- Text Size +
A/N: Hey guys, in case you’re reading this, I just wanted to say thanks for taking interest. This story was inspired by the original classic “Dirty Dancing” movie. So if you saw it, then you know what I’m talking about.

“One Last Dance”


**~Taking A First Step~**

The wheels squeal to a stop, sending up an array of dust into the night heaven. Smirking, he gazes at his friend sitting on the passenger seat with a grim expression on his face.

“Oh buck up Nick! I think the black dye looks good on your hair. Just remember you have to have keep that hair color on this whole month. Don’t go blonde me or you’ll be paying me a nice sum of money.” A.J. cackles, opening the driver’s side of his black SUV. He smirks, hearing his other friend Howie chuckle softly in the backseat gathering his belongings and stepping out of the vehicle.

A.J. peers his head in the open driver’s side door, staring at his now black haired friend Nick. “Look, you lost the bet, nobody told you to bet against me. You know I have my ways of winning.”

Nick sarcastically laughs and grabs his forest green back pack before stepping out of his side of the vehicle. He sighs and closes the door behind him, stepping onto the dusty road where the dance hall was located. “Ok tell me why we came here to Boston again?”

“Dude, you forgot Kevin owns this place, plus Brian wanted us to check out this place.” Howie sniffs, coughing as the dust settles.

Brian smirks, leaning on the threshold of the pounding music hall behind him. “Bout time. I was beginning to think you guys would never make it.”

“Well hey Rok!” A.J. bounces over to his sandy haired, blue eyed country friend.

Brian nods and grinning, kept his gaze on Nick. “Whoa, what’s the hair?”

Nick rolls his eyes as A.J.’s taunting laughter evades the quiet night. “Long story, which I don’t intend on getting into.”

“You lost the bet, didn’t ya?” Brian smirks, giving his greetings to his Latin friend Howie who was standing next to Nick.

“Shut up.” Nick mumbles, passing his fingers through his spiked raven hair.

“You know Nick, you don’t look bad in black. It gives your eyes more attention. I think the ladies will like that.” Brian grins softly, pointing back to the dance hall.
“That’s what I said. But he ain’t buying it.” Howie smirks, following Brian towards the pounding dance hall, where brash rock music evoked the dance hall to erupt its dancers into happy glees.

Nick winces at the loud intensity of the music, entering the dance hall behind the others. A.J. grins and nods his head, anticipating for a chance to find a woman to be his dance partner on the floor. The dance hall was wide in length and brought along a cozy feeling. A sweet scent of wine and delicacies linger in the atmosphere. A large mahogany counter curved around the front of the hall where bar stools aligned it, each filled with an occupant.

Brian turned to Nick’s direction, seemingly mouthing something at him. Nick shrugs his shoulders in confusion, “HUH WHAT?”

A.J. grabs Nick by the shoulders and yells in his ear, “HE SAID IF YOU WERE GONNA STAY AROUND AND TALK WITH KEVIN!”

Nick growls and yanks away from his friend, rubbing his ear painfully and nodding his head at Brian’s direction. Howie sighs and watches the dancers twirl and jump around when suddenly the music genre changed to an alluring salsa music where a group of professional dancers enter the stage center and take their positions. A.J. grins and eyes the beautifully shaped women all dressed in a red cotton halter top dress which flowed loosely as they twirled gracefully on the stage floor.

Brian rocks his head to the music as the salsa music picks up its pace, the performers giving away to the sweet beats. He leans over to Howie and whispers, “Hey, you know there’s a sign up sheet if you’re interested in dancing like that.”

Howie smiles and shakes his head, “Ahh thanks, but no thanks B. Besides I already know how to dance salsa. Forgot it’s a natural thing for me being part Latin?”

“Right, right, well hey if you think maybe A.J. or Nick might wanna try, it be nice. I mean its something different you know and since you guys are visiting here, it would only make sense to enjoy yourselves.” Brian whispers: eyeing Nick and A.J. who seem to be involve in their own personal joke, laughing at something.

“Oh ok. Where’s the sign up sheet?” Howie asks, his eyes scanning the crowded hall, its dim yellow florescent lights glimmering down on them.

Brian points to the front of the stage where the performers twirl and gracefully dance to the beat in sway. Howie nods and notices that A.J. was already speeding through the crowd towards the front of the stage. “Uhhh, Nick, where is he going?”

Nick shrugs his shoulders, “I think he heard what you guys were saying about joining a dance team.”

Brian breaks into a laugh, imagining what was A.J.’s real purpose for wanting to sign the sheet. Nick watches in awe as the performers twirl. One performer in particular caught his interest: her voluptuous petite body twirls gracefully into her partner’s arms. Nick nods his head to the beat as he watches the woman dance, throwing her arms around her partner’s shoulders, leaping on him as he lifts her in the air and poses. She lies stretched out in a pose as the music ends. Nick smiles and jumps, startled at the sudden applause from the audience around him. He quickly joins in the clapping as the performers bow and exits the stage, heading into the back stage and disappearing from the public. A soft gentle slow dance music blasts out of the speakers, calming the crowd down.

“Wow, that was some crazy stuff huh?” Howie whispers as Brian nods his head.

“Yeah, wonder how long it took for them to rehearse that?” Nick asks as A.J. comes up to join them, a huge grin scrolled on his handsome tan face.

“What are you so happy about?” Brian chuckles, enjoying the gleam in A.J’s eyes.

“So Nick, you enjoyed that dancing?” A.J. smirks, his grin widens.

Howie smirks as Kevin comes from back stage and jumps off the stage, gently making his way through the crowds to join them.

Nick rolls his eyes, “Yeah, they were good. Why?”

“Oh nothing, just asking.” A.J. responds nonchalantly.

“Oh ok. Hey Kev!” Nick raises his hand, greeting his friend.

“Hey guys! Glad you all made it! So what do you think of the place?” Kevin beams proudly, gesturing to the dance hall in general. His emerald eyes shine brightly as he greets the four men.

“Sweet man!” A.J. grins, running his tan hands through his newly cut black hair before placing his trucker’s hat back on.

“Thanks. Uhhh Nick? What’s with the hair?” Kevin eyes the younger man.

Nick sighs, rolling his eyes, “Long story.”

“Ah man, tell me didn’t make a bet with A.J. Please tell me you didn’t?” Kevin grins, watching a proud A.J. take a bow.

“Uh kinda. It’s not a big deal alright? I mean I just had to dye my hair. I got off easy.” Nick mumbles, hearing the soft chuckling of his friends.

“Oh for a moment, I thought you wanted to be like me.” Kevin smiles gently, patting his friend’s shoulder.

At that comment, all five of them burst into laughter as the ballad on the speakers continue to hum in the air. “So yeah, guys did you like the entertainment? Those are highly paid dancers, their doing a whole mini tour around the state and I managed to book them on the slot. Seems I lucky too cause they have one last tour in another dance club a few miles down from here.”

“Well nice Kev, the girls looks hot dancing, think they’re looking for a partner who can show them moves they don’t know yet?” A.J. whispers, raising his eyebrows cockily.

Kevin laughs and shakes his head, “Well actually you might just get that chance, if you sign your name on the sheet. The group is looking for people that are interested and they don’t charge or anything. It’s for free. They just want people who are eager to dance.”

“Sounds like a nice deal.” Howie whispers.

“Hmmm… what about people that don’t know they’re signed on, will the group take the person in?” A.J. whispers, hiding his smile.

“Why would anyone do that?” Brian whispers confused.

Nick eyes A.J. and glances at Brian, knowing something was up. He was about to state he had a funny feeling that A.J. did something to him but was interrupted by one of the female performers that was on the stage.

A.J. smiles widen, gazing at the Latin brunette who’s dark brown curls tumble right pass her shoulders and down her back. A.J. gazes over at his friend Nick who seemed taken by her.

“Hi, you’re Alex right?” The woman asks sweetly, extending her butter pecan hand out towards A.J.

“Uh yeah, yes I am and anything you wanna call me.” A.J. whispers out smoothly, taking her hand and kissing it.

The woman giggles gently, pulling her hand away. She gazes at Howie and narrows her eyes, “Then you must be Howie huh?”

Howie nods his head happily and waves at her, “Yeah, the man next to you is Nick.”

The woman’s light eyes look up at Nick as she gently whispers a “hello” to him.

Nick nods and clears his throat, “Hi and what’s your name? I’m curious cause you did an amazing job performing.”

“Genesis but my friends call me angel.” The woman states.

“Hmmm… wow like the beginning of my love life.” A.J. teases.

Genesis laughs, gazing at Nick. “Wait, Nick… I’ve seen that name before…Oh I know you signed up on the sheet for free dancing lessons.”

Nick inhales deeply, his jaw dropping open as his eyes burn in A.J.’s direction.

Kevin smirks and chuckles, “Well J, that’s an interesting way of planning out things for Nick without his permission.”

“Awww, you don’t wanna really dance?” Genesis whispers, her light brown eyes hinted at Nick.

Nick gulps, waving his hands in front of him, “Uh no, no. It’s not that. It’s just cause I didn’t think I was gonna do that.”

“Oh. What a pity. I was gonna be the one who could show you some moves but I guess its ok. Anyways guys I have…” Genesis was intercepted as another woman performer, this one with black wisps of curls tied up to her neck in an elegant bun races up to her.

“Angel! It’s Randel!” The dark haired woman squeals out.

“Randel?! What, what happened?” Genesis whispers out as the speakers blasted out a loud pop music, getting the crowd to burst with renewal and dance.

A.J. watches the two women along with Nick as Brian, Howie and Kevin were pulled in the crowd by some eager women wanting to dance. A.J. feels a small hand creep up his shoulders as a young fair headed woman with glimmering green eyes lure him to her, both being whisked away on the dance floor. Nick sighs, knowing his friends were lost in the crowd. He gazes at the two worried women, the dark haired woman dashing off, leading a worried Genesis away. Nick was about to walk into the crowd of dancers when he noticed that Genesis had dropped a golden bracelet. Picking it up, he tried to call out to her, but the music was too loud for him to be heard. Quick thinking, he chases after the women, poking and gently pushing his way through the large moving crowd, making his way over to the women. Nick sees the two women enter a hallway on the side of the club and he tries to catch up. The dimly lit hallway led him away from the chaotic dancing and into a quiet kitchen, where metal cabinets aligned the walls with glass plates, cups and utensils. The area was cleaned spotless; its harsh white lights gleam down on the kitchen. Nick gasps to see Genesis and her friend race over to a tall copper skinned man who was lying on the metal tiles in pain. Nick decided to stay put and watches the scenery quietly feet away, fearing of being rude or interrupting. Genesis kneels down and cradles her partner in her arms, murmuring something into his ear. The dark hair woman raises her head and spots Nick watching them. The woman gazes at him and finally speaks to him, “Can you call for help? Our friend just got shot. I don’t know what to do.”

Nick gulps and fumbles through his black cargo pants to find his cell and dials.

The woman gently smiles and shakes her head, “No, I already called the ambulance. I said if you can get the manager who works here. He can know what to do in this situation.”

Nick nods and bolts back down the hallway, entering the dance hall once again to hear a slow song blaring through the speakers. Nick scans his eyes and yells out for Kevin. Finally, he sees his dark haired friend peer out from the crowd and make his way over.

“What? What’s up?”

“It’s the performers. One of them got shot. The ambulance is coming but the two girls are nervous and don’t know what to do.”

Kevin lets an exasperated sigh, “Damn! Someone got shot?! This isn’t gonna look good for the reviewers when they check out my place. Is the person ok?” Kevin asks, winding his way through the rest of the dancers closely following behind Nick. Both men reach the performers in the kitchen, by now the entire clan of performers surrounded the cradled man in Genesis’s arms. “Ok, wait. Hold up. Let me see where he got shot.” He gently pushes through the small crowd and kneels down to see Randel wincing in pain.

“Oh damn. Randy, who did this to you?” Kevin whispers quietly, asking one of the performers to look through the first cabinet to pull out a first aid kit.

The dark haired man gazes at Kevin, murmuring in pain: “All I recalled was when I came off the stage, a haggard man entered the back area threatening me. I thought he was drunk and walked away. The rest of the group already went out to change and stuff. The next thing I know, I walk in here to exit through this room and the same man pulls out a gun and fires.” By now Randy was clutching his wound on his abdomen in pain as two paramedics race through the kitchen entrance, picking him up on the stretcher. Genesis stands up slowly, holding onto her partner’s hand gently. Tears streak down her cheek at this point as Randy sighed, gazing her guiltily.

“Gen, I’m so sorry this happened. I’ll be ok. I know you wanted to be win the competition coming up in two weeks…”

“Oh God! Don’t worry about that! I, I don’t care about that right now. I just want you to get better.” Genesis whispers as the paramedics begin to wheel Randel away. Genesis holds onto his hand until he was out of reach and she let go, watching him exit the kitchen threshold being wheeled away. She sighs painfully, tears streaming down her now quivering pale cheeks.

Kevin sighs, holding the first aid kit in his hand. “I can’t believe that happened to him. I don’t even know what to say that can make anything better. I have to find out who was responsible though. That man could be a danger to the rest of the people here.” And with that, Kevin bolts out the kitchen area and back down to the dance hall, disappearing. The rest of the performers exit the kitchen area as the same dark haired woman stands next to Genesis.

“Ummmm…Angel, I’ll wait for you in the van k?” The woman states, slowly exiting the room.

“Alright Nadia.” Genesis whispers, waving to her friend.

Nick and Genesis remained alone in the kitchen as she passes her palms over her wet cheeks.

“I’m…God… I don’t know what to say. You have a competition coming up?” Nick asks, trying to steer the conversation to a more calmer side.

Genesis nods her head sadly, “Well not anymore. My partner can’t be in it.”

“If you can get another partner will you be able to win the competition?” Nick whispers out, knowing what he was getting himself into.

“What does it matter? I can’t win. I can’t find a guy who wants to help me. All the other guys in the dance group are doing their own things. This competition was going to get me into dance academy where I can open up my own dance company to help those of disabilities and stuff. But it doesn’t matter now does it?” Genesis murmurs, walking towards the kitchen door.

“Wait!” Nick calls out to her.

She turns to look at him, her hand on the door handle, ready to open the door and leave.

“What if I can help out?” Nick blurts out.

Genesis grins slowly, “You? Help me out? How?”

“I can be your partner.” Nick whispers, blushing.

“Do you know how to dance?”

“Well I was kinda hoping you can teach me the basics. I’m a fast learner though.” Nick whispers, “But if you don’t think I can help out, I have a friend who knows Latin music and…”

Genesis cuts him off with her gentle laughter, “I can teach you. But only if you really mean it. Nick, you have a lot to learn. I don’t know if you’re ready for it.”

“Well the offer still stands and whether you think I’m ready is up to you. I just wanna help. I feel terrible that your wonderful dreams are close to vanishing cause of something bad that occurred.” Nick whispers, his eyes taking sudden interest to the metal tiles below him.

Genesis smirks and nods her head, “Very well. I’ll see you tomorrow at this address. Wear something comfortable. Trust me you’ll need it.” She hands Nick a business card with her address on it and she opens the door, exiting the club. She walks out the club, joining her friends at the awaiting van. Nick smirks and shakes his head:

“Dammit, what the hell did I just do?” Nick mutters, folding the paper in his fornt pocket and heads back to join his friends.
~*~

He drags the last black garage bag to the front of the dance hall and sighs out of breath. He turns around to see A.J. pointing and laughing. “What’s so funny Alex?”

“You Brian! You’re a mess. Look at you getting all tired cause of that. Shame, shame, shame.”

“Shut up!” Brian chuckles, heaving the bag out of the door.

Howie rolls up the wires from the speakers and heads back to the small music studio where the D.J. normally plays the music but tonight was left empty after the club closed for the night.

Kevin lifts up a cardboard box, cleaning off the racks of the shelves that were going to be added on to the walls in the small room besides the D.J.’s booth.

“Nick, do me a favor and place the loose CD’s on the new shelf. I gotta hang up more shelves. I got more new cd’s today to keep updated with the music.” He whispers getting a smirk from his friend.

“Aight.” Nick whispers, cleaning off an empty shelf and placing the CD’s on it.
“So what happened after I left?” Kevin asked curiously.

“Left from what?” Nick whispers softly, pulling a batch of cds and aligning them one by one on the shelf.

Kevin smirks, “The kitchen. I left, did the dancers left after I did?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh ok. Man I feel horrible. I got the guy by the way. He crept in from the open back door. Somebody must have left the door like that and the psycho entered it walking in with a pistol.”

Nick sighs, “I, I felt so bad for her Kev. She was all crying and I wanted to help.”

Kevin narrows his eyes and places the box down on the cluttered desk besides him. He pulls out a metal spiral shelf ready to hinge it onto the wall when he left Nick’s words seep into his thoughts.

“And did you help?”

“Yeah.”

Kevin sighs, licking his lips gently as his back was to Nick. He picks up a screw driver and nail ready to hinge on the shelf to the wall. “How?”

Nick inhales for a moment before answering, his back to Kevin as he places the last of the CD’s on the rack, before slowly and nervously turning to face Kevin. Kevin peers at him, a nail in one hand and the screwdriver in the other: “Well how did you help her?”

“I offered to be her partner for an upcoming dance performance. She needs that…”

But Nick was cut off as Kevin speaks gently, “Look Nick I know you have a good heart and such, but you offering to be a dance partner? How is that gonna help her any and you? Besides I don’t think it’s a good idea hanging out with her, I heard some bad stuff about her.”

Nick narrows his eyes and leans on the shelf, “What kind of bad stuff?”

“Just the regular, that she takes advantage of guys and Nick man you’re my buddy, I don’t want to see you hurt.” Kevin mumbles, concentrating on screwing in the nail through the wall properly.

“Where did you hear this from?” Nick whispers, curiosity egging him on.
“Nick what does it matter man?” Kevin whispers out, finally done with the added shelf to look at his friend.

“Well cause I talked with her and she seems sweet, that’s all.”

“Words can be deceiving nick. Just be careful is all I’m saying.”

“You act like I’m gonna start dating this chick or something?!” Nick whispers out defensibly.

“Nick, chill man. It’s not that big of a deal alright.” Kevin whispers, eying his now dark haired friend. “Maybe the dye is messing with you.” He playfully smirks, lifting up another box filled with more CD’s and begins to place them on the newly hinged shelf.

Nick remained silent and smirked, continuing to help out by taking another box and adding more CD’s to the same shelf he was working on.
~*~

“So Nick, is it true? You wanna join a dance team?” Brian presses further as the five men relax near the shore side of a beach. The night sky glimmering brightly as a soft ballad erupting from a group further down the beach from them.

Nick smirks and gazes down at the Heineken bottle in his hand, “Yeah. I didn’t say I was gonna join a team though.”

“Well what ever, Nicky wanna get some booty and that girl got to you huh? What’s her name Jenny?” A.J. mumbles out, lying on his bare back on the sandy ground.

“Genesis.” Kevin answers up front for Nick, gazing at his friend.

“Ah yes Gensis, hehe. Yeah, that’s her name. You think if she has kids she’ll name them Leviticus and Exodus?” A.J. smirks receiving a few groans from the others.

“Shut up J, that was a bad one.” Howie smirks, taking a sip of his drink.

A.J. chuckles, “Yeah but come on it was clever thought right?”

“No.” The other four respond in unison.

A.J. rolls his eyes, “Thanks for the support guys.”

“Hey speaking of the devil, isn’t that Geneis right over there?” Brian points to a small group of men and women about a mile down from them, playing volleyball as the hum of what seemed like Blink 182’s “Miss You” hums out of their radio.

Nick smirks, “Yeah, that’s her. Wonder why she’s hanging out here at the beach so late in the morning.”

“Probably couldn’t sleep like us.” A.J. yawns, placing his bottle of water on his bare stomach.

“Guess so. So Nicky you gonna go say hi to her?” Howie teases him, pushing his friend gently.

Nick smirks and stands up, “Maybe. No in fact, I’ll be nice and say hi to her.”

A.J. chuckles and puckers his lips out. “Nicky make sure you give her a big kiss for me ok?”

At this comment the others burst in laughter as Nick blushes and hurries over to the group of dancers where Genesis was at.

“Hey you!” Nadia calls out, grinning, waving at Nick.

Nick turns and stops to say hi to her, “Hey I’m so sorry I don’t remember your name.”

Laughing the dark haired woman gracefully answers back, “Same here. The names Nadia and you?”

“Nick.”

“Ok, Well hi Nick. I heard about your courageous duty to help out my girl Gen.” Nadia whispers, tucking a few black strand behind her ears, her rich tan glowed on brilliantly as the volleyball came sailing towards her. Nick notices the ball inches away from her and hits the ball in time to sent it over the net scoring a point for one of the teams.

Nadia smirks, giggling, “Nice hit, wonder if you can dance as well as you play.”

Nick gulps, “Oh you heard about that huh? Well I’m gonna start learning. It shouldn’t be too hard right?”

Nadia breaks into laughter, shaking her head. “Wow, just wait till you start. To be perfect will cause pain and trust me Nick, Gen loves to be perfect on the moves.”

“Hey Nick! Nadia, why are you scaring the boy off?” Genesis giggles, joining them.

“Well hey Gen just warning the man before he takes that leap. But I’ll leave you guys alone, Tony is popping junk about trying to get a point off my team.” She smirks and waves them off. Her tall lean body reaches her team as the volleyball continues.

“She’s just teasing. Though I do like close to perfection.” Genesis whispers, wrapping her wavy curls into a messy ponytail with a small clip.

Nick smiles, taking in Genesis’s beauty. He had to admit, no wonder A.J. teased him about her, she was one attractive woman, one that A.J. himself wouldn’t mind being with. “So what you doing around here?” She whispers, eyeing him.

“Couldn’t sleep, so my friends decided to hang out by the beach. Lucky the weather is getting hot for it.” Nick whispers out, his sapphire orbs glancing at the crashing morning waves.

“Yeah, I guess. The same with me. My friends through it would be nice to hang out here for a few hours before we head to get some sleep.”

“Plus its gonna be a long day for me, trying to learn all those moves.” Nick whispers out quietly.

Genesis giggles, “Yeah I guess. Thanks for wanting to help out though.”

“You’re welcome. I just wanna help out. That’s all.”

Suddenly Genesis’s team members yell out as they score another point. She turns to see them jump and holler out to each other before she faces back to Nick, “Well, you seem to have quite the luck. Maybe you’re a good luck charm after all.”

Nick laughs, “Really? That’s the first I ever heard that! I’m usually the bad luck charm. But that’s nice to know though.”

“Awww. Well you’ve been good to me so far, so maybe your charm will have an effect on your dancing skills.” She smirks as her team mates call for her. “Well.” She sighs, “I gotta head back. My team is close to winning and I don’t miss out on that.”

Nick nods, smiling, “Aight. Good luck on that and I’ll see ya later then.” He waves at her as she treks back to her team members, her brown curls topple loose as she turns around and waves at him, reaching her team and taking her position.

Nick smiles and shakes his head wondering what exactly did he get himself into.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**