- Text Size +
“One Last Dance”

**~No Easy Five Moves~**

A.J. shuffles over to the kitchen, watching the yolk bubble lightly in the frying pan. He sniffs and smiles, plopping down on a chair next to the kitchen table. “Mmmm…smelling nice indeed D.”

Howie looks up from the pan, smirking, “Thanks. Hey, morning Alex.”

“Yo whaddup?” A.J. yawns out: stretching his arms out overhead. “So you up early, can I ask why?”

Howie chuckles, rolling his eyes: “You know why. I have my little date in a few hours and I was getting restless just lying in bed.”

A.J. couldn’t resist and quickly teases his friend, “Oh, well yeah cause you wanna save your energy for later when you and her share the same bed.”

Howie breaks into a laughter, shaking his head, “Dude, please it’s not like that. I’m not planning on sleeping with her…” He gazes at the bubbling eggs as his toast pops out.

“Yet.” A.J. finishes up with a wide grin on his tan face.

Shaking his head, Howie grabs a glass cup and fills it up with orange juice. “I ain’t gonna sleep with her! Alex, I don’t know the girl like that for me to get laid.”

A.J. rolls his eyes, “Like you haven’t thought of it.” He chuckles, crossing his arms on his red tank top covered chest.

“Shut up!” Howie chuckles, setting two clear glass plates for him and A.J. on the table, tossing his cream covered toast and bringing the egg omelet on his plate. Howie slips into his seat as A.J. glances at his own empty plate and then back at Howie.

“Ummm…I think you forgot mines.” A.J. whispers out with a feeble grin on his lips.

Howie smirks, indicting to the fridge, “You’re a grown man, you can cook for yourself. I ain’t serving ya, ‘cause I sure ain’t your momma.”

A.J. narrows his eyes, getting up from the chair and heading over to the fridge. “D, you wrong man. You see a starving brother here and you leave him with nothing to eat. That’s just wrong man.” He smirks, opening the fridge, gathering some ingredients for his sandwich, pulling out the bacon from the freezer.

Howie chuckles, enjoying his meal as Kevin walks into the kitchen. “Well morning Kev.”

“Hey guys.” Kevin groggily answers, rubbing his weary eyes.

A.J. turns from the counter filled with various ingredients and grins, “Well hey Kevy boy! Morning, how was the sleep man?”

Kevin smirks, drumming his fingers on the table, “Good, I slept nice. Nick came in last night after you fell asleep on me.”

“Ohhhhhh!!! What happened? Maybe Brian knows if Nick got some nookie!” A.J. teases out as Howie chuckles.

“Calm down Alex.” Kevin chuckles: crossing over to a cabinet to pull out a box of cereal. He pauses and turns to see Howie and A.J. staring at him with curiosity in their eyes.

“You guys are worse than teenage girls.” Kevin smiles gently, pouring a bowl of corn flakes into a glass bowl.

“Dude, tell us! Did he say anything?” A.J. whispers out, filling his plate up with a jelly bagel, dumping some frozen bacon onto a frying pan.

Kevin smirks, “He didn’t mention much of it. Just said he learned a few moves and he’s gonna be rehearsing some of it.”

“That’s it?” A.J. grumbles out in disappointment.

“Yup, in fact, why don’t you ask him yourself if you want to know more?” Kevin smirks, raising his eyebrows at him.

“Ahhh, I guess. But it’s always fun hearing it from another person.” A.J. mumbles, filling up his plate with his sandwich, bagel, staring at the bubbling bacon now being cooked.

Kevin chuckles: grabbing his bowl and heading out to the back patio to relax in a cushioned chair. Howie and A.J. watch their friend leave the room and glance back at each other with a smirk on their faces.

“Ohhhhh, something going down. Where’s blondie at? I can’t take this suspense anymore.” A.J. grins, rubbing his hands together manically.

Howie laughs, running a free hand through his dark brown curls, “You need to join Kevin in the back, Nick is still sleeping and if you wake that kid up, he ain’t gonna tell you jack.”

“Ha! Well we’ll see about that now won’t we?” A.J. grins, placing his full plate on the kitchen table and hurrying out of the kitchen to Nick and Brian’s room.
~*~

He opens his eyes as the loud hammering coming from the door alerts his senses. “Go Away!” Nick grumbles, annoyed and beginning to feel slightly aggravated.

He could hear a quiet chuckle coming from his room mate Brian on the other bed. Nick sighs and tiredly turns to see Brian grinning from ear to ear, sitting on his own bed across from him. “What?” He mumbles out, his right cheek pressing on the large pillow almost as if the pillow will swallow him whole.

“Don’t what me. You got a story, so spill.” Brian smirks, crossing his legs on the made bed, staring at him innocently.

Nick grumbles, closing his eyes as he tugs on his cool white starch blanket. “Just leave me alone dude. It wasn’t such a big deal. Really it wasn’t.”

“That ain’t details. You’re holding back.” Brian grins, getting off his bed as he tugs on his own blue jean shorts, putting on a light blue tank top. He smirks at the pounding door. “And that must be A.J.”

“Oh dude no! Come on, don’t answer it. Let him knock.” Nick mumbles, yawning deeply, rolling on his back.

Brian chuckles and answers the bedroom door, allowing A.J. entrance into their shared room.

“Ahhh yess! I have come! I’m here!” A.J. belts out, grinning manically from cheek to cheek.

Brian smirks, patting A.J. on the shoulder as he heads out of the room, “Hey good luck. He’s not talking.”

“Ha, well you don’t have the skills.” A.J. chuckles and plops down on Brian’s bed, staring at Nick. “Spill the beans boy. What the dilly man with you and miss exotic dancer?”

Nick smirks, “A gentleman never tells.”

“Riiiiight. Dude that would work if you were a gentleman: but you have the background of a male whore.”

“Yeah, I resent that!” Nick laughs, sitting up in his bed, getting out and reaching for a green t-shirt.

“Well hey man, that’s the truth.” A.J. chuckles: watching Nick digging through his own cargo pants pockets lying on the bedside.

“Ah man, I forgot to give this to her.” Nick mumbles, pulling out a golden bracelet, glowing in the sunny morning.

“Oh where you get that?”

“It’s Genesis’s, she dropped it a few days ago and I was suppose to give it back to her.” Nick states, tucking the bracelet into his jean shorts pocket. “Maybe I’ll stop by and drop it off at her place.”

“Ohhhhhhhh. You gonna go see her? Sweet! I knew something was going on between the two of you!” A.J. responds with a grin sprawled on his lips.

“No J, man. Nothing is happening between the two of us. We’re just dancing partners and that’s all.”

A.J. chuckles: heading to the bedroom door, “Yeah, ok. Man, call it whatever you want. Hey whatever makes ya feel good.” And with that, he opens the door, exiting the room.

Nick rolls his eyes, following behind him.
~*~

Kevin sighs peacefully in the back porch, enjoying the early morning sunlight, flourishing the back yard with its gentle orange sun light. Placing his empty cereal bowl on the wooden planks below him, he settles back in the lounge chair, throwing his legs up on the footrest. He smiles gently as the morning summer breeze filters through the atmosphere.

“Nice morning huh?” Nick states quietly, entering the porch to join him.

“Sure is man. Glad to see you’re up.” Kevin smiles softly as Nick wipes his own mouth with a napkin, taking a sip of his plastic cup.

“Yeah, Brian was being a pain. Kev I can’t wait to get back my own room in Florida. I miss it, it was all mine. I didn’t have to share it with anyone.” He laughs, sitting next to Kevin in a plastic chair.

“Yeah, well I’m glad I manage to get you and the other guys to get away. I would have had an apartment in New York if I wasn’t doing the whole club thing. But hey you never know. I’m considering doing something for Broadway.”

“You and Broadway? Dude, seriously! That would be cool.”

“Sure would be.” Kevin yawns softly, feeling Nick staring at him. “What?”

“You said you would tell me this morning about Genesis.” Nick states, adjusting in his seat.

“Damn, you remember that? Fine, fine. It was something from the past. We used to date so I know what kind of girl she is.”

Nick stops mid-way in his drink, swallowing roughly the cold liquid down his throat. Croaking out, he shakes his head, “Dude, you guys used to date? Damn, I thought the age difference would be a problem for you.”

Kevin smiles gently, looking at his friend, “Nick, she’s not that young. How old do you think she is?”

Shrugging his shoulders, Nick leans back in his seat, “I don’t know, 18, 19?”

“Close, but no, she’s 23. And when we dated, she was 21. Meaning that she was legal and knew what she was doing.” Kevin states, his emerald eyes gazing at the blue heavens.

“Ah ok, but what was the problem with you guys?”

Kevin sighs and goes into the retelling of the story while Nick listens pensively. By the time Kevin explains the whole dating dilemma to him, Nick was left in shock, letting out a long whistle.

“Damn. Wow. Dude, I had no idea.”

“Hey that’s alright. Anyways, you’re a grown man, if you want to pursue her, I won’t stand in the way. I’m not jealous, I guess I’m just left with no answers from her behalf.”

Nick nods, soaking in the early sun, his thoughts flooding in his mind. “Well there has to be a reason why she did, what she did. Kevin, did you know that she has dreams and aspirations to open a place for those of disabilities and…”

“And she wants to help those out by providing dancing and educational things to them. Nick I know.” Kevin intercepts him, chewing on his lower lip gently.

“Right. Well, she’s a sweet girl, that’s all. Kevin even if I was planning on going after her, I don’t think I would feel ok knowing you had a thing with her.”

Kevin breaks into a sudden laugh, shaking his head, “Nick, I don’t want to hold you back. You just do what your heart tells you. And you’re right: she’s a great girl with dreams and goals. Besides what happened with me was the past, I don’t hold grudges and I never will with you. So don’t stress it ok.”

Nick nods, “Aight. Well I’m gonna go and get some more grub. Want anything?”

“No, thanks. I’m fine.” Kevin yawns out, stretching out as he gazes at Nick who disappears back into the house. “I just hope he doesn’t get hurt in her game of love.” He whispers softly to himself.
~*~

Nick pulls out the CD and smirks, putting it in his cd player. “Let’s see how this sounds.” Pushing play, the music fills the living room as it booms out of the speakers A.J. decided to hook up in the cabin.

The music pounds out, the lyrics pulsating out:

‘Last dance
Last dance for love
Yes, it's my last chance
For romance tonight
I need you by me
Beside me, to guide me
To hold me, to scold me
'Cause when I'm bad
I'm so, so bad.’

Brian and Howie enter the room, covering their ears at the loud pounding music that filled the room. Brian tries to speak over the music but failed as Nick seemed to be busy to notice their presence. Nick stands up and begins to practice the steps swiftly and smoothly, every now and then losing count.

Both men watch impressed at Nick’s skills in the dancing, quietly watching their friend twirl and slide across the floor with ease. When the music ends, Nick inhales to catch his breath and finally turns to see that he had an audience.

Howie breaks the sudden silence with his clapping, followed by Brian, who were both amazed at their friend’s quick ability.

“Wow! She does miracles indeed!” Brian grins.

“You learned to do all that in one day?” Howie quips up, his eyes wide at the sudden dancing ability his friend had.

Nick nods, “Yeah, what you think I couldn’t pick up?”

“Dude, just never thought, you could dance nice like that.” Brian states in awe as Howie grins.

“Mind Brian, we’re impressed. Very impressed.”

Nick straightens up, smiling, “Thanks. Dude you should see the moves she does with me.”

Howie chuckles, “That’s right, you know where the place is gonna at and what time?”

Nick nods, “Yeah, I heard it was gonna be at ‘Mikey’s Fire Hall’ at around 7:30 in the evening. Genesis told me the place was gonna be packed and only those invited to the tons of performances are allowed to come.”

“Oh ok, well I’ll make sure I put that down in my planner. I wanna see ya do your thing at the performance.” Howie smiles, plopping onto a sofa.

“Thanks.”

“Nicky you nervous?” Brian asks, taking a seat across from Howie.

“What do you think?” Nick smirks, taking out the CD from his player to clean it.

“I think you’ll be fine. I mean if you got those moves in just a matter of a day. Imagine what you’ll learn by the end of next week and performance night.” Howie states proudly, encouraging his friend.

Nick smirks, clipping his cd player into a belt loop of his jean shorts. “Well guys I gotta head out, try to practice some other moves. I’ll see ya later.” And he jogs to the front door, waving off his friends and exiting.

“Lucky kid.” A.J. states, stepping into the room.

Howie chuckles, “And you say this because?”

“Dude, Gen is hott! And he gets a chance to have her sprawl out on him as they dance. Talk about legal sex without all the mess.” A.J. grins, getting a few groans from the others.

“Hey why don’t you say that to Suzy and see if she likes it?” Howie teases.

“I know she will, she’s a freaky type of girl, if you know what I mean.” A.J. raises his eyebrows to indict his point as he whistles to get something from his room.

“Speaking of late. D, don’t you have to meet that Ana girl?” Brian ponders.

Howie gasps and checks his watch, “Damn! That’s right, man lucky you mentioned it, I would have gotten there late.”

“No prob, where you taking her?” Brian asks, getting up from the sofa.

Howie races to the front door and tucks his wallet into his dark blue jeans, “Gonna see a horror movie, the theater. She loves scary stuff, all the blood and gore you can think of.”

Brian makes a disgusted expression, chuckling, “Seems like your type of girl. At least she can protect ya if you get scared.”

“Shut up man.” Howie smirks, exiting the cabin, “I’ll talk to ya later.” And they they say their goodbyes.
~*~

Nick walks over to the elongated wooden bridge that stretches out over a mile over the rushing river. Glancing down, he takes a deep breath, staring at the crystal water below him. Placing the headphones on his ears, he starts the song, shuffling on the bridge the dance steps. He got across it, proudly nailing all the moves he was shown. He heads back to the sturdy bridge, dancing the moves and throwing his arms in the air, “I got it! I got the moves!” Nick yells out to the lowly forest as he gets off the bridge and makes his way back to the cabin.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**