- Text Size +
Chapter 16

When Nick opened his eyes, he looked over his new surroundings. Soon he realized that he wasn't at the hospital nor was he at his room in the clinic. Nicks breath began to speed up as he walked around to check out his new surroundings. Fear was beginning to take over Nick completely. He didn't know where he was or how he had arrived there, all he knew was that he wanted to leave. Nick looked at the door on the other end of the room and started to walk towards it. Once he was outside, he would be able to find out exactly where he was.

Before Nick could reach the door, it flew open and he stepped back, not sure of whatelse to do. His tense body relaxed when he saw that it was just AJ and Brian. He sighed and his breathing quickly went back to its normal pace. He looked over the two of them, but neither said anything. They couldn't be mad at him could they? What could he have done? The last thing he remebered was passing out at the clinic.

"Guys what happened? How did I get here? Shouldn't I be back at the clinic? I mean I know you guys want to help and all but like you said before, those people are professionals," Nick questioned, hoping for answers.

"You know they did all they could AJ," Brian said breaking the silence, but not answering any of Nicks questions.

"I know but, he looked up to me you know and I kinda started all of this," AJ replied, "I feel kind of responsible."

"You're not. No one is really, this is what was meant to be," Brian explained.

"Meant to be? What are you talking about Brian?" Nick asked confussed.

"But we got him to the clinic, I mean he should have been alright," AJ replied. Nick looked over at him and ran his fingers through his hair. What the hell were they talking about? This had to be some kind of joke, he was standing right there, right in front of them.

"Okay guys, this was a funny joke," Nick said, hoping that they would talk to him, "but it's getting old kinda fast alright so please just drop it."

"I think by the time we were able to talk him into going it was too late," Brian replied, "I mean the guy who was rooming with him said that it just happened suddenly. He called a doctor right away, but there wasn't anything that they could do to help him."

"There had to have been something," AJ said to Brian, "I mean they basically just let him die."

"AJ they did not let him die," Brian told him, "they did everything they could. Nick just had too much drugs in his system. There wasn't anything they could do."

"I can't believe that we lost him though," AJ confessed.

"I can't either man," Brian replied.

"Guys, I'm right here," Nick said starting to become really scared, "I'm alright. Nothing happened to me, I'm just fine."

"Bri, AJ," Kevin said as he stepped into the room that they were in, "I called his parents. They're getting on the first flight out here."

"How'd they take it?" AJ asked.

"How do you think they took it?" Kevin replied, "they were devistated. They were in complete shock. They couldn't believe it either."

"I just can't believe this," AJ said to Kevin.

"None of us can. It's hard to take in. We all feel that right now," Kevin explained to AJ softly.

"Maybe if I hadn't done it then maybe Nick wouldn't have and he'd be alive right now," AJ thought out loud.

"I'm dead?" Nick said under his breath, "I can't be."

"Don't think like that AJ. Nick did this on his own. We tried to get him to stop, but it was just too late when we actually did," Brian replied.

"He's right you know. We did the best that we could to help him, so don't blame yourself AJ," Kevin added.

"I can't help but feel guilty. Like I kinda pushed him into doing this. Ya know, he saw what I did and I guess he figured that it would be alright because I was doing it. I should have been more careful," AJ protested.

"What's done is done. You can't change what you did and we can't change what Nick did. We just have to deal with what happened," Kevin said knowingly.

"What do I say?" AJ said shaking his head, "there is just so much wrong with everything right now. It's like the whole world has been thrown outta wack. What the fuck am I supposed to do now?"

"I don't know, but don't worry AJ, cause you're not alone," Brian answered, "we all feel the sameway. We're here for ya man." Nick looked over towards the door when he heard a knock. He watched as Brian went to get it.

"Kerry," he said when he opened the door. Nick walked over to the door and looked at her hurtfully. He never had the chance to prove to her that he could change.

"Hi Brian," she answered.

"I don't think any of us expected to see you," he told her. She nodded slightly and then stepped into the room.

"How are you?" AJ asked.

"Okay I guess," she replied sitting down on one of the chairs, "I don't know how to feel. Yeah, I was mad at Nick, but I didn't want him to die."

"I know, none of us did," Kevin told her.

"I still cared about him," she confessed, "I wanted him to get better. I thought maybe we could be together again."

"Really?" AJ asked confussed, "I mean I cared about the guy, but you were willing to go back to him after what he did to you, that's crazy." Nick sighed, he knew that AJ was right.

"Crazy, yeah, that's me," she joked reluctantly, "I just knew that he was a good guy when you got past all of the stupid shit that he did."

"Yeah he was," Brian replied.

"Would they stop saying 'was'," Nick said to himself because he knew that they couldn't hear him anyway.

"So do you guys know what happened?" Kerry asked, "I mean do you know why he died."

"He had too much drugs in his system," AJ replied, "that's all I could get. The doctor was saying all this shit that I really didn't understand. It didn't matter though cause I basically stopped listening after he'd said Nick died. It was like nothing else mattered at that point."

"How could he have any drugs? I mean they don't let it in the clinic do they?" Kerry asked confussed.

"He had them in his system from the night before," AJ explained, "he'd taken them again and it just slowly got to be too much for him." Nick brushed away a tear that had escaped from his eye, last night was what killed him. Lying to Howie and getting the pills from Dan. That ended it all.