- Text Size +
Chapter 59:

That evening passed sooner than I ever thought it would. Chase and I stayed in the audience with Denise that night. Everyone begged Denise for her signiture, I laughed, she was so sweet.

"Mommy, Daddy sind do dou todight?" Chase asked me as the lights dimmed a bit. Denise laughed as Chase climbed into my lap and hugged me tight.

"I hope so baby..." I whispered.

"Aunt Stazzie deel better dow?" Chase asked, still worried about his aunt. Not once had she leaned over to kiss him or pay any attention to him today. I knew he thought maybe she was mad at him. But she couldn't be mad at him, he was too sweet.

"She'll be better soon baby. She just has a cold." I answered, fibbing to my son. I saw Denise's disapproval. I guess she knew something else was wrong with Nastasia. Somewhere deep inside me I wished she'd figure it out.

Howie danced kind of off pace that night. When he began songs like "Back To Your Heart" and "All I Have To Give" I saw the pain in his eyes, the choking of the words. I silently felt bad for him too. I couldn't say anything at the moment. He was hurting badly though.

Nastasia on the other hand danced perfectly. Or so it seemed to me. She didn't once make a mistake, which is what I think I most admired besides her looks. Whenever something was troubling her she was able to put it in her dancing to make her dancing even greater. But somewhere, under those fake smiles, she was seriously hurting.

**********

"Stazzie, you need to loosen up more!" I heard AJ laugh as he rubbed Nastasia's neck. I laughed at the pair, I wasn't really jealous of their relationship anymore. It seemed un-important to what she was facing now.

"I know...God..." Nastasia murmured as AJ continued to rub her neck slowly. We were in my hotel room. Nastasia was currenlty avoiding Howie. I didn't know where he was at the moment, but I knew he and AJ would be hitting me up for information sooner or later... Gosh, I feared that moment.

"Aunt Stazzie luv de?" Chase asked as AJ continued rubbing her shoulders. Nastasia looked down at Chase and smiled softly.

"Chazz-" Nastasia was about to say, but AJ grabbed ahold of her, clamping her mouth shut.

"SHE LOVES ME CHASER! NOT YOU!" AJ cackled as he pulled Nastasia down and started to tickle her. Chase laughed as Nastasia shrieked out, then Chase jumped on her stomach.

I saw Nastasia double over in pain as she slid off the bed. My heart raced as she rushed into the bathroom, I saw her slam the door. I jumped out of one of the chairs and bolted to the bathroom, but the door was locked.

"STAZ! STAZZIE! OPEN THE DOOR!" I screamed as I pounded on the door. AJ looked at me quizzically as Chase climbed into his arms. I saw Chase start to cry as he heard the distress in my voice. I bawled as I heard violent gagging reflexes. Oh God, why couldn't she open the door!

"Is she okay?" AJ asked urgently as it became quiet in the bathroom. Panic siezed my heart as Chase continued to cry. I turned back to AJ about to answer, then the door opened.

"STAZZIE! Are you alright?!" I asked as she had a washcloth resting on her sweating forehead. She looked so worn and her dull green eyes were full of pain.

AJ placed Chase down and wrapped his arms around Nastasia. I felt frozen as she stared at me and AJ, she looked like she might cry again.

"Stazzie Sweetie, you all right? I mean, you look like shit." AJ whispered as he kissed the top of her frazzled hair.

"I'm fine, I just have the flu." She lied as she looked away from him. I saw AJ frown as she broke their hug. He knew there was something else wrong, but he couldn't put his finger on it. At least I knew what it was.

"Did I hurtd Aunt Stazzie?" Chase asked as he began to cry again. Nastasia walked over to Chase and knealed down as best as she could. She looked in terrible pain, but managed to smile at Chase.

"Chazzie, you didn't hurt me. Aunt Stazzie just has a boo boo. It'll be all better real soon." Nastasia cooed as Chase pratically jumped into her open arms. She hugged him tightly as he kissed her softly.

"I think Aunt Stazzie needs some sleep..." AJ yawned as he stood and stretched, I could see the funny look in his eyes, not really sure on what to do about Nastasia.

"Me too." I agreed, hoping AJ would leave soon.

"Come on Chazzie, time for bed." AJ yawned, Chase looked at his father, his brown eyes sparking. I could tell this would be an ugly fight.

"NO! Me stay wid me Aunt Stazzie!" Chase whined.

"Chase, Stazzie is sleeping in a bed that's too small for three people tonight. Plus Howie won't want you there with him and her anyway. He likes to keep Nastasia all to himself."

I saw Nastasia wince.

"ME STAY WID AUNT STAZZIE!" Chase wailed.

"Chase Alexander!" AJ moaned.

"I'll take him...he'll be...fine..." Nastasia answered softly. Somehow I knew she wouldn't be sleeping with Howie tonight.

"You sure?"

"Yes..." Nastasia lied.

"All right..." AJ answered as he leaned and kissed Chase goodnight. "Night Stazzie."

"Night JJ..." She answered softly, her eyes dulling even more. Gosh I wish they would sparkle like they used to before.

"Night Lauren." AJ answered with a sincere smile as he left. I watched as Chase and Nastasia crawled into my bed. I knew I'd have company tonight, and for awhile...Unless I broke my promise...