- Text Size +
“One Last Dance”

**~Guiding Heart~**

He gulps and leans back in the driver’s seat, watching the pelting rain crash down on the windshield as he pulls over to the side of the road, the windshield wipers scraping over the glass. He clears his throat as his hand holds his flip phone to his ear. “Ummm…Hey Genesis, its me Nick. I just wanted to call you and see how things are.” He mutters out nervously, watching A.J. park in front of him at Kevin’s cabin.

Genesis leans back into her pillows, twirling a strand of her dark hair as she smiles softly. “I heard what you said.”

“At the window?”

“Yeah.”

“And you didn’t open the door I noted.” Nick whispers, playing with the keys hanging off the ignition slot.

“Yeah. Sorry about that.” Genesis responds back slowly. “I was just still upset with you and I still am. I don’t understand the whole thing with her kissing you. I guess she means something special to you doesn’t she?”

Nick rubs his eyes, thinking through his words before speaking: “Its been a while since I saw her. We use to date and stuff…but what you saw wasn’t meant to hurt you. She still has feelings for me and stuff is just getting a little stress between her and me. So she kissed me and it caught me by surprise.”

“Well you didn’t seem to put up much of a fight about it when it happened.”

He sighs, “I, I know. I was just in shock by the whole thing.”

“You said you guys stressed about what?”

Nick sighs, he couldn’t tell her that the infant Farah carried around was his son, he didn’t have the heart to break the news to Genesis so he decided against it. “It’s kinda crazy really. I guess I think she wanted to start where we left off before I came here to visit Kevin.”

At that comment, Genesis inhaled deeply, sitting up in her bed. “You were in a relationship when you left to start one with me?” She whispers out annoyed.

“No! No, it’s not like that. We broke up a while back but there was some kind of tension with us that never really left.” Nick parks the rented ford focus and sees A.J. calling him out of the car. Nick signals to his friend to wait as he slumps back in the seat, trying to explain things to Genesis.

“Tension? Like what Nick?”

Nick gulps, staring around the area quickly, the silence in the car almost deafening to him. “It’s nothing. She told me some stuff recently, I guess she still wanted to fix this relationship, but it’s already broken.”

“Did you call me to tell me that?” Genesis begins to sound annoyed, twirling her fingers around a strand of her hair.

“I, I just want to know what’s going with us, that’s all. I mean I practically poured out my heart to you in the front porch and I don’t even get a call back. Gen, look, if you don’t want anything to happen with us, let me know now. I don’t know if I can keep being misled like this. Things for me haven’t been so easy…”

Genesis cuts him off, intercepting: “Excuse me? Hold up, you think I’m misleading you in some way?”

Nick rolls his eyes, placing a hand on the steering wheel: “What do you call what happened when we back at your place. I thought we were about to get real intimate and stuff back at your place…”

“Sex? Nick is that what you think this is all about? Sex?!” Genesis blurts out not giving him a chance to speak through his ideas.

“Huh what? No, I don’t know! What, you didn’t seem to be fighting it though?” He snaps his mouth closed realizing his mistake as he hears a gasps at the other end of the phone line. “Uhhh…ummm…no. Oh, wait that didn’t come out right I meant…”

“No. You said it loud and clear Nick. No need to explain yourself further. I guess you just like every other man out there after all. And to think here I was thinking you are the only guy I met with a different perspective about me. But I guess I was wrong.” Genesis whispers out sadly, tracing a finger over a small design on her bed sheet.

Nick sits up in the car seat confused, “Whoa wait! You’re taking this all wrong. That’s not what I meant! Gen…”

“Don’t worry about it ok? I’ll see you tomorrow Carter. Night.” And she hangs up, tossing the phone to the side of her, watching it land on the bed sheet to the right of her.

Nick sucks his teeth: “Oh God, no! Hold on…” He calls out hearing the dial tone in his ear. Cursing softly, he stares at the mobile screen watching the small boat sail across it.

“Nick you coming inside man? Any day now.” A.J. calls from the front door of the cabin, leaning on the threshold.

Nick grumbles and exits the vehicle, racing up the stairs as the rain turns into a light drizzle.

“So who were you so engrossed to on the phone?” A.J. smirks, locking the door behind him as Nick enters the house.

“Ahh nothin”

“It was Genesis.” A.J. speaks out, grinning as he makes his way over to his bedroom, “Ohh by the way, Faith is outside with Kevin and Brian. I think you guys should talk and make it clear. Cause you got me and everyone else here all confused with what’s up with you two.”

Nick scoffs, presiding over to the back porch, stepping out to catch sight of Howie and Angela cuddle softly, enjoying each other’s company. Nick rolls his eyes at the couple and glances over to where Kevin and Kristin were cleaning up the grill as they whisper and smile at each other happily. Nick sighs and sees Suzy carrying a plate of covered food inside the cabin as she pokes Nick on the ribs. Smiling, he nods and slowly walks over to Brian who was holding Andy in his arms. Shoving his hands in his front jean pockets, he sighs and slumps into an empty lounge chair next to Brian.

Smirking, Brian glances over to Nick and holds up the baby, “Well welcome back. So it’s true?”

“About what?”

“You and Farah.” Brian whispers out, looking around to see Farah enter the cabin carrying a plate of covered food helping out in cleaning the back yard.

“What about us?” Nick leans back in the seat, staring at the ceiling of the porch.

Brian snorts: “She told me you and her were back together.”

“What?” Nick sits up. “That’s not true!”

Brian raises his eyebrows: “Really? Well you better clear it up with her. She’s telling the whole household about you guys hooking up.”

Nick growls, clutching his fists: “That little bi-” He pauses, glancing at the baby eying him curiously. Nick smirks annoyed at the infant and stops himself: staring at Brian. “Look, whatever she is saying is not true. Something occurred and A.J. knows about it. But right now I’m just not in the mood to go into it.”

“Why not?”

“Cause dude she’s around here and I don’t want her overhearing anything.”

“Over hearing what?” A.J. appears, stretching his arms over head as he stands in front of the guys.

“A.J. is there anyway you can get Farah to leave? I really don’t want to talk to her right now.” Nick pleads with his friend as he sits back.

A.J. snorts, “Aight man, chill. I can do that. But you sure you don’t wanna talk with her and CLEAR things up?” He emphasizes on one of the words.

Nick shakes his head, running a hand down his black dyed spikes. “Trust me. Not right now ok?”

A.J. raises his eyebrows, “Ok, but I think you should talk with her before she leaves man.”

“Why?” Nick growls out annoyed.

“Why not? What’s the problem? You act like something happened with you two that’s making you not to talk with her…” Brian states slowly putting some ideas together. “Ohhhhhh…Ahhhhh…wait something happened.”

A.J. gasps playfully, jokily placing a hand on his chest: “By God, our country boy here thinks as good as he sings!”

Nick breaks into a laugh as Brian jokily frowns, pushing his friend away: “Man shut up.”

Nick smirks as he sits up, “Did Nadia leave already?”

“Yeah. She left when the storm was pouring heavily. Why?” Brian states: bouncing his knee with little Andy laughing gently in his arms.

“Na just asking. That’s all.” Nick murmurs waving bye to Angela who kisses Brian’s and Nick’s cheek.

“Well boys, I gotta head back home for now. So I’ll see ya guys later ok.” Angela whispers.

A.J. smirks, “Where’s my kiss pretty mama?”

“Your kiss is with Suzy.” Angela smirks, pinching A.J.’s cheek.

A.J. puckers, “Come on, smack one on me girl. You know you wanna.”

Angela laughs, “You are crazy boy.” And she leans over, quickly kissing him on his cheek as Howie pulls her away.

“Keep your hands off her boy.” Howie jokes around at A.J. as they snicker and wave good bye to Angela who walks into the house to gather her stuff.

Kevin and Kristen laugh softly as Kristen looks at her watch and groans out.

“Awww, Kevin I have to head out. I have an early appointment tomorrow with my company’s clothing department. Seems we’re hiring a new fashion designer so I have to see if she’s the one we need for our fall lineup.”

Kevin nods and places an arm around her waist, pulling her to him: kissing her slowly as the other guys begin to jokily gag and moan out a “Ewwww.”

Kristin laughs as she pulls away him, “Guess the kids aren’t ready to see that.”

“Guess not.” Kevin smirks as he hears the others laughing in the background.

Once Kirsten and Angela leave the house, Farah enters the backyard as the guys leave Nick alone to talk with her.

Nick was about to get up to get inside but Kevin shoves him back in his seat on the beach chair. “Talk with her Nick. I think you’re about to hear something that is gonna leave you in shock.” He whispers out to his friend.

Nick narrows his eyes and growls out whispering to Kevin: “Please man. I don’t wanna talk with her. I’m not in the mood.”

“Nick you’ll need to talk to her someday. Might as well do it now and get it over with. So get in the mood.” Kevin raises his dark eyebrows at him as he exits into the cabin. Nick sighs, throwing his legs up on the bench chair regretting coming back here after all. He should have stand at the bridge where the rain was his company rather than having to see the woman again.

Farah gracefully comes over to him, sliding into the vacant bench chair besides his as she sees Brian hand Andy to her before heading back into the house. Nick looks over at Brian who was entering the threshold and whispers out a “Good luck” before escaping into the house.

Sighing, Nick focuses his eyes back on Farah as she gulps and glances down at the yawning infant.

“Well Nick. I guess I should say I was glad hanging out with you today but you seemed more entertained with the dancer lady than your son.” Farah purposefully blurts out, hurting his ego along the way.

Nick licks his lips, not knowing how to respond to that: “What do you want to tell me? You’ve been acting weird lately and I don’t know what’s going on. You suddenly appear out of no where after months of not seeing each other with a child you believe is mine. So I’m tired, just tell me please what’s the deal?”

Farah brushes aside her golden locks and glances down at Andy who wiggles and begins to gurgle, swinging his tiny hands around in circles. “Nick, I came back here because of you.”

“Because of me…why?”

“Because I fallen in love with you and I didn’t know it until we were over.” Farah whispers out, tugging on loose flaxen lock.

“No.” Nick whispers.

“No…what do you mean?”

“No you’re not in love with me.” Nick whispers out, leaning his head back on the head rest of the bench chair.

“How do you know what I’m feeling? I know what I feel and it’s you Nickolas.”

Nick cringes at the usage of his full name and sighs, turning his head to look at her: “I say it cause you suddenly appear after months of not dating with a child. That’s why I say you don’t love me.” He sits up and gazes at her gently, glancing down at the infant smiling. “You’re a sweet girl and all. But if you think we can just pick and start from where we left off then its impossible.”

“Why? Why is it impossible? Nick don’t you care for me? For your son for God’s sake?”

“Shhhh…Yes I care for the both of you but that doesn’t it make what you did right. You can’t expect me to stop what I’m doing and change it all for your sake. That’s not right for you or for me.”

Farah narrows her eyes, not liking where the conversation was heading as she cradles her infant in her embrace. “Sometimes love makes you do strange things. I should know. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t love you. I came to find you Nick. Yes I’m visiting family but I knew you would be here at around this time and hence I took the chance. Sometimes you have to risk a lot of things in life to get what you want and I did that. I left my warm comfortable life in Florida to come here to find you, to get you back, to win you over. And I regret what happened in the past. If I could take it all back to not lose you again I would. Nick I lied about things that I thought I never would and I did things that I wish I never thought I could do. I regret it so much but there is nothing I can at this point.”

Nick gulps, pressing his back on the chair firmly, fidgeting, wishing he could run inside the cabin and just away from hearing what the woman was about to say. He eyes her as she pauses and exhales slowly.

“I regret things Nick, but I think you have a right to know about them.”

“Why?”

“Because it involved you in some way or another.”

Nick closes his eyes, slowly sitting up waiting to hear the news.

Farah smiles guiltily as she begins her story starting from the time they first got together. Nick’s thoughts swirled in his mind as he listens to her story to see what surprise she will now throw on him.
~*~

Genesis sniffs, blowing into a tissue as she sighs frustrated, staring at her television black screen. She couldn’t get her mind off the conversation with Nick. Why should she care for a stranger? How can she allow herself to fall for someone so easily and so quickly? Perhaps she was hoping for something more with him but how can he hurt her so fast? Maybe Nadia was right, she was falling faster that she thought for the man that it’s blinding her to a point. But he broke her heart kissing that other woman and even though he went out of his way to personally apologize to her, how can she trust that he won’t break her heart again?

Nadia folds a pile of clothes on her own bed and gazes at Genesis smirking: “You know the harder you fight it the more you lose to it.”

“Excuse me?” Genesis looks up, brushing back a lock of her dark brown hair behind her ear.

Nadia sighs, crossing over to her friend as she sits down on Genesis’s bed. “You have been fighting for the past week over what you feel for that man. Why don’t you tell me right now what is it that you’re waiting for? Do you want him to leave and not look back? Do you want to try to erase what you guys had before it becomes more? Gen, tell me already cause look, as close as I am to you as a friend, I’m confused so no wonder poor Nick is running around with his head cut off like a chicken.”

Genesis smirks at the expression used and sniffs, clasping her hands. “I’m afraid that what…” She stops, running a hand through her hair nervously.

“Of what sweetie? What do you have to be afraid of?” Nadia warmly responds, surprised to see her friend so emotional over a guy. Smiling gently, she knew that this man was far different from anyone Genesis had in her life. Never was Genesis known to get so caught with a man before but Nick was affecting her in ways she never knew.

Genesis sighs, rolling up her wet tissue: “I’m just afraid of being so hurt again. I mean look what happened with the whole kissing thing. He just called when you were in the bathroom and he was telling me about what happened but I just don’t know what to think.”

“Gen he drove through the storm to tell you he cares for you. Do you know how he feels for you? Gen the guy is head over heels for you and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out girl. He got it bad for you.” She whispers, her black curls grace her tan cinnamon face as she stands up, heading back to her bed to finish folding her clothes. “Now the question remains…what will you do about it? The ball is in your court now.”

Genesis sniffs, shrugging her shoulders: “I don’t know what to do.”

“How about I make this easier for you girl? Follow your heart. Try that and see what happens ok?”

Genesis smiles, gazing at her. “I’ll see what happens. But I’m not making any promises.”

“Gen just date him and see what happens. It can be an eye opener for the both of you.” She tucks a folded shirt into her dresser as she reaches for a pair of socks and places them neatly in the dresser.

“Date him…”

“You make is sound hard to do.” Nadia raises her eyebrows.

“It’s not that. It’s I don’t know. I just don’t know what to expect from him that’s all.”

“Expect the best, he’s not out to hurt you. He cares for you deeply and I think the last he would want is to purposely go out and hurt you. Think about it Gen, he wouldn’t waste his time driving through the rain to personally talk and apologize to you. I say what a man and damn are there more out there like that?” She jokes, gazing at her.

Genesis smirks, “I guess you’re right…for now. But I swear if something wrong happens, you’ll be first person I’m going after.”

“Is that a threat Martinez?”

“Call it as you see it Rodriguez.” Genesis smirks, standing up and heading to the bathroom.

“Ha, I shall and so it is written. Shall I call and set a date with Nick for you?” She teases.

Genesis smiles, “Knock yourself out girl.” And she closes the door behind so she can shower and clean herself up.

“Hehe, aight. Shall do.” Nadia smirks and closes her dresser, quickly going over to Genesis’s cell and finding Nick’s number on it. “Hehe, Nicky I’m about to set you up with the hottest chick around.” She whispers to herself as she dials his number.
~*~

Nick sits there stunned at the news as Farah stares at the floor filled with guilt.

“I, I’m so sorry Nick.”

“You…you did that behind my back…after all I did for you and treated me in that way?” He stands up mumbling, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Please I didn’t mean to cheat on you!”

“NOOO, THE HELL YOU DIDN’T! HOW, HOW THE HELL I AM SUPPOSE TO FEEL?!” He yells out, anger rising slowly in him.

Farah cringes as Andy begins to bawl out, his little cries breaking the argument.

Nick tenses up, making a fist as she glares at him. “I don’t know what to think now. All that time and you go behind me to sleep with another man and have his child!” He cries out. Tears touching his pupils in anger as he inhales trying to calm down.

A.J. looks from the inside the cabin at the sound of Nick’s yells and gulps. “Rok, I think he knows now.”

“Gee, you think?” Brian mumbles out sarcastically, peering through the back porch window to see the couple in distress.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to leave them there alone. Nick has a short temper and he could get himself in deeper water than he knows.” Howie whispers, inching close to the terrence.

Kevin sits up from the sofa in the den and smirks, “Trust me guys when I say he has a right to be upset with the news she told him.”

“What she say man?” A.J. asks curiously, plopping down a sofa across from him.

“I’m not here to spread gossip, let’s just say she missed up with the kid and had to confess something to Nick.” Kevin stands up, brushing a hand through his raven spikes.

“Charming. She screwed another man or something?” A.J. blurts out, his jean covered legs folded cross legged on the sofa.

Kevin raises his eyebrows and exits the den, entering his room for something.

“See, why Kevin always have to walk out on me when I’m curious about things?” A.J. smirks, popping a soda can open, swirling the dark liquid inside it. He takes a sip of the cold fresh soda as he can feel the other’s eyes on him. “What?”

“You’re an idiot Alex.” Brian chuckles, leaning on the sofa across from him, tying a red ribbon around his fingers out of boredom.

A.J. grins and eyes his sandy haired friend, “Whatever. I say what I’m curious to know. Ain’t nothing wrong with that. And besides at least I stay entertained cause then I would be tying little ribbons around my hands like someone here.”

“Hey I’m bored.” Brian snorts, tugging on the ribbon with a smirk on his face.

Howie glances outside the window shaking his head, “Well whatever she told him pissed him off fast.”

“That’s our boy.” A.J. lounges back in the sofa as all eyes stare out the glass window to see the distress couple.
~*~

She enters the small entertainment of the house finding a pot of wet clay. Bored out of her mind, she turns on the wheel as it begins to spins slowly. Slumping down into the stool, she places her hands on the wet cold clay and begins molding it into a vase. Nadia sticks her head in the room and smiles, slowly creeping in.

“Hey wow. Haven’t seen you in this room for a while. I thought I had to close it down since you barely used it. Well that or start charging for lessons to rent the room.” Nadia giggles, entering the small room decorated in a red pool table at the center of the room as it surrounds walls of curved metal spiral bookcases and shelves. A dart board was located on the right side of the white walls as large bay windows to the left exposed the sight of the beach, the pouring evening sun invited into the room.

Genesis looks up and smirks, her wet gray clay covered hands continue working on the vase before her. “Yeah well I figured if someone didn’t use this room I would have to change into a strip hall or something.”

At that comment, Nadia breaks into a laugh as she goofily begins to strip off her shades, tossing them to a small leather seat located to the left of her.

“I see you’re amused by it.”

“Sure am Angel. Ohhh I tried calling Nick’s cell but he had his voicemail on. Just call him later or something on your own and do your thing. I have to head out actually, Joey told me my cousin is planning a small get together and begin working on her wedding so I got to put my two senses in case she’s a mess at this point.” Nadia mentions, grabbing her white Prada handbag.

“Awww, that’s right. The poor thing. Well it will be worth the stress when she sees how beautiful her special day will be.” Genesis grins, looking back at the clay vase that was shaping out to be more of a bowl.

“Gen, we can always use more bowls in the house I guess. Just don’t show that to Nick. He might pick on you if he knew you made it.” Nadia teases, applying red lipstick on her full pouting lips as her smooth deeply tan caramel complexion glowed through the evening’s lazy light.

Genesis giggles and flicks a small speck of clay at her friend who gasps and moves out the way in time.

“Hey you little punk, watch it.” Nadia smirks, playfully poking her friend in the ribs. “Aight girl. I gotta head out. I’ll be back in three hours, cause I’ll be so bored out of my mind or I start a fight with my cousin and get kicked out of her house: either way should be an entertaining evening.”

“Have fun girl.”

“Ha, I’ll try. And you behave. Don’t let me catch you and mister suave doing the nasty when I walk in.” Nadia teases her as she ducks out of the way of flying clay.

“Really funny girl. We wouldn’t do something like that.”

“Yet. Cause there is always room for sex.” Nadia responds, laughing along the way as she exits the house.

“Nut.” Genesis whispers happily out to her disappearing friend as she focuses back on the clay.
~*~

Nick watches Farah board her car and she painfully looks at him before closing the door behind her. Nick could feel his eyes glare at her direction as little Andy was placed in the baby seat in the backseat by Kevin.

The other guys wave off Farah as she pulls away from the driveway, glancing back at Nick one last time before driving away down the road and disappearing.

“Kevin didn’t tell us, so what happened back there?” A.J. quietly asks, eying Nick.

Nick sighs, relieved to know that at least he was not the father of the child. “She lied to me man. Claimed the whole kid story on me cause she wanted me back in her life.”

“Whoa! Wait! Andy ain’t your kid?” A.J. inquires, settling down on the front porch step. The other guys gather around the front stairs all waiting to hear what Nick had to say.

“Yup, just about. She led me on and stuff and here I was freaking out cause I thought I screwed her up with having a child and the damn kid ain’t even mine’s!”

Brian whistles, shaking his head: “Wow, sorry Nick. I don’t get it. Why would she do that to you?”

“That’s what I was trying to find out when she was talking to me guys, but she just said she still had feelings for me and wanted me in the kid’s life.” Nick sighs out frustrated.

“Well at least that’s done and over with. Now you can concentrate on the girl you like.” Howie smiles, entering the cabin at the sound of the house phone ringing.

Nick nods as Kevin and Brian follow behind Howie inside the house.

A.J. raises his eyebrows and smirks, cracking his knuckles: “So how you gonna fix up the mess with you and miss dance till I make you horny?”

Nick smiles at the comment, shaking his head. “I still have some time. Maybe I’ll go over to her place now and see how she’s doing. Maybe she’ll talk to me now if she’s home.”

“Call Nadia and find out first if Gen is home before you head out over there. And that whole thing with Farah, man I’m just glad she left. The chick had a little obsession thing for you that was peeving me off.” A.J. leans his chin on his folded hands as small grin bursts through his lips.

“Is it pissing you off that she was here and stuff or what?” Nick smirks, sitting next to A.J. on the second step.

“That out of all the people to obsess over: she picked you. I mean if it was me, I would understand ‘cause I can’t help looking this good. But you, well you’re different.” A.J. jokes around as Nick playfully shoves him on the shoulder.

“Dude shut up.”

“Hehe. Go to her, man.”

“Huh?”

“Go to Genesis. I don’t wanna stall ya. I know you want her. The way her name cross your ears, you get all flushed and stuff. You’re worse than a school girl in plaid when it comes to liking the opposite sex.” A.J. teases softly, smiling at Nick who quietly laughs.

“It’s not that bad now is it?”

“Uhhh, yeah it is. Now go. I don’t want to stall you.” A.J. smiles: pushing Nick off the step.

Nick laughs and stands up, taking out his car keys and heading over to the black rented car.

“Na uh. Here, take the black SUV we came in.” A.J. hands the car keys over to him.

“Aight cool. Thanks man.”

“No prob. And hey take your time. Girls aren’t always easy to understand.” A.J. points out, going up the stairs and leaning over the small wooden railing on the porch.

Nick nods, “I hear ya on that. I’ll see ya later.”

“Yeah aight. And Nick good luck. She’ll talk with you, I’m sure of it.”

“I hope so.” And with that he boards the black SUV and takes off down the road as A.J. smirks, entering the house as he locks the door behind him.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**