- Text Size +
“One Last Dance”

**~Something New~**

He slowly drives down the narrow pathway, the soft humming music of the car radio filters the quiet car. Nick glances over to see Genesis lost in thought, gazing out of the passenger side window. “That was interesting moves back there.”

Genesis smirks and turns back to gaze at him, “I have moves you’ve never seen before.”

Nick chuckles, shaking his head, “You remind me of a friend of mine when you talk like that.”

“You don’t say?” Genesis whispers, her eyes locked on the side window again, the country houses passing by them quickly.

“Yeah. So…what happened with Kevin and you?” He whispers out softly.

“Why do you care?” Genesis mutters out annoyed.

“Cause I want to know what’s bothering my friend, that’s why.”

“Why don’t you just ask him yourself?” Genesis grumbles out, pulling on a moist dark brown tendril that caresses her butter pecan cheeks.

“I tried, but he’s been quiet about it himself. I figured you tell me.” Nick asks worriedly, fearing he had made her uncomfortable with the nuisance questions.

Genesis remains quiet, reaching over to the car radio to turn up the volume. The crisp clear words of Donna Summer’s “Last Dance” rang out in the car. Smiling, Genesis leans back in the seat. “I like this song. In fact, this is the song I’m gonna use for the competition Nick.”

Nick nibbles on his lower lip, his eyes trail back and forth to the woman and the road in front of him. “Oh ok.” He mutters, knowing she didn’t want to discuss what was bothering her or what could have bothered his friend Kevin. Knowing she changed the subject on him, he already knew what was going on had to be bigger than he thought. ‘I gotta talk to Kev when I get home.’ He thinks to himself as he turns onto another dusty road leading them down towards a more suburban part of the town.

Genesis sways gently to the song, mouthing and singing along with the words: “Last dance. Last dance for love. Yeah it’s my last chance for romance tonight.”

Nick smirks, slowing pulling up to a small quaint country house. “We’re here.”

Genesis playfully sways her head side and side, smirking. “Ahhh man. We’re here already. Aight.” She grins, her hand switches off the song and opens the car door, sliding out of the car.

Nick smirks and joins her, helping her carry her small carry on radio along with her backpack up the front porch steps. The wooden steps groan with the added weight as Genesis wiggles her hips ascending up the four steps and unlocking her front door.

Nick quietly places her backpack on the stoop, sighing and ready to say bye to her. As he was pulling away from her porch, he feels a soft touch on the back his neck. Jumping, he turns back around and smirks. “Hey you. You missing something?”

“Nope. Just thought it was rude of ya walking away without saying bye to me.” Genesis smirks, her bright eyes glimmer in the growing evening sunset.

Nick nods, “Ok, well I’ll see ya tomorrow then right?”

Genesis frowns, shaking her head, “Uhhh depends, tommorrow I might not be in town. I’ll let ya know. But most def the next day, Friday.”

“Ohhh, busy then tommorrow?”

“Somewhat. Anyways, practice boy cause just in case you don’t see me tomorrow. And hold up.” Genesis whispers, digging through her navy blue gym bag to pull out a blank CD. “You might wanna practice the moves with this song. This is the song we’ll be performing to in two weeks.” She hands the CD case over to Nick who eyes it curiously.

“It’s the same song we just heard on the radio that I was singing too. Anyways, you already know the basic moves, just go through the more complicated moves slowly to the beat and remember the counts, cause the song and the beats go hand in hand when it comes to dancing.” She smirks, ruffling his black spikes.

“Hey whoaaa!! Watch it. Not the hair girl.” Nick laughs, giving her a friendly embrace. “So I gotta head back, I’ll see ya soon then.”

Genesis giggles. “Alright.”

“By the way, why does your friend Nadia call you Angel?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Genesis giggles.

“So what’s the thing Angel? Why the name?” Nick whispers seductively.

“Angel just plain out cause I can sail like an angel when dancing.” Genesis giggles, watching the tall man before her.
“Uh ok. So the mystery’s over then. Now I know why you’re an angel.”

“Just about. But there’s far more to me than just that.” Genesis whispers, easing her way back up to the porch steps.

Nick smirks: his thoughts swirling around, ‘Maybe I can I find out.’ He straightens up and opens the car door, ready to slide into the driver’s seat. “So Angel, I’ll talk to ya later then.”

Genesis smirks, “Alright Luckie. Drive safe and don’t forget to practice the moves. I expect you to know the moves when I see you again. Please use the CD, don’t just look at it alright.”

Nick laughs, “Will do. Take care. Bye.” He waves at her, as she slowly waves bye, watching the black Ford Focus pull away from her dirt road.
~*~

Howie washes his hands at the dingy sink outside of the pool house as he hears the others cleaning up. It was already night and the sky had blacken immensely.

“D, you ready yet?” He hears A.J. calling out from behind him.

“Yeah, let’s go man.” Howie whispers, wiping his hands on his jeans.

Kevin yawns and opens the green SUV with Brian already seated in it. Smirking, he laughs and gets into the driver’s seat, “Where are the others?”

Brian shrugs his shoulders, “I think A.J. was talking to the red haired girl last I checked.”

Kevin chuckles and boards the vehicle, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. “Well call them over, we gotta head home.”

A.J. strolls over to the poolside, helping the red haired woman pack away her belongings in a tote bag. “So what did you say your name was?”

The red haired woman breaks into a laugh, her light copper skin glisten gently in the early moon light. “Suzanna.”

“Ahhh, aight. Suzy, I’m A.J. short for Alex.” A.J. whispers smoothly, placing a towel on her wet shoulders.

She laughs and waves bye, running past him to meet her awaiting friends. “Hey Alex, A.J. make sure you keep my number. It was nice meeting you.” She yells out, blowing a kiss at his direction.

A.J. nods, grinning silly as Howie clears his throat. “Don’t say a word D.”

“Hey I wasn’t going to. But now that I’ve seen the girl, I was curious what’s up with you and yellow.”

A.J. chuckles heading back to the SUV where Brian and Kevin were quietly waiting for them. “She has a name D, its Suzanna or as I like to say Suzy.”

“Well that was fast. Think she’s into ya man?”

“D, how can she not be?” A.J. grins widely, his dark eyes twinkling with mischievous. “And look at you mister suave. I saw you chatting it up with miss blondie in a red printed bikini.”

“She looked like she wanted company.” Howie shrugs his shoulders innocently.

A.J. breaks into a laughter, “Oh yeah, she really wanted your company alright.”

“Well she did and she loved it. Besides giving me her number, she was a doll and we’re heading out on a date…”

“Whoa dude date? Did you just say date?” A.J. teases, poking his Latin friend in the ribs.

Howie laughs, “Yes, I do date Alex.”

“Wow, that was fast. What’s her name?”

“Angela or Ana for short.” Howie grins, reaching the vehicle, hopping into it.

A.J. smirks, sliding into the car behind his friend as they all board and pull away from Quincy’s home.
~*~

She withholds another yawn as she steps out of her bathroom, heading towards her bed. Sighing in relief, she falls on her back, allowing the sweet cushions of the soft bed embrace around her. Just as she was about to close her eyes, she hears a gentle giggle emerge from her friend Nadia who was leaning over her like a curious child.

Grumbling, Genesis sits up on the bed, placing a pillow over her mouth. In a muffled voice, she mutters out: “Go away!”

Laughter erupts shortly after, causing Genesis to stare in the dark room to find her friend perched on the edge of her bed with wide open eyes. “What do you want?”

A smile crawls over her copper skin friend’s face, “You know what I want. Give me the scoop Angel!”

Smirking, Genesis rolls her eyes and turns on the lamp besides her bedside. The soft dull yellow light, emblazoned the two women faces. “Nothing happened. I just showed him the basic moves.”

“HA! Stop playing around. Did you kiss him?” Nadia grins widely, sliding onto the bed.

Now Genesis breaks into a gentle laugh, shaking her head. “I can’t hang out with a man without you thinking I’m hitting on him?”

“Please, he’s not any man. He’s fine for a white boy that is. Plus, he got those blue eyes you can melt in and that black hair of his just brings out the essence of his gorgeous eyes, face, a…”

Genesis intercepts with a laughter, nodding her head. “Ok, ok! God. Man the guy is…he’s damn, you had to see him with his shirt off.” She blushes hearing a gasp from her friend.

“Damn girl, don’t tell me you got laid? Cause that would explain your bubbly attitude.” Nadia jokes around, receiving a harsh look from her friend.

“Come on, you know it’s not like that. Besides I don’t really know him.”

“But you wanna know him more, don’t ya?” Nadia whispers, her black curls topple lusciously out of her handmade bun.

“I don’t know. Maybe. Who knows? He’s a cool guy.”

Nadia grins widen, “So what was his response when you showed him some of the moves.”

Genesis laughs, “I’m not speaking.”

Nadia gasps and pouts, “Genesis Evalyse Martinez if you don’t tell me what happened, I won’t make my special grand winning prize pancakes in the morning.”

Genesis’s mouth drops open gasping in teasing matter, “You wouldn’t?”

“Try me.”

“Dammit. I hate you.”

“The feelings mutual sweetie.” Nadia giggles, lying on her side, facing her friend on the bed.

“Alright, well like any guy he freaked when I told him what we would be dancing. It took him awhile to get some of the basic stuff down but it was fun. Plus, he’s a big boy if you know what I’m talking about.” She blushes, feeling silly discussing this to her friend.

“Ohhhh, I don’t. Tell me why don’t ya?” Nadia playfully jokes around.

“You know what I’m talking about.” Genesis bursts into laughter.

“Hmmm… big feet means big…”

Genesis cuts in, interrupting her friend. “Ok, this conversation ends now.” She states laughing as Nadia rolls off the bed and heads over to her own bed across the room.

“You so cheesy. Never wanna give the details. I share everything about Joey to you.”

“Even though I don’t wanna know.” Genesis smirks, turning off the lamp and tucking herself beneath the cool sheets on her bed.

“Shut up. No pancakes for you if you keep it up.” Nadia giggles.

“I can always go to Nick and get some.”

Nadia laughs and tucks herself beneath her sheets. “I’m sure you’ll be getting more than that from him.”

“Shut up.” Genesis giggles.

“You suck.” Nadia mumbles, burying herself under the cool sheets.

“He asked me about Kevin.” Genesis whispers out suddenly.

This caught Nadia’s attention and she sits up slowly, “What happened? Does he know about you two?”

“I, I’m not sure. I didn’t want to talk to him about it. But I wouldn’t be surprised. Nadia, what if he knows about what happens. He probably wouldn’t be my partner anymore.” Genesis whispers out nervously.

“Don’t think about that. If he really wants to help you out, he’ll stand by you for the whole audition thing.” Nadia whispers comforting: gazing at her friend’s silhouette across from her.
“Maybe. Well night Dee.” Genesis whispers, closing her eyes as she pulls on the covers over her head.

“Night Angel.” Nadia whispers out gently, sliding beneath the covers, her friend’s concerns swirling in her own head.
~*~

Nick pulls up to the cabin, parking his car on the gravel driveway. Sighing, he traces his fingers over the steering wheel, a smile breaking into his face as he thinks about Genesis. ‘She’s a sweet girl.’ He thinks to himself as he takes out his keys and exits the car, heading to the cabin’s front door unlocking it. He enters the cabin, passing by the den where his three friends were passed out and quietly heads over to the bathroom, quickly taking a quick shower.

Kevin enters the cabin from the back porch, yawning as the other three of his friends were passed out on the sofas in the den. Smirking, he walks over to his bed and hears the shower on, noting it had to be Nick that arrived home.

“Alex. Alex.” Kevin calls out to a sleeping A.J. stretched out on the sofa in a deep sleep. Getting irritated, Kevin smiles and picks up a ball of A.J.’s dirty socks near by his bed, tossing it at A.J.’s head.

The ball of sock bounces on his friend’s head, alarming A.J. as he struggles to sit up on the sofa.

Kevin laughs, watching his friend cast a dirty glance at him, “What the hell man?”

“You have a bed, go to it. The sofa is for lounging, not sleeping.” Kevin smirks, taking off his sneakers as he lied on his bed.

“This is like camp guys, when I used to share a room with a bunch of other guys.” A.J. mumbles, heading to his bed tiredly in a bedroom, plopping down on it.

Brian mumbles out something incoherent and awakens, eying Kevin. “What?”

“You, bed.” Kevin points to Brian’s bed.

“But I’m comfortable here.” Brian mutters, stretching out on another sofa.

“Don’t make me yank you to bed like I did when you used stay over at my place when we were kids.” Kevin chuckles hearing Brian gasps.

“You wouldn’t dare! I had nightmares thinking you were gonna leave me in the backyard for Freddy or Jason to come.” Brian playfully shivers getting a laugh from Howie who was aroused from his sleep with their talking.

“Just get to sleep. I’m turning off the lights.” Kevin smirks, walking over to the light switch.

“Alright, alright.” Howie mutters, stumbling to his bedroom which he shared with A.J. as Brian reaches his own bedroom and sleeps on his bed.

“By the way Kev, it’s unfair you have your own separate bedroom.” Howie mutters, running his tan caramel fingers through his dark hair.

“Hey, at least you have a place to sleep. Now good night.” Kevin chuckles, hearing Brian and Howie grumble. Once the bedroom doors where closed, Kevin was about to turn off the light in the den when the bathroom door opens.

He watches Nick step out and smiles. “Hey buddy!”

“Hey.” Nick whispers, gazing at the wooden boards below him.

“So, uhhh, how was it?”

“Oh, the dancing thing?”

“Yeah.”

Nick clears his throat, “It was cool. I learned some steps.”

“Oh ok.”

“Kev, can we talk?”

Kevin smiles and nods, “Nick, that’s what we’re doing right now.”

Nick rolls his eyes, “No, I mean can you tell me what happened with Genesis? What do you know about her?”

Kevin gulps, tugging on his t-shirt. “It’s too late. Let’s get some sleep. I’ll tell ya in the morning.”

“Why can’t you tell me now?”

“Nick, please, I know you feel tired. I know I do, so don’t worry and just rest up alright buddy. Night Nick.” Kevin whispers: turning off the light in the den and heads to his bedroom, closing the door behind him.

“Night.” Nick whispers back, alone in the dark den as he heads to bedroom he shared with Brian.
~**~
**~To Be Continued…~**