- Text Size +
Chapter 60:

A day had past and Nastasia was still under the wind and not talking to Howie. It was really effecting him too - we could all see it. Each time he would try to talk to her, she would just push him away and he would become more worried.

We were now in North Carolina and the guys were given a day off. A.J was happy that he would be able to spend the day with his son and his Mom and had invited me to come along with them. I happily agreed. Life was going great now that I was getting along with A.J again.

I hadn't seen much of Nastasia that day, she had been pretty much keeping to herself the whole day. No matter what Howie did, he couldn't seem to get through to Nastasia and it broke his heart. He blamed himself, thinking he had done something extremely wrong, to get Nastasia to hate him. From what I could tell that Nastasia thought, he had...

Howie staggered up to A.J's hotel room and knocked on the door. Chase and I were in his room when he arrived. " Yo! Who is it? " A.J asked.

" It's me, can I come in? " Howie replied.

A.J looked at me, both of us noticing the change in Howie's voice - the depressed sound. It wasn't like him, but we both knew why he sounded like that - Nastasia.

" Yeah, door's unlocked. "

Howie walked in. I gasped, he looked horrible. He must be taking it harder than I had thought. He loved Nastasia and cared about her so much, and this was hurting him majorly.

" You ok D? " A.J asked with concern.

Howie shook his head and slumped down in one of the chairs. All of a sudden I wanted to get out of there, or else all heads would be turned on me for answers and I didn't want to be put on the spot.

" I don't know what I did wrong J, " Howie sobbed. " I don't understand what I did. She won't even talk to me. "

" I don't know. I don't think you did anything wrong. "

" Then why won't she talk to me? "

" I don't know... "

" She's been avoiding me ever since yesterday. God, I just want to know what I did wrong so I can make it up to her. " Howie layed his head in his hands and continued to sob.

I hated seeing him like this, I hated seeing any of my friends like this. I wanted to just burst out what I knew to break the burden that had been placed on Howie, but I had just fixed my friendship with Nastasia and I didn't want to ruin it again, so I kept my mouth shut.

" Lauren, you're her best friend. She'd tell you anything. What is going on with her? Why does she hate me?! "

" She doesn't hate you Howie..." I said, hesitation sounding in my voice. I needed to get out of there before I said something wrong.

" Then why won't she talk to me? "

" I don't know... " I lied, feeling truely horrible about doing it, knowing it was only hurting him more.

" Lauren, promise me you'll find out. This is killing me, " Howie pleaded with sad eyes as he stood and walked to the door.

" Ok, I promise... " I muttered looking at the ground, the sadness moving to my eyes.

" You know something, don't you? " A.J pressed as soon as Howie had walked out the door.

I looked up at him surprised. " What? "

" Lauren, I can see it in your eyes. You know something... "

*****

Howie wandered down the halls, racking his brain of any possible explanations of what could be going on with Nastasia, only coming up empty handed.

He just reached his room when he saw her coming down the end of the hall. " Stazzie! We need to talk! " he called out to her, but was dismayed when she turned around and began walking in the other direction. " Damnit Stazzie! Wait up! " He began chasing after her and when he caught up to her, he spun her around.

" Let go of me Howie! " Nastasia yelled as she struggled to get from his gentle grasp.

" Why are you doing this to me Stazzie? What did I do? "

Tears began to form in Nastasia's eyes. " Get away from me! Let go! " she screamed as she struggled.

" But Stazzie - "

Nastasia broke from his grip, pushing him backwards and ran down the hall.

Howie collapsed to the ground in complete despair and leaned against the wall as he sobbed, wondering if she would ever come back...