- Text Size +
Chapter 14

Nick dropped onto the bed that Maria had told him would be his. He looked around the room and realized that he didn't have any extra clothes. He was going to have to ask one of the guys to bring him something. Nick stood from the bed and walked into the hallway and to where Maria showed him where the phone was. He sighed and lifted the phone and dialed Brians cell phone number, he wasn't sure if he had stayed at his house or not. Or if anyone stayed for that matter.

"Hello?" Brian answered.

"Brian, it's Nick," Nick said.

"Nick, don't tell me you want to leave already," Brian said a little bit nervious.

"No it's not like that man. I just was calling to see if you could drop off some clothes for me. From the looks of it, I'm gonna be here for a while and I'm going to have the be able to change into something."

"Oh alright. I'm still at your house man. I'll get somethings ready for you and drop it off alright?" he answered.

"Yeah that's good, c-ya later Bri," he said and hung up.

"Are you Nick?" someone asked and Nick turned around.

"Yeah, why?" he asked.

"I'm Mark, we're sharing a room. I don't know if Maria told you about me, but she did tell me that I was rooming with a Nick and you're the only one here I haven't seen before," he explained.

"Oh," Nick answered, "hi."

"So, what's your story?" Mark asked as they started to walk back to the room. Nick looked over at him but didn't say anything.
"I don't know if I want to talk about it," he answered.

"That's not a choice around here buddy," Mark explained, "if you tell the doctors that, you're going to get used to we can't help if you don't talk to us real fast man. Trust me, once they think you're going to be a problem, they are going to be all over your ass."

"Look, I'm not to proud about what I did out there," Nick answered as they walked back into the room.

"Do you think that all of us here are? I mean we are here because we know we fucked up. Everyone in here did stupid shit. That's why were here in the first place. Some because it was ordered by a judge, some because they wanted to change and others because they were forced."

"How'd you get here?"

"That goes back a while. Well, when I was in high school I got invited to this party, so I went. I mean come on, it was going to be great. Just I didn't know what went on. Someone put some shit in the drinks, most had alcohol in them, the rest had drugs in them. I ended up getting a little bit of both. Then I just got addicted to it and it got pretty bad until finally, my older brother made me come here. I've been here about two months now. It's been hard because there are those times that you just want to get another fix because it made you feel better but you know you can't have it. It gets rough. So what happened with you?"

"A really good friend of mine had a bad drinking problem and that kinda got to me. This guy looked out for me, I don't have any older brothers cause I'm the older brother. It got bad for him and he had to go to rehab, I didn't know what to do with myself so I ended up going the same way he did. Except, I used a lot of drugs and stuff. I came home stoned all the time and my girlfriend started to catch on, though I didn't see it at the time. Then one night, I came home, so out of it, that I just attacked her. I ended up raping her. After that I locked her in the bathroom and when I woke up that morning I didn't remember anything. Then she told me that she was leaving. I couldn't get her to stay and then when she left, I went and I popped some pills and the next thing I remember a few of my friends were there calling an ambulance," Nick told.

"What happened with your girlfriend? Did she press charges? That's what got you here right?"

"No she didn't," Nick answered, "What happened was when I was at the hospital, my doctor told my friends that someone should be looking after me. Things were getting bad again cause once I talked one of my other friends into going to a store near my house where I met up with a guy that gave me more pills. I started taking them again and they caught on. The next thing I remember after waking up is one of my friends telling to me to get dressed and come down stairs, that was just this morning, and then they brought up that they had checked me in here. I didn't want to go. There was a fight and I went into the kitchen. I tried to kill myself, but they talked me out of it, and then they drove me here."

"Woah, so you're still getting over your high huh?"

"Yeah," Nick answered letting his head fall back onto the pillow.

"You'll be alright man," Mark said, "if I got over it, you will. It's gonna be tough, but you'll get through it man."

"I hope. I want to prove to Kerry that I can change," Nick said.

"Kerry your girlfriend?"

"Ex," he answered, "she hates me I'm sure. She was at my house this morning when they guys were talkin to me. She wanted me to come here, but I don't think she wanted to be at my house right then. She still seemed so scared of me."

"She wasn't a virgin when you...."

"No," Nick answered, not even letting Mark finish.

"Well if she wanted you to come here, she can't hate you that much."

"One of my friends called her over. She never would have known what they did otherwise. Besides, she's still scared of me I don't think that she would want to be alone with me."

"So, did you bring any extra clothes with you cause I don't see a bag, unless you can unpack really fast," Mark asked.

"No, I didn't bring any. A friend of mine is going to bring some stuff for me. That's who I was on the phone with before."

"Oh, they'll probably send him back here since he's just gonna drop something off."

"That won't bother me as long as the guy I called comes back here," Nick answered.

"Why's that?"

"Cause I don't need J coming back here starting with me."

"Who's J?"

"Oh, that's one of the guys who checked me into this place. AJ, he was in the same place I am a year ago. The guys are probably going to send him back because of that alone. That and he probably wants to so there's no stopping him."

"They won't let him stay long, they usually don't. Besides, maybe it would be good to talk to him since he knows whats in store for you."

"Yeah, I just don't need any pitty or 'I told you so's' ya know? This is bad enough as it is."

"I'm sure he knows that, but don't worry, I don't think that you're going to have any problems. Don't worry, everything's gonna be okay. The people here are alright. So, I think you're kinda gonna like it."

"I just want to get better."

"Yeah, I know what you're sayin."