- Text Size +
Chapter 72:

I followed behind A.J as we stood up and walked the few feet to the back room of the bus. I was worried about what Nastasia had told Howie. He had already been through so much stress, I was beginning to think the same or more then Nastasia.

" Yo D, what up? " A.J asked as we entered into the room.

" Everything has hit the ceiling man, " Howie sighed as he collapsed onto the chair.

" Didn't go well with Stazzie? " A.J asked as he took a seat on the couch. I followed his actions and sat next to him.

Howie looked hurt and shook his head. " I...I don't know. I don't know anymore. I've been trying so hard to be there for her, and she won't accept the fact that I do care. I try over and over to tell her how much I care, but she keeps pushing me away. "

" What did she say to you just a minute ago? " I spoke up, curious to know what went on. Hoping she hadn't told him what I feared she would...

" I asked why she couldn't accept the fact that I'm here for her and then she went on about how her father used to...geez, I don't even want to say it. She never told me before, I never knew the pain that was bestowed upon her, " Howie answered quietly as he stared at the ground.
I looked at A.J as he looked back at me. " She said she couldn't accept me being there for her, because she was never shown it, by her father. She said how can she trust another man when she can't even trust the one that gave her life? How do you think that makes me feel to think I can't even get my own girlfriend to trust me because of the way her asshole of a father treated her when she was young. "

" D, just give her time. Like I said earlier, she's going through a hard time, you need to just keep proving to her that you are truely there for her and eventually she'll open her eyes and see that you will always be there for her, " A.J said, the words flowing from his lips like he had practiced them for hours. I had never known him to be the one to be an expert on giving advice, especially in a time like this...

" I've tried everything. Damnit J, I love Stazzie with all my heart and soul! She means the world to me and I don't want to lose her. Right now, I feel like she's floating farther and farther away from me and if I don't act soon, I'll lose her forever, " Howie whimpered as tears sprung to his eyes.

I felt my heart go out to him in remoarse. I had never seen him act like this before. I just sat there, not knowing what to say to him.

" D, man, you're not gonna lose her, " A.J said. " That's not gonna happen. "

" Then what can I do to get her to trust me again? Like I thought she used to? "

" Just be there for her, that's what she wants and needs, " A.J replied.

Howie nodded slightly and I guess that's all that was going to be said because A.J stood up and patted Howie on the shoulder. I gave Howie a sad smile and embraced him in a loving hug, knowing he needed it. " She still loves you too Howie, " I whispered and walked out of the room with A.J.

We reached the middle part of the bus where Brian and Nick were now engaged in an arm wrestle match. I laughed at the redness in both their faces.

*****

A.J watched as Lauren laughed at the two young men in front of them. She was so beautiful, everything about her, he loved. How could he have ever been so stupid as to let her go? He couldn't let that happen again. He couldn't make the same mistake.

*****

I was just about to sit down next to Brian when A.J grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him. I looked at him with surprise written all over my face and was about to say something to him when he pulled me in closer and our lips met in a kiss, one we hadn't shared with each other in such a long time.