- Text Size +
“One Last Dance”

**~Two Steps Forward~**

The hazy morning sun light filters through the window pane, causing A.J. to sit up in his rented cabin bed that Kevin lend him for the time being. Yawning, he smirks at his tussled dyed black haired friend Nick who was sleeping soundly since last night little festivity.

“Alex? Alex?” Brian murmurs from the small kitchen, the creaky wooden planks groan softly as he adjusts his weight, his sleepy sapphire orbs scan at the threshold.

A.J. groans out, yawning loudly as he sits up and swings his legs off the edge of the bed. “What?”

“What do you think of that Genesis girl?” Brian whispers quietly, eyeing his open suitcase on the side of the small black leather sofa in the tiny den in the cabin they all decided to share thanks to Kevin’s connections.

A.J. shrugs his shoulders and gazes in confusion at his friend, “Who?”

Howie chuckles gently from the kitchen, chewing quietly on a sandwich: peering at the two conversing men.

Brian in annoyance sighs out deeply, “You know the dancer girl that Nick offered to help out last night.”

“Uhh, ohhh right, right. I know who you’re talking about, it’s just too damn early that all. God, what time is it? I feel like I slept for a few hours.” A.J. grumbles out, yanking away the cool blanket from his legs, running his hands down his black boxers.

Howie smirks, poking his head in the kitchen threshold, “Ahh, Alex its close to lunch time, literally you did sleep for a few hours, buts its time to have some brunch. So get something to eat before Kevin takes all the food away.”

A.J. grumbles, scratching his green wife beater covered chest. “Ahhhhhh! I hate mornings. D, don’t rush me on eating, I’ll eat when I ready. And to answer Rok’s question, I don’t really know. I mean Kevin said he heard some wild stuff about her but its not like she’s digging Nick. Now if it was me, then I would understand why Kevin would be concerned…” He smirks, pausing as Brian and Howie chuckle quietly for a moment.

“Shhhh… You might wake up Nick, J!” Brian smirks, grabbing a cup of orange juice and taking a quick sip from his plastic cup.

“Hey you’re the ones laughing, not me.” A.J. smirks, extending his arms out over his head for a full stretch.

“Alright, alright whatever. But Kevin is being cautious with Nick now. I think he knows something about that girl that’s bugging him out.” Howie states from the kitchen table.

“Maybe, hehe. Maybe she’s a naughty one. I can dig that.” A.J. grins gently, his bare feet pad softly as he slides the back door open entering the patio.

Brian glances at Howie before exiting the kitchen, “Thank God A.J. isn’t the one dancing with Genesis or I’d be afraid.”

Howie chuckles and opens a newspaper on the kitchen table, throwing his jean clad legs on top of the table. “Guess so. It was sweet of Nick to do that though. But why would he offer to help her dance is a question that I can’t figure out.”

Brian chuckles gently, sliding into a seat across from Howie, “Funny how you say that. Nick doesn’t have a dancing bone in his body since I met him when we were kids. I don’t know how Genesis is gonna teach advance moves to him in a short matter of two weeks.”

“Well if she does make it, then hey, miracles can happen.” A.J. whispers out, entering the kitchen now, preparing a sandwich.

Brian and Howie glance at each other, each a smirk scrolled on their faces as they concentrated each on their own things. Brian sipping and glancing at his cup, while Howie scanning the headlines on the newspaper on the table top.

“Quick question what was the bet that has Nicky boy with a darker look?” Brian whispers.

A.J. chuckles, taking a bite out of his ham sandwich, “We bet last week before coming over here about a girl.”

“Figured it was girl, Nick would never do anything unless it involved a girl.” Howie smirks.

“Yeah well the whole bet was based on each of us picking out a girl for the other and see if we can persuade the chick to give her number to us and at least get her to come back to our place.” A.J. explains, buttering his muffin.

“And Nick lost that bet?” Brian chuckles.

“While he was close to winning, I mean the chick was cool and stuff and since I picked her out for him, she was all over him. So I’m thinking damn I’m gonna lose this bet, but before I know it when Nick was gonna head out to take her to his place, she came up with some lame excuse that her cat was ill and she needed to get home to care for it.”

Brian and Howie howl out in laughter while A.J. joined in, creating a couple of meows for the full effect.

“Man, he got played. No wonder he’s eager to chill with Genesis.” Howie smirks.

They hear a small rustle in the den and all three heads glance at the wooden kitchen threshold to see Kevin ease his way into the kitchen fully dressed in dark blue jeans and black tank top. “Morning guys. Seems Nicky is still sleeping.”

“Sure looks like it.” A.J. snorts, rolling his eyes as he heads over to the mahogany table with the other two and slides into a seat.

Kevin inhales and heads to the fridge, feeling the boring of the others eyes on him. Narrowing his eyes, he faces the guys and innocently asks, “What?”

A.J. grins and was about to speak when he was nudged roughly by Howie in his ribs. Growling, A.J. slumps back in his seat, pouting and rubbing the sore spot on his ribs.

“What’s with the looks guys?” Kevin finally asks, holding a gallon of milk in his hands.

Brian clears his throat and decided it was best for him to speak to his cousin, “Uh yeah well Kev, you know Nicky is heading out today right?”

“Yeah with us, you didn’t forget we’re all going to the barbeque at Quincy’s place right?” Kevin asks, pouring a cup of coffee into his mug and adding the essential milk needed for him to taste the coffee best.

“Nope, I didn’t forget but Nick won’t be with us. You didn’t forget he offered to help out Genesis right?” Brian quietly whispers, the summer air in the kitchen thickens deeply as Kevin’s shoulders tenses up.

“Uh Kev, you ok?” Howie whispers, flipping a page in the newspaper but his eyes focus on his discomforted friend.

Kevin breathes out slowly and faces the guys, “That must have slipped my mind.” He whispers and quickly exits the kitchen: the polished wooden planks creak beneath him as he exits the small sunny room.

The silence in the kitchen loomed for a few more seconds before A.J. breaks the quietness, “Well that was weird.” He whispers out, getting a few smirks from the other two as they begin talking about the plans for the day.
~*~

“Hey, whoo hoo! You up yet?” Nadia whispers softly in Genesis’s ear. Genesis shots up in bed alarmed, staring at her friend’s face.

“Ah Dios! I’m not late right?!” She bolts out of bed in a panic and rushes over to the bathroom stall in her room.

Laughing, Nadia grabs her friend’s arm and swings her back to look at her. “Chill out. It’s still early. I was just concerned that’s all. Its noon and you’ve been sleeping since half pass five already.”

“Well I was tired.” Genesis mumbles, slowly heading back to the bathroom in the small lavish one story house they owned off the side of the beach.

“Yeah, I can’t blame you. You had a rough night.” Nadia whispers, taking a seat on a plush bean bag in their shared bedroom.

Genesis sighs, pulling some chocolate strands out of her face. “Yeah well it wasn’t all that bad now you know.” She smiles instinctively, heading towards the bathroom.

Nadia giggles, pulling on a black strand of her hair, “Dare I say you feeling white boy back at the club?”

Genesis smirks, “Well he’s not that white now is he?”

Nadia shrugs her shoulders, “I don’t know, you were the one who was taking up his time.”

“His time? Excuse me?” Genesis grins, standing in the bathroom’s threshold.

“You into him?”

“What? I don’t even know him. I can’t like the man if I have no idea what type of guy he really is.” Genesis brushes off the question, too tired and annoyed to care.

“Oh but you thought he was hott last night though didn’t you?” Nadia insisted, probing her friend for more answers.

“You know what you need to do, is go find that boyfriend of yours and have some sex to get your mind off me ‘cause you’ve been obsessed with that same question since last night.” Genesis teases, receiving a playful shock look from her friend’s face.

“How rude! Well at least I get some.” Nadia smirks, exiting the room.

Genesis rolls her eyes and closes the bathroom door behind her, getting ready to meet the man that will be her partner for the up coming competition.
~*~

Brian shakes his head as the dark rain clouds cover the sky. “Hmmmm…its starting to look nasty outside, Nick you still rolling out to meet her?”

“Yeah.” Nick raises his head as he tugs on the laces on one of his white addias sneakers. “Question. What’s up’s with Kevin? He seems pissed off that I ain’t heading out with you guys.”

“Oh he just hating, that’s all.” A.J. drawls out, a smirk plastered on his face.

“On what?” Howie enters the den, plopping down on a vacant sofa with a remote control in his hand.

“Kev hating Nick cause he gets to hang with a chick and get booty.” A.J. responds jokily.

Nick sighs, shaking his head, “Real funny J, haha. Come on, you know it ain’t like that.”

Brian smirks as Howie sighs and stares at Nick, “Kev told me a little about Genesis that I think you should know.”

The others gather around Howie as he clears his throat and eyes Nick, “Seems Genesis is known in this community as the town whore. Men can’t stop talking about her and the women can’t stand her.”

Nick’s mouth drops open, “What?!”

“Say what? Yo Nicky with a hoochie?!” A.J. whispers out, hoping to lighten the distill mood that blanketed the room.

Howie’s gentle eyes glance up at Nick, “I think it’s pretty serious though Nick, she made quite the name for herself around this place and that’s what bothering Kevin. He’s only watching out for you that’s all.”

Nick gulps, exhaling breathing, “Wow. Damn. Well, I’ll be careful, but I mean those are just rumors right? Kevin told me about it last night.”

“Call it rumors or whatever, but she’s not as sweet as she looks.” Kevin whispers quietly, entering the den upon the ongoing conversation.

Nick sighs and turns to him, “I’m just offering to dance with her, don’t stress yourself about it.”

“Just be careful, love is a dangerous thing, especially when it comes with her.” He whispers softly, exiting the den quickly.

A.J. narrows his eyes, “Dude is getting weirder each time he talks.”

Brian exhales softly, smiling at A.J.’s comment, “Yeah, but I think he isn’t telling us the entire story. There’s something more and I think it involves him.”

Nick sighs, tugging on his black t-shirt and adjusting his light blue jeans. “Well I’m heading out. I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“Aight. And Nick, hehe: have fun.” A.J. smirks.

Nick burst into a laugh as he exits the front door, “I’ll try and give you all the scoop when I come back.”

“Nice!” A.J. beams, waving off Nick as the now black haired man exits the cabin and heads to the rented black Ford Focus.

Nick sighs, gazing up at the darkening sky, eying his umbrella in the backseat. He boards the car and speeds off down the road while his three friends stare out the cabin window watching him leave.
~*~

“You think he’s coming?” Genesis whispers out softly for what seemed liked the millionth time already. She gazes out at the rainy weather outside, soft raindrops slide gently down the window pane from outside.

“Gen, chill. He’ll come. I’m sure of it. Besides I think he’s into you anyway.” Nadia grins gently, placing a blue windbreaker on before heading out of the house. “Look, if he doesn’t make it, just call me. I’m sure the guy would have valid excuse for this.”

Genesis raises her head and smiles, “Ok, you just have fun then. See ya later.”

“You too sweetie. And hey I don’t think he knows.” Nadia whispers gently, cupping her friend’s chin.

Genesis sniffs quietly, looking below at the polished wooden planks below her, “God Nadia, I just get so tired with the way people think of me. They all assume cause I’m not from around here or that I’m Latin or both, that I been all over with men.”

Nadia sighs, “Who cares what strangers think of you. You and I both know what a wonderful woman you are. You have dreams, ambitions. Something that a lot of those people around here don’t have a clue about.”

Genesis wraps her arms around her friend, “Ahh gracias. ”

“No prob girl. Listen, I’m running late. Joey is gonna kill me if I get to his parent’s place late. You know today is the first time I’m meeting his parents, I want to make a good impression on them.” Nadia whispers, a faint blush cross her tan complexion.

“And you will.” Genesis whispers, waving a bye as her friend leaves, leaving Genesis alone and lost in thought.
~*~

Nick grumbles, the rain pounding down as he slowly drives down another road. ‘If I get lost, its over.’ He thinks quietly, gazing at the business card that was given to him last night from Genesis. “!4-32, where the hell is that house number?” He whispers out quietly, passing by rows of houses. Finally after much frustration, he stops in front of a small slate country house and sighs, leaning back in the seat. He takes a deep breath, “God, she better be there. I do not want to come here for nothing.” He whispers, getting out of the car and reaching for his umbrella. He closes the car behind him, holding the open umbrella above him. He was about to head over to the house when he spots the petite woman in a huge oversize grey sweater, standing on the porch.

“Well you made it.” Genesis smirks, stepping down the porch steps, getting wet quickly with the rushing rain.

“Yeah, though I’m assuming there’s a dance studio around here right?”

Genesis smirks, “Actually no. I’m gonna show you the basic dance moves a few blocks away from here.”

“In a building?”

Genesis laughs, “The rain will pass, we’re heading to the river.”

“What? River?” He fumbles out in shock.

Genesis breaks into a giggle and pushes Nick gently, “Yes, now let’s go, we’re wasting time here.”

Nick smirks, getting into his car, “You not planning to get in the car all wet right?”

Genesis grins brightly and opens the passenger side door, “Already taken care of.” And she flings her purple back pack into the backseat, climbing into the back seat to open her bag.

Nick slides into the driver’s seat and was about to take off as he gazes back at Genesis, “What are you doing?”

“Changing. Now just drive down this road, it’ll be a half an hour before we reach our destination.” She whispers, taking off her sweater and reaching to the front to turn on the radio to an old school classic station where it was playing Whitney Houston’s “If I don’t have you.”

“Share my life
Take me for what I am
Cuz I'll never change
All my colors for you
Take my love
I'll never ask for too much
Just all that you are
And everything that you do.”


The sweet lyrics smooth the atmosphere as she quickly slides off her pants into blue jeans. Nick slowly drives down the road, passing by tons of houses. “So you like the old school music then I see.”

“Love it. Have a fascination with it. Everything about it at the period was so full of strong emotions and important things. Not like today’s music with sex, women and cars.”

Nick laughs, “I don’t find anything wrong with sex.”

“I didn’t either, it’s just not something that shouldn’t be talked about so much ‘cause it loses its significance. Well at least that’s the way I see it.” Genesis giggles, taking off her shirt.

Nick glances at the side view window and smiles, taking a quick peek at Genesis changing.

“Keep your eyes on the road Nick.” Genesis smirks as Nick blushes and concentrates on the road. The smooth music lingers in the atmosphere as Nick reaches the end of the road:

“I don't really need to look
Very much farther
I don't wanna go
Where you don't follow
I don't hold it back again
This passion inside
Can't run from myself
There's nowhere to hide.”

“Ok, you can pull up on the road side right here. We’re here.” Genesis whispers, tugging a clean dry shirt over her.

“Aight.” The car slows down as Nick shifts the stick to parking. They pull up to the wet dirt road, the small forest around as the rain fall stops. The sky begins to clear up to reveal its glorious afternoon clear blue sunny heavens.

“See, didn’t I tell ya the rain will pass.” Genesis whispers, leaping out of car, racing over to a pier.

Nick looks around the quaint forest and smiles, running behind Genesis. “So ahh, nice place. But why here?”

“Oh I like the beauty and plus it’s relaxing. I figured if I’m to train you that you would feel uptight and pressured in the studio. Besides, I heard you like the water, so this should be a nice place to chill and learn.”

Nick nods a grin appearing on his lips, “Yeah, the guys told ya huh?”

“Yeah, I hope that’s alright.”

“Yeah, its all good.”

“Ok well good to know. So you’re ready to learn and take a chance?” Genesis whispers, stretching her butter pecan arms over head.

“Yeah, I guess. Go easy on me though. I have no idea what’s gonna happen.” Nick playfully teases, tucking his car keys away.

“I will. But first question, you do know what type of dancing I’ll be showing you?” Genesis whispers.

“Oh isn’t it that Latin dancing you were up there with the group dancing?” Nick asks innocently.

Genesis laughs, her brown wavy hair tumbles down her shoulders. “Uh no. That was something planned. See what I teach is dirty dancing.”

“Dir…dirty dancing?!” Nick squeaks out.

“Yeah, I thought you knew that? Nadia is the one that teaches Latin dancing. I however teach those naughty moves that your parents will fear.” Genesis grin evilly, her light brown eyes gleam mischievously.

Nick gulps and nervously runs a hand through his hair as she leads him towards the pier. “I can do this. I got nothing to fear.” Nick whispers to himself as she stands near the pier, pulling out her small radio with the same song playing from the car just a few minutes before:

“Don't make me close one more door
I don't wanna hurt anymore
Stay in my arms if you dare
Must I imagine you there?
Don't walk away from me
I Have Nothing
Nothing
Nothing, if i don't have you (you-oo, you-oo, you)”

Grinning, Genesis calls him over with her pointer finger as she pulls off her shirt to reveal a red bikini top. “First step: don’t look like you’re gonna piss on yourself. The audience can always sense what the performer is dreading.” Smiling, she jumps off the edge of the wooden pier in her jeans and sneakers , diving into the cool water below her. “Come in Nick, we have a lot of steps and you need to start knowing them.”

Nick looks up at the clear blue heavens and breathes out, “Thank you Lord, this is a nice gift. I promise to behave.” And with that, he quickly inches to the edge of the pier, slowly taking off his shirt.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**