did you hear me? I said I didn't order any room service! "

" * Knock knock * Room service - I come to change pillows! "

" I don't need my pillows changed! "

" * Knock knock * Room service - I come to change sheets! "

" I don't need my sheets to be changed! Go away! "

" * Knock knock * Room service! " I was having a hard time surpressing my laughs and could tell Denise was snickering silently - Chase looked clueless.

I heard Nastasia get out of bed and walk over to the door. " I said I didn't order no damn room ser...vice...that was you Laurie? " she said as she opened the door.

" Mornin' Sunshine! " I laughed but stopped when she just glared. I studied her features - there was a pale shade to the skin tone of her face. She looked weaker than normal. " You feelin' ok, Stazzie? "

" Yeah, I'm feeling fine, " Nastasia replied. She was lying, even Denise could tell.

" Sweetie, are you sure? You don't look so good, " Denise said, concern coating her voice.

" Yes Mom, I'm fine, " Nastasia replied as she rolled her now dull green eyes. " I'm just tired, that's all. "

" Aunt Stazzie no feel dood? " Chase whimpered. " Aunt Stazzie eat beckfist and den Aunt Stazzie feel dood! "

" I'll come down in a little bit Chazzie. "

" Howie still sleeping? I thought he would have woken up after my little wake up call I just pulled, " I said as I tried to peer into the dark room.

" Nah, the lazy butt is still sleeping. He sleeps like a bear. It takes a lot to wake him up. "

" Remind you of anyone? " I laughed.

" JJ, " Nastasia laughed. " I'll be down later. I'm going back to bed. "

" Alright. We'll see you later, " I said and took hold of Chase's hand. " C'mon, let's go wake up your father. "

*****

Nastasia had been acting extremely quiet through out the day. Everyone could tell she wasn't feeling good, even though she tried to deny it. Howie was becoming worried about her.

I stepped out of the elevator on the second floor and began walking down the hall. Everyone was supposed to be leaving for rehearsal and Howie had asked me if I would go get Nastasia, who was still in their room.

I reached their door and walked in, knowing I didn't need to knock. I didn't see her in the room, but noticed the light was on in the bathroom. I walked over and knocked on the door. The only responce I got was a sudden sob from inside, which made me worried. Walking into the bathroom, I found Nastasia standing frozen in the middle of the floor, her back to me. " Stazzie? " I could tell she was shaking as she turned around.

Her bottom lip quivered as she gazed at me. She was holding something white in her hands.

" Stazzie, what's wrong? "

She couldn't answer me.

I looked to the counter and saw a small white box. It couldn't be what I thought it was, could it? I picked it up and my own hands began to shake as my suspision was confirmed - it was a pregnancy test.
" Stazzie? "

" Laurie...I-I'm pregnant... "