- Text Size +
“One Last Dance”


**~Embracing Arms~**

Kevin gulps nervously, the drumming of his heart racing through his system as he paces around the living room in the cabin.

“Yo Kev, take a chill pill. You’re wearing me out and I’m sitting.” A.J. gnawed on his thumb, scanning over a sports magazine.

“It’s not that easy. I have to do the rehearsal today and I don’t feel up to par.” Kevin groans out frustrated.

“So what do you want me to about it? You know Nick’s condition and he can’t break that promise he made to her.” A.J. calmly retorts, flipping a page with a smirk on his handsome face.

Kevin growls out: glaring at A.J. who remains scanning over an article in the magazine. “I just think you believe this is a big joke.”

“Well duh. Could have fooled me, cause I thought for sure you would have caught on already?” A.J. muses playfully, a grin spread across his shifty face.

“Look I don’t wanna mess it up that’s all.”

“And you won’t. Stop worrying about it.” Brian enters the den, chewing on a bagel. “Kev since how long have I known you that when something like filling in on dancing becomes an issue?”

Sighing, Kevin reflects over the past inquisition, snorting: “Don’t start this Brian. I’m nervous taking the stage. I haven’t done this for a while and this is Nick’s big chance. The last I wanna do is screw it up for him.”

Brian smiles softly, sliding into the sofa besides A.J. “Look, I gotta agree with A.J. for once.”

A.J.’s mouth drops open as Howie steps out of the kitchen in shock, a piece of cookie tumbles out of his mouth as he watches in shock at Brian’s comment. Kevin seemed flabbergasted at the concept, gazing at him strangely.

A.J. chuckles, sitting up: “Yo did you hear that?! Haha, Brian is agreeing, meaning yes people get a load of this, I’m right! Haha. That’s right, I’m right and ya can all go and screw yourselves cause I’m right!” A.J. laughs in glee, tossing his head back to add more emphasis as Howie finds a roll up newspaper, bopping it across his friend’s head.

“Hey Ow…” A.J. smirks while the others chuckle gathering around the den.

“Ok so what’s the verdict man?” Howie drums his fingers on the arm of the sofa.

“Wait we’re forgetting something very important.” A.J. murmurs lost in thought as he gazes around at his three friends. “Something isn’t right…I can’t figure it out man…” His eyes glaze over Howie, A.J. and Kevin as he smirks. “Duh.”

“What are you talking about man?” Howie glances around in confusion as the others do the same.

“Hello my crackers. Dammit I knew I left them in the kitchen. Be right back.” A.J. smiles as the others groan.

“Somebody get Nick.” Brian rolls his eyes at A.J who cockily strolls across to the kitchen to retrieve the small snacks.

Howie sighs, “Don’t all raise your hands at once now.” He murmurs out sarcastically as he heads to Nick’s room to get the sleeping man. Knocking on the door impatiently, he presses his ear to the door. “Yoo hoo, Nicky boy time to wake up and join us man.” He could hear shuffling and mumbles coming from behind the door as he waits calmly.

Nick yawns, grumbling at his ankle as he sits up in bed, gazing around for his crutches. He reaches out to the crutches across from him leaning on the threshold of the closet. Inches away from grasping the items, the crutches slid down to the floor, falling back into the closet as Nick hisses out, now making the task more burdening than before. “I won’t get mad…I won’t get mad. It’s just some crutches, nothing to be pissed off about. I can do this.” He calmly breaths out: trying to clear his mind. Slowly he closes his eyes, reopening them to see the crutches lying on the closet floor almost mocking him in his ironic luck. Growling, he closes his fists tightly before realizing a relentlessly slew of profanity coming from him, loud enough for Howie to hear through the other side of the door.

“Yo D, any day now man.” A.J. calls out from the sofa.

“Don’t tell me that, Nick is the one behind the door.” Howie rolls his eyes, leaning on the side of the threshold, waiting for the door to swing open.

Kevin blinks, staring at the closed bedroom as the others do the same, all eagerly waiting for Nick to make his appearance.

“Ummm…” Brian glances at his watch: “How long should we sit here before we figure out that Nick isn’t coming out?”

“Now sounds good. Don’t ya think?” Howie gazes back at Kevin who sighs, coming up to the door. Knocking softly on it, he waits to hear nothing but a small glass item crash within the room. “Nick! Nick, are you alright? Do you need help? Was that glass that fell?”

The others watch curiously, hoping Nick would just give up and open the door for them already.

Nick grunts, throwing his legs over the ledge of his bed gazing at the wrapped ankle in pity. “What am I gonna do? I have twenty-four hours of miracle to heal this ankle and I can’t even walk right.” He grumbles to himself. Sighing, he hears the knocking getting louder causing him to frown. “Chill out man! I’m fine.”

He cuts his gaze over to the small glass flower vase splintered across the shining mahogany planks that he kicked out of his fit of anger that spellbound him only a few seconds ago. “Yeah. Yeah I’m fine. I hope Brian didn’t like that glass vase cause it’s broken now.”

Kevin’s mouth drops open, “My vase?! You broke my vase?!” He calls out from the other side of the door.

“Dude anger problems much?” A.J. snorts: “It’s only a glass vase. Who cares?”

“I care! A.J. that vase was an antique which I bought off a highly established art center where artists such as Van Gogh and Devinchi used as inspiration for their well established paintings. That’s why I care!” Kevin growls out: his gaze cutting into A.J.

“Wow, Van Gogh. That’s deep man. He was the loony guy who cut off his ear or something right?” A.J. grins, receiving an annoyed push from Howie.

Kevin murmurs: “Its ok…It’s just a material…something that I bought at an auction. Sure it had sentimental feelings behind it…but it’s nothing… it’s just an item.” He tries to reassure himself as the others hold back their laughter.

Straightening up slowly, Kevin knocks on the door hoping to calm down before he lunges at one of the guys. “Hey Nick, it’s alright about the vase man. No big deal, just come out and join us.”

“That’s easy for you to say, my crutches fell in the closet and I don’t wanna walk on the ankle to get across the room ‘cause I need it to heal.”

“Well Nick’s that understandable, but you have to at least make it out the room, I mean the bathroom and kitchen are here and you might want to see those places through out the day.” Kevin tries boldly to convince the man to open the door.

Nick sighs, rolling his eyes as he reaches across the bed to unlock the door. “K, ya can come in now if ya want.”

Kevin turns the handle, swinging the door open as he steps gasping at the broken glass vase. Growling, he turns to Nick who simply bats his eyes innocently wearing a rather mischievous smirk on his handsome face sending Kevin to growl out and leap towards the man.

“AHHHHHH!!!” Nick yells out as Kevin lands on Nick, trying to yank out his hair. Howie and Brian race into the room, prying Kevin’s grip off Nick while A.J.’s laughter seems to mix in the odd combination of anger.

“Dude I thought you said the stupid vase wasn’t important!” Nick hisses out, touching his hair in case of any missing strands, sighing out in relief to find no bald spots on his scalp.

A.J. leans against the threshold laughing softly as he shakes his head: “Dude, come on you should have known better. You know Kevin was gonna get ya for that.”

Nick rolls his eyes, sighing: “Whatever, it’s broken, it’s nothing he can do about it.”

Kevin struggles against Howie and Brian’s grip, calming down as a smirk appears on his lips. “You’re right Nick. There isn’t anything I can about it. But since I can’t get the vase back, I’ll have to go after you.” And he slips out of their grip, lunging again at the laughing Nick.

“Kevin stop!” Brian whispers out between laughs, gripping Kevin in his grasp as Howie grabs the other arm pulling it.

Kevin sighs and leans back against his friend’s grip, gazing at Nick intensely before breathing out. “Well. Since we’re all here, I guess we can talk about any queries and such before I go out and do the dance rehearsal.”

“Right, like don’t make Nick look like an as…” A.J. begins stating as Howie pops him in the mouth laughing.

“Sorry Alex, be quiet for the time being.” Howie smirks sending A.J. to mumble off few profanities under his breath.

Nick grins, chuckling softly at A.J.’s comment as Kevin gazes at him. “Fine, what do you need to know?”

Kevin sighs, “I don’t know. I just don’t think this is right. I’m doing this cause I know it means a lot to you, but I don’t feel ready at all. I had to learn the entire dance performance in a day and I still feel rusty in some of the moves.”

“Well just do what you can. As long as the judges have yours or rather my name down for tomorrow’s competition, then I could care less how badly you perform.” Nick teases, locking eyes with the older green eyed man.

Kevin exhales, annoyed at the fact that Nick didn’t seem worried at all about his performance. “Aren’t you the least bit worried I could mess up?”

“Kev stop it. You’ve been trained and know how to dance. It’s just for tonight: the dance is what like a good three minutes or so? Why are you making it into a bigger deal than it is?” Brian murmurs.

“Yeah Brian got a point. You know what to do Kev, don’t worry about it cause its not gonna do you any good.” Howie retorts, stepping out of the room following A.J.

Kevin sighs, “Fine…fine. I guess I’ll go out there and do my thing.”

“That’s the attitude man. Go out like a tiger.” Brian beams as he gets Nick’s crutches, handing it to him.

“Thanks B. And yeah what Brian said. Besides you at least you have dancing skills in your past, I don’t.” Nick shrugs, standing up on the crutches as Brian exits the door.

Kevin smirks: “Ah I guess Brian’s right. Go out like a tiger huh? What the hell does that mean?”

Nick breaks into a heavy laughter as Brian pokes his head through the threshold: “Kev it means like a tiger who performs their tricks, share that with the judges. I’m sure Nick will make it in tomorrow for the dance competition.”

“Yeah, yeah you’re right and hey sorry about the vase man.” Nick grins widely, batting his eyes at Kevin’s direction causing Kevin to break into a large grin.

“God you’re so lucky you’re hurt right now. That was a one of kind vase.” Kevin teases as he helps Nick out of the room.
~*~

Kevin races into the dance studio out of breath as Nadia and Genesis glance up at the staggering man.

“Deep breaths boy, we don’t need you to pass out for the last fill in.” Nadia smiles warmly, heading towards the stereo to play the chosen music. “Alright Kevin, here are the small changes in music wise. You guys are gonna start the basic three steps with the single “Fever’ playing off to get the audience in the vibe. Then from there, the music will flip quickly over to Donna’s Summer’s “Last Dance” where you guys will finish the performance off with the rest of the choreographed part.” Nadia bobs her head to a slow song playing off the stereo.

“Ok. Not a problem I guess.” Kevin warmly responds, looking around the studio lost.

“Kevin you’ll do just fine. The moves aren’t complicated. They’re just intricate in its own simple way if that makes any sense. Besides you have dancer’s blood in ya, I see the fire in you when the music comes up. And since we don’t have a choice at the moment, you’ll have to do it for Nick.” Genesis smiles, folding her hands before her.

“Ok…” Kevin sighs, already dressed in a simple black t-shirt and loose fitting cargo pants to move around in. “I got it. I’ll do this right. Don’t you worry.”

“Well good, that’s all I’m asking you to do.” Genesis nods, a grin smearing across her face as the music begins to start their practice.
~*~
She taps her red stilettos against the waxed mahogany dance floor of the club where the rehearsals where taking place. She watches amazed at the dance couple on stage at the moment twirling and dancing intricate steps to tango music blasting from the stereo system. Genesis glances around the intimate club, its soft warm earth tones colors painted the walls and ceilings, leaving an eerie calming sense to those in the place. She looks around to see Nadia talking with Kevin who seemed up in arms about going through with the performance because of his failure at the practice back in the studio. Genesis sighs, recalling only a few hours ago the dance steps back in the studio that confused and agitated Kevin who tried to remember all the complicated steps following the simple steps in the beginning.

Genesis drums her fingers on the wooden table top nervously as she hears a soft whisper in her ear.

“Is this seat taken?” the voice asks sending her into grin. She turns to face Nick who was in crutches gazing at her.

“What are you doing here?” Genesis smiles, gazing sadly at his wrapped ankle.

“Oh well, I couldn’t stay home wondering how Kevin was gonna fail me so I decided to actually watch him suck. I mean that’s a new form of my entertainment.” Nick grins, sliding into the seat besides her.

Genesis giggles, shaking her head gazing at the fair headed man who bright azure eyes seem almost glowing in the dim lights of the club.

“So those five people over there by the stage are gonna be the ones who are gonna determine if we make it tomorrow?” Nick points to a row of paneled tables aligned together in front of the stage with five people: three women and two men who watch the present performance before them.

“Yup, pretty much.” She whispers, gazing down at her nails.

Nick extends his hand out, rubbing her knuckles with his hands: “What are you worried about? You’re the one who can actually dance.” Nick snorts, smirking at her direction.

Genesis smiles, “Its not me I’m worried about. It’s your friend over there who seems to be losing his mind.”

“Oh Kevin?” Nick glances behind him to see Kevin running a hand through his hair as Nadia tries to reassure the nervous man.

“He’s worried that if he doesn’t perform, that he would be messing up both of our chances for the final performance tomorrow.” Genesis idly gazes up at the young man who simply pulls her into a hug.

“Ah he’ll do fine. He’s the worry wart out of the group of my friends.” Nick states with a smug expression crossing his lips.

Genesis nods, grinning: “Well he’s worried for a good reason at least right?”

“Yeah.” Nick whispers out, pulling her to him on his lap. “I missed you.” He breaths out softly into her ear. “When I was told to stay to rest up, all I kept thinking about was you. And even now, even as I look at you damn I can’t wait to just hold you more.”

Genesis blushes, giggling. “Nadia believes I could be falling in love with you, but that’s impossible cause love takes time doesn’t it?”

“What’s so hard about believing in that? People fall in love at first sight, it’s a proven theory, I saw my friend go through that and he’s now a married man with a child.” Nick whispers gently in her ears as his hand snakes around her waist.

Genesis giggles, “Nick, be real for a second. I don’t think anyone can fall in love like that, it’s too fast.”

“You don’t believe in that?” Nick gazes at her softly.

“I…I don’t know. No.”

“Well I do.” Nick smiles, “Yesterday I was taking with Alex, you know the loud mouth rebel looking guy, well anyway, he mentioned the whole falling for her thing and I didn’t want to believe it…” He trails off, his eyes avert to the stage for a second to see a couple twirl and bow as the judges clap and call for the next performers.

“Didn’t want to believe in what Nick?” Genesis calls his attention back as he smiles.

“That I think I’m starting to fall in love with you Genesis.” Nick mumbles out, feeling his cheek blaze a red tint.

Genesis smiles, gently kissing his lips that seem to captivate the lost repressed emotions and inner turmoil they’re both enduring. “How do you know you’re falling in love Nick? We have our little crushes and stuff, what makes you think this isn’t one of them?”

Nick pulls her closer on his lap so she sat on his left thigh, her arms wrapped around his neck. “Because you’re the first woman I ever felt these strange feelings for. I can be in a room full of people and see no one but you. I can have you next to me so close and still feel like you’re not close enough to me. That the word sex means nothing to me, but making love is the greatest thing out there. That I can stare at you for hours and never get bored and that whenever you talk: my heart jumps just a little and I get shivers when you touch me.” He whispers out, surprised by his utter boldness in completely expressing himself to her without fearing of holding back. “That’s the truth Gen. That’s all I can say about it. I don’t know if that implies love or it’s just a crush to you. But for me, this is something I can’t explain in words. I was only able to say what I can with the little words can do.”

Genesis gulps, blinking back tears as she hears her name being called out from the judges. She nervously passes a hand through his blond hair, standing up and moving away from him to head to the stage.

“Genesis…good luck.” He whispers out, eyeing her as she runs back to him, pulling him to her slowly kissing him intensely as warm feelings surge out of her soul, wanting to be tamed but never holding back. “Ok. I will cause you’re here. You’re my charm, my luck.”

“You’ll do fine angel. Make those judges eat their words about holding us back.” Nick smiles, leaning back in his seat as he was called off by a security to be led out for outsiders were not permitted in the rehearsal areas at the moment.

Genesis watches Nick being led out as he turns and does a quick wave, exiting the room as the door close behind him. She smiles, going up the stage stairs, the stairs groan and creak as she walks quietly over to the center of the stage in her red frayed thin strapped dress as Kevin follows behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist for the first dance step. Smiling, she looks up at Kevin as he grins: “I’ll be ok. Nadia talked with me long enough until I felt stupid about my freak out.”

“Heh, that’s Dee for ya.” Genesis smiles: watching Nadia wave and giving them a thumbs up, exiting the room as well.

“Ok, I’m ready.” Kevin whispers, dressed in simple black pants and a dressy black long sleeved shirt, rolled up to his elbows.

Genesis glances over the five judges, each with their little beady eyes on her scratching something down on a pad of paper. Each of the judge’s faces showed a bored tired look as if they stuck here all day to pick the selected few for tomorrow’s main event. Genesis gulps down the fear rising in the pit of her stomach at the stares of the strangers judging her every move. It was now or never that she would take her chance at proving herself over and over again to the dance company. With fire in her eyes and a sudden burst of self confidence gripping her as she thinks of Nick, she grins, touching Kevin’s hands around her waist.

“Great. Now to give them a great show.” She smiles as the familiar music blast out of the stereo setting them up:
“NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU,
NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH I CARE.
WHEN YOU PUT YOUR ARMS AROUND ME,
I GET A FEVER THAT`S SO HARD TO BEAR.”
Genesis slides down seductively as Kevin goes along and wraps his arms around her back as she slides into a dip. Throwing her leg up on his shoulder, Kevin lifts her up as she moves to slow song. As Kevin reaches to put her down, he feels himself suddenly getting sick from the past lunch he ate. Gulping he tries to holds down the trembling his stomach gave off as it rumbled out in disapproval. Kevin forces a smile on his face as the music changes to “Last Dance” setting off a list of their choreographed steps. They dance to the beat, never missing a step except a minor mishap or so on Kevin’s part of not remembering a step or so, but nothing drastic that would cause the couple to be picked. Finally as the music reaches the end, Kevin was about to pick her for the final lift in which she would pose and finish when he could no longer control his stomach. In a quick haste, Kevin lifts her up and shaking slightly, clamps his mouth closed as the vile begins to creep up his esophagus. Genesis poses, extending a leg up as the music finishes while the judges nod and scribble something on their note pads. Kevin gags as he places Genesis back down on the ground and without warning, regurgitates on the judges table, spilling the slew of the food that had caused his stomach to react.

Genesis’s mouth drops open in shock as Kevin gasps, inching away from the table as the judges hiss and leap off the table in utter disgust each yelling and pointing a finger at Kevin’s direction.

“Kev…why didn’t you say you were sick?” Genesis whispers out through all the yelling coming from the judges.

“I don’t know. I didn’t think I would react that way with the lunch I had. Plus to add that with the nervousness, it didn’t work out well for me.” Kevin shamefully states, feeling beyond embarrassed with that.

Genesis smirks, placing a hand on his shoulder as she smiles: “Well at least you waited to the end and performed the dance well. Now the judges will remember us for sure.” She giggles causing a small smile on Kevin’s face as well.

One of the male judges grunts and puffs up in anger, gazing at Genesis: “Did you think that was amusing miss Martinez?!”

Genesis gulps, standing straight up, staring at the bug eyed slightly hefty judge. “Depends sir.”

The judge snarls at her, waving a wet sheet of the list before her. “You’re so lucky we signed you up on the list for tomorrow before your sick partner spilled his stuff on our table!” He growls out, glaring at Kevin as he storms off, leaving the others judges behind upset and angered.

Genesis breaks into a giggle as she grins at Kevin who smiles back. “Did ya hear that Kevin? Hehe. We’re in!”

Kevin laughs, embracing her as they gaze at the other judges who seemed to have settled down since the appearance of the janitor wiping off the table clean.

“We gotta tell the others, they’re all waiting outside for us!” Kevin smirks, leaping off the stage as Genesis laughs getting lifted off the stage by Kevin.

Smiling, the pair race out of the room, startling Nick, Nadia, Brian, Howie and A.J. in the waiting room.

“Well?!” Nadia leaps out of the plush red sofa in anxiety.

Gulping, Genesis gazes over t Nick seriously as she drops her head, shaking it slowly.

She could hear the others beginning to gasp and start an objection when she looks up and smiles, laughing loudly as Kevin breaks the news to the group.

“We’re in! We made it!” He calls out happily: sending out frenzy cry of joy and laughter as the group gathers in a huge hug cheering and clapping, proud of their accomplishments.

A.J. beams proudly, raising his hands in the air: “Quiet people! I say now is the time to celebrate what do you say?”

The others clap and cheer as Genesis makes her over to Nick.

“Nick you should get some rest, I don’t want that ankle to get worse.” Genesis states, smiling as Nick nods.

“Yeah the guys are gonna drop me off, I already had a big dinner before coming here so it’s ok.”

“Well good. Because I’m gonna go with ya.” Genesis smiles as Nick gazes at her thrilled.

“You for real?”

Genesis giggles: “Sure, why not? We need to talk anyway.”

Nick grins, embracing her as she laughs, cupping his face to kiss him gently on the lips. Nick smirks, winking at Kevin as he heads out of the club following behind the others.

After dropping off Nick and Genesis at Kevin’s cabin, the rest of the group decided to head off to small restaurant and all promised to bring back some amazing dishes for the couple.

Genesis smiles, gazing out of the living room window from Kevin’s place as she turns to see Nick gaze at her curiously from the sofa. “What?”

“You said we were gonna talk or something right?” Nick grins, his eyes grew open in anxiety.

“Yeah.” She whispers out, slowly inching towards the sofa and plops herself down besides him.

“About what?” Nick leans back in the sofa, holding a cushion in his hands.

“About what I’m feeling for you. You told me you were falling in love and had asked if I believed in that. My response was quick, brushing it off saying no cause to me love doesn’t work that way you know? But the more I thought I about it, the more I began to realize that everything you were telling me about how you felt, I was starting to feel that way as well. Nick...” She whispers, crawling towards as she settles on his lap. “I want you so much it hurts. The thought that you have to leave after the performance tomorrow is killing me. I didn’t want to see it cause I didn’t want to put you in a position where what is gonna happen with us. But we have to face it now, ‘cause once tomorrow passes, I might not ever see you again. And I can’t have that.”

Nick smiles, his breathing begins to get heavy as he sits up: “Genesis you changed me. I’m not into the whole romance type stuff but hell for you I do anything to be close to you. Genesis I…I…” He takes a deep breath, licking his lips as he gazes at her: “I love you.”

Genesis gulps, shivering gently as she let the words sink in. Cupping his face with her palms, she smiles and sniffs, nodding her head softly laughing through the tears that broke down her cheeks. “I…I…I love you too.” She cries out happily, never feeling such a strong attraction to any man ever in her entire life. She shivers as he pulls her closer to him as he smiles, kissing her intensely as she runs a hand down his chest.

“Make love to me Nick.” She whispers out in bated breath as he smiles softly, nodding and obeying her wishes. They slowly makes their way to the shared bedroom, closing the door behind them as they wrapped each other up in their arms and expressed their new found love for one another on that cool summer night.

Genesis gasps out in pleasure as he gazes at her above her, his metal dog chain necklace touched her bare chest sending a soft chill down her spine as she licks her lips finding hers with his in an instant. She wraps her arms around his bare back as she gazes at him loving the way he was making her feel at the moment. She sighs out happily knowing at once right there she found what she was missing in her life.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**