- Text Size +
“One Last Dance”

**~Not For Keeps~**

She folds the sheets of papers, tucking them into the beige folder. Genesis watches the older woman nod her head who smiles warmly as she extends her hand out to Genesis. “I’m wishing you an early congratulations ma’am and hope that you can achieve the money to buy to the place. I have the house on lease ready for your approval and payments.”

“Thank you. I’ll be looking forward to do my best on the competition, I have the company riding on it.” Genesis grins, nodding her head.

“Welcome and I’m sure you have nothing to worry about ma’am.” The woman gazes at her gently, brushing back her black tendrils. “Well I should be on my way to the next meeting, so I’ll send you a copy of the form and when you can, fax me the financial data by next week after the competition.”

“Well that is if I win the competition…” Genesis mumbles out.

The woman giggles softly and shakes her head as she exits her office followed behind by Genesis, “I wouldn’t make an offer with someone I couldn’t confide in.”

“Yeah well thanks again.” Genesis exhales, walking down the office hallway, entering the waiting area.

Nadia sits up in a cushioned seat, smiling as Genesis enters the room with a soft smile spread on her light butter pecan cheeks. “Well chicky, what’s the news?”

Genesis holds up the beige folder, waving it in front of Nadia. “Well here’s all the info. I’m glad you came with me.”

“Ah, no prob girl. I left Joey in the BBQ with the other guys cause you know I had to support my girl.” She grins, standing up and hugging her friend. “So what do you say we head back to the party before all the food is gone and stuff?”

Genesis giggles and nods, “Couldn’t have said it better.”

“Nice. Ohhh, hmmmm…what’s with you and Nicky boy?” Nadia smirks as they exit the office building, heading back to their individual cars in the lot.

“What about him?” Genesis tries to hide the grin on her face, but fails miserably as Nadia laughs.

“Girl, you’re like glowing when I mention his name. You dropped the brother off before coming here but where were you before hand that took you guys so long to arrive at the party?” Nadia raises her eyebrows.

Genesis laughs and opens her car door, sliding into the driver’s seat. “Ohhhh…well…some stuff occurred. We were little busy that’s all.”

Nadia’s mouth dropped open, “Oh my God! Girl you didn’t!?” She squeals out excitedly.

Genesis laughs, shaking her head, “Noo! Girl, almost but no!” She breaks into a laugh, closing the car door as Nadia shakes her head.

“Almost?! I knew it! I knew it! You couldn’t keep your hands off white chocolate!”

“What? White chocolate? Oh God girl!” Genesis laughs: turning on the ignition as Nadia slowly makes her way back to her boyfriend’s car in shock.

“I can’t believe it. You have to tell me girl what happened?!” Nadia giggles.

“Remind me. See ya at Kevin’s place.” Genesis giggles, pulling away from the parking lot as Nadia chuckles getting into Joey’s car, buckling her seat belt and pulling away from the lot behind Genesis.

Smiling, Nadia smirks: shaking her head as she whistles, “Those two with their hands all over each other. Dancing does that to people.” She giggles, flipping on the ac in her car as she drives down the street shocked and happy for her friend.

Genesis giggles to herself as she fans herself, the soft humming of the air conditioner blasting in her car greets her sudden warm flesh. “What’s going on with me and Nick?” She whispers to herself, breathing in the cool ventilated air. She had learned actions spoke louder than words and their earlier actions this afternoon swept through Genesis’s thoughts. She feels a wide grin spreading her cheeks as she giggles. She didn’t know what to think. She loved the way Nick made her feel, inside and out. Love was something she thought only could happen in fairytales. Who was she to feel such a way to a man who only almost a week ago was a mere stranger to her? Sighing, she drives down the road, wondering what Nick was up to at the moment. She felt bad leaving him stranded at his friend’s house, she wanted to be with him the more she thought about it. She was already fearing of falling deeply for him, but she knew it was too late for that. The moment he whispered into her ears and touched her when they first dance, she knew something more would develop. She smiles, leaning back in the seat, concentrating on the road as she hums gently to the ballad playing on her radio:

“Maybe it’s intuition. But some things you just don’t question. Like in your eyes, I see my future in an instant and there it goes. I think I’ve found my best friend. I know that it might sound more than a little crazy but I believe…” She sings along to the song, a smile crossing over her face as she sighs happily, breathing the inviting cool air in her car. Humming, along, she giggles and burst out in the chorus, “I knew I loved you before I met you. I think dreamed you into life.” She pauses, letting the words seep into her thoughts as she continues the chorus, smirking: I knew I loved you before I met you, I have been waiting all my life.”

“Well Nick, look what you’re doing to me. I hope you have a reason for messing with my heart.” She whispers out to herself, a smile plastered on her lips as she whistles along to the rest of the ballad, excited as she exits the road and pulls down the familiar street, eager to see Nick and run into his arms one and for all.
~*~

He sighs, watching Farah giggle and run her fingers through his hair. “Nick pumpkin, what is it?”

Nick remains silent and pulls away from her touch, getting up from the porch stairs, making his way over to the back yard where the BBQ was occurring.

“Nick what is it?” She whispers, trailing behind him.

He sighs and leans against the side of the cabin, staring up into the glorious afternoon. “It’s just I’m getting the impression you trying to hit on me.”

Farah rolls her eyes and smiles seductively, “Well kinda yeah.” She passes her snowy hands down his left arm. “Nick, I think we should talk.”

“About what?” He whispers, inching away from her touch: knowing the longer he talked with her, the more he wanted to clear his head. His heart had already made its decision on who it belongs to and Farah wasn’t on the list.

She gazes down, her beautiful light grey eyes scroll over his face as she nibbles on her plump scarlet colored lips. “About us, about where are we at the moment in this relationship.”

Nick raises his eyebrows, snorting he straightens up. “Whatever there was of us Farah its in the past. Did you think that that one kiss would make me fall again for you?”

She narrows her eyes, brushing aside her flaxen locks behind her ears. “Nick you can’t tell me that what we had wasn’t special. We have a child for God’s sake. Don’t you think we should at least make the effort of making this work for Andy’s sake?”

Nick gulps, sighing deeply. “I’ll be in his life and you know that. But me and you…come on girl. We both know it ain’t gonna work.”

“How do you know that? You haven’t even given us a chance to try?” Farah whispers, smoothing out a small wrinkle on Nick’s shirt.

He runs his fingers through his dark hair, “Why are you doing this to me?”

“Excuse me?” She growls out, staring at him, gripping her hands on her hips.

“You heard me Farah. What are you trying to do?”

“I want us to be together, that’s what. Why are you upset with me?” She croaks out, wrapping her arms around herself.

Nick sucks his teeth, pulling Farah into an embrace. “I don’t to piss you off but seriously, you can’t be thinking I’m leading you on now. I’ve been trying my hardest over the past months to get over you, it hurts. And now you show up and try to reclaim that, it’s not that easy Farah.”

Farah rubs her eyes tiredly, gazing at him gently. “Nick, I made a mistake. I was stupid. I didn’t want you to be hurt or worried when you found out I was pregnant. I wasn’t thinking right. But when you actually left me I was devastated. I don’t know what came over me to tell you to break up with me. I was acting out of stupidity but Nick I still deeply care for you. Hell I think…no I know…I still love you.”

Nick shakes his head not believing what he just heard. “Lo…love me?”

“Yes. Why is that so hard to believe?” She touches his cheek as Nick stands stiffly, trying to understand the sticky situation he was in.

“I, I’m not sure. I don’t know. Its just you didn’t want to be with me and after all those months I had to deal losing you, you come back in my life wanting to start all over again like nothing happened. You don’t think that’s just a little strange?” He eyes her, smirking as she pulls away from him seemly distraught and annoyed.

“No. No I don’t. Nick, people make mistakes everyday. So I made one in the past. What the hell you want me to do about that? You don’t think I wasn’t at home crying over losing you. You don’t think I didn’t feel emotional pain as I lied on the hospital bed getting ready to give birth to your child: that you wouldn’t be there to see your son see the world for the first time! It pained me for the longest. I wanted to tell you, to hold you and say don’t leave for real. But it was too late.” Farah whispers, picking a small lint off Nick’s tank top.

“Yeah, it’s too late.” He brushes past her, going to the back yard.

“Nick wait! So that’s it. You’re leaving again?! You don’t even want to try this again? Is it because of another woman?” Farah yells out, holding onto Nick’s arm.

Nick slides his arm out of her grasp gently and smirks. “I’m leaving, hell I learned from you. And if it’s any of your business, then yeah maybe it is another girl.”

Farah gasps and clutches her chest as tears begin spilling over her soft eyes. “This is my reaction after I spilled my feelings to you?! Some man you are! You know what, fine if you don’t wanna be with me but what about your son?!” She shrieks out as Nick pauses and gazes at her.

“Farah don’t start this! I already told you I’ll do my best to take part in his life, but don’t be telling me what I should be feeling!” He yells out, pointing at her direction.

Farah sighs and kneels down, clasping her hands in front of her face.

Nick sighs deeply, shaking his head. “God, I’m, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to yell at ya.” He steps towards her, helping her stand back up. “I’m just confused with all the news you had. You know, I just don’t know if I can be the father Andy needs. I’m not ready for this.”

“I know. I know I screwed up. You had the right to know since I found out. But I never got around to it.” She whispers, wiping away a tear from her cheek as she sniffs.

Nick cups her chin and smiles, “Yeah well, we both screwed up then.”

Farah nods and embraces him, gently kissing him on the cheek.

Nick rubs her back, whispering into her ear, “Look if you need help with Andy in anyway. Don’t hesitate to ask me ok?”

Farah nods and smiles, pulling away from him as she leans and surprises him with a kiss on his lips.

Nick closes his eyes for a moment, falling into the kiss as Farah pulls away and smiles, brushing past him with a twinkle in her eyes.

Nick gazes over to the front of the house slowly to see Genesis standing there shocked, quickly running back to her car.

Nick gasps and chases after Genesis, “Whoa wait! Gen hold up!”

Genesis blinks back tears as she opens the driver side door to her car, ready to board back in. “Nick, enough ok! Don’t explain!”

Nick shakes his head, “No wait! It’s all a mistake! It’s not what you thought.”

Genesis waves her hand no at his direction as she slides back into the car, boarding it and turning on the ignition. The shock wearing thin on her as she sniffs and tries to control herself. “Ha, that’s a line I haven’t heard before!” She hisses out sarcastically as she tries to maintain the tears that where on the verge of spilling out of her eyes.

Nick reaches the driver’s side and grips the ledge of her open side window, “She did that! I didn’t kiss her.” He whispers out nervously, he was afraid she wouldn’t hear his side of the story and lose her because of this.

“Ha. That’s a good excuse. Cause the last I know it takes two people to kiss not one!” She yells out, gripping the steering wheel in her hands.

“Gen for my sake, hear me out. Let me explain!” He touches her arm as she growls and yanks it away from his touch.

“Don’t touch me Carter. Just be at the studio at nine in the morning tomorrow sir.” She hisses out, turning on the ignition and pulling the lever to drive away.

Nick grips the ledge of the window, “You believe me don’t you? Why are you pissed with me anyway? You never told me what you wanted from me in the first place.” Trying to persuade her to stay around longer so they can clear the air, but to no avail. He gulps and curses quietly under his breath at the statement he just made, wishing he could take it back.

Genesis snorts rudely and slams her foot on the pedal, speeding away from him and the cabin and disappearing down the corner of a road.

Nick watches the smoke of the car drift in the air as he stands there in shock, shaking his head. He sees Nadia parking her car and approach him cautiously, confusion etched on her face.

“Whoa. Look like I missed the action. Are you alright?” Nadia asks curiously, wondering why Genesis sped off leaving Nick alone.

He shakes his head, tracing his finger across his lower lip. “No, not at all.”

“Sorry. And hey you can always try and call Genesis on her cell and see if she picks up.”

Nick frowns, glancing over at her. “Nadia, what do you think she wants from me?”

“Ex-squeeze me? Run that by me again?” She smirks, eying him as they both stare at the deserted dirt road.

Nick smirks at the comment and repeats the question. “What does she want from me? I don’t know any more. I mean I thought we’re together but she didn’t tell me and now she’s mad at me.”

“Mad at you for what?” Nadia smoothes out the side of her shirt, standing besides him as she listens pensively.

Nick sighs, “Something went down and it was all a big misunderstanding.”

Nadia raises her eyebrows and stares at him seriously, listening quietly until he states his story.

“That lady that you saw Farah, she’s my ex-girlfriend.” He pauses as Nadia places her thumbs in the inside of her front jean pockets.

“Well I was just talking with her when Farah kissed me and Genesis saw it, without letting me explain.” Nick whispers out, running a hand through his disheveled dyed raven spikes.

Nadia snorts playfully and gazes at him, shaking her head. “Explain? Nick you think you can explain what you did to her? Look, I don’t know like that or anything, but I do know one thing. What you and Genesis have is something more that can’t be explain. Nick, you know she likes you, why do insist that you don’t know?” She pauses to see Nick drop his head in shame. “And Nick, I’m not slow and I know you ain’t either. You know that you like her otherwise you wouldn’t be spending some much time with her. Why can’t you see the most obvious that’s right in front of you?”

Nick looks at her in confusion, leaning on the wooden pillar in front of the cabin. “The most obvious thing?”

“Nick what do you feel for her? I can’t answer that answer that question. But you know. All I can say is listen to your heart. You have about a few days before the competition and leave this place forever. Decide by then what you want to do and if Genesis means that much that you’ll have her in it.”

“I…I want her. I told her that! She knows what I feel for her. But she keeps throwing me in different ways, I don’t know what to do or feel for her.” Nick mumbles, placing a leg on the pillar behind him.

Nadia sighs, “Genesis is like my little sister. I love that girl and I want the best for her. Nick you provide that for her. Why do you give up the fight so easy? Don’t you know she’s pushing you away to see if you’ll come back and try again. That’s the only way she’ll know you really want to be with her cause you never gave up on her.” She pats his shoulder and walks to the backyard leaving Nick in his thoughts.

Smiling gently, he slumps on the porch steps, nibbling on his lower lip as he goes through Nadia’s respond. “I don’t give up. That’s not me…” He whispers to himself, standing up he runs over to his rented black ford focus and boards it. Pulling away from the cabin, he speeds over to Genesis’s house, hoping he can talk to her once and for all. Sighing, he boards the small highway and exhales hoping Genesis will give him a chance to explain once and for all.
~*~

Genesis slows down at a stop light, leaning her head on the steering wheel as the warm tears flow down her cheeks quickly. “How...how could he?!” She tries to think through the reason, why would he lie to her? Or not be open? How could he not mention that he had a child from a previous relationship? Was he cheating on her with that woman? So many unanswered and painful questions flooded her mind back to back as her shoulder rack gently, the tears elude down her face. She couldn’t believe him, nor herself. How could she fall so fast for that man and allow him in her heart? She couldn’t believe her heart was sending her on this roller coaster of emotions for a man. She wasn’t that type of woman to let her heart lead. But the moment Nick entered her life, nothing made sense. Her clarity was gone when he was around her, but his actions today proved what he really wanted from her. Just like the other men, her body was the only thing that counted. She couldn’t believe that he claimed to care for her and then go and deliberately kiss another woman behind her back even though she was there to actually witness. But who knows what else he does behind her back. She sits up in the driver’s seat, wiping away the tears messily as she exits the car and stumbles over to her beach country house, stepping up the porch steps as she wet the path with her tears.

If Nick’s thing was to break her down, he was doing a good job, cause she was almost there or already there if her tears told another story. She closes her eyes and touches the front door, pulling out her keys and opening it, quickly stepping in and locking the door behind her as she runs sobbing into her room, closing the door behind her.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**