- Text Size +
Chapter 9:

I walked along the beach with Chase holding my hand tightly. We went out for a early morning walk. He begged me to come and play in the sand today. How could I resist his perfect charm, so much like his father...

"Chase...not too close to the water." I warned as I walked beside the edge of the tossing waves. Chase would run beside the waves till they got too high, then squealed as they touched his little ankles, running behind me.

"Dust water mommy." Chase said with a stubborn streak running through him. I laughed and nodded as I continued to walk along beside him.

As we walked along the sand I wasn't paying much attention to anyone but Chase. And foolishly I bumped right into someone. The girl fell to the hot sand with the frisbee falling right along with her.

"Ohmigosh! I'm so sorry!" I apologized with a blush creeping up to my cheeks. I saw Chase glance at the lady with question creeping on his face.

"Look...it's all right...just watch it next time." The woman stated with a sigh as she stood up, brushing the sand off her. I knew I reconized that voice, but the long blonde hair covered her face. I felt my heart begin to beat faster as another person I reconized ran over.

"Staz! Are you all right...Ohmigosh!" I knew that voice. I gasped loudly, it was Howie! He grabbed Nastasia around the waist and held her tightly. Nastasia didn't even look at me, fear gripped me tightly.

"AUNTIE STAZ!!!!" Chase yelled out suddenly. I gasped loudly as Nastasia flipped her hair back and stared at Chase bewildered, then she gazed at me. Question was covering Howie's face as Nastasia bent over and picked Chase up. He placed kisses all over Nastasia's cheeks, I felt like I might faint.

"Laurie...what are you doing with Chase today? I thought you didn't babysit him today?" Nastasia asked as her eyesbrows raised in such a way to say she was covering for me again.

"Well...You know me, I just offered to take him out for icecream...And I'm seriously sorry I hit you..." I stated back as Howie still questioned both of us.

"It's all right...I'll be by later okay? And we'll talk about it. Say around eight? I'll stay the night."

"Auntie Staz stay dight? Cooooool!" Chase continued to babble a bit. I found myself sinking deeper into the sand, I felt my heart pound even more.

"We better go Chase. Icecream time." I said shakily as I picked him out of Nastasia's arms.

"Otay mommy. Icedream. Bu-bye Aunt Staz." Chase called as I hurried away from them, burning tracks. I felt so lightheaded, there was no way out of this one. And I felt like the world was crashing down.
**********************************************************
"Staz..." Howie questioned as he watched Lauren disappear down the boardwalk. She seemed off in her own world as Howie shook her a bit.

"What?"

"She doesn't babysit that kid does she?" He questioned, his dark eyes burning deeply into her ocean colored ones. She felt a sob catch in her throat, she couldn't lie to him.

"No..."

"Then who is he? Why did he call her mommy? And why did he call you Aunt Staz?" Howie questioned again as Nastasia walked back to the towels, guys still staring at Nastasia's every move.

"Howie...it's not that easy to explain."

"Well you better try baby. Cause you can't back out now."

"I know..."