- Text Size +
Chapter 19

Two weeks. It had been two weeks since Nick had been admited to the hospital. There had been no change in Nicks condition what-so-ever. Doctors had been keeping a close eye on Nick but even they were beginning to doubt that Nick would recover. Even though they wouldn't admit it, the guys knew it. After a day or so the guys started to take turns staying at the hospital to look over Nick, to wait for any changes. Also because they were all becoming extremely tired from spending all their time there. They figured it would be better if one person was with Nick so that way, someone was with him at all times, just incase something happened.

Brian started to stir from the chair that he had fallen asleep on. Even after he had gone home, he hadn't slept very much, if at all. He just kept worring about how Nick was doing. No matter what he did, he had Nick on his mind. It was sort of that big brother intution. Nick, in Brian's mind and heart, was his little brother and he worried about him. It came naturally. Finally, when Brian had opened his eyes, he looked over at Nick. He sighed and stood up from the chair and streched a little. Then he walked over to the bed where Nicks lifeless body lay.

"Morning Nick," Brian said softly, "how's it going today? You have any surprises instore for us today? We're all getting a little nervious man. I mean I know you're going to get through this, you always make it through anything. You know we're all here for you. We're doing everything that we can man, but it's getting kinda hard cause it hurts to see you like this. I know you probably haven't heard that from the other guys, but we all feel it. Don't tell AJ I told you, but he was crying when he left here earlier. Of course if you ask him about it, he'll deny it, but we both know it happened. He cares. I talked to your parents the other day. They called my house. They're worried about you too. Everyone is. Some how the press got a hold of what happened, and you know the tabloids had a field day with this. The fans have sent us a lot of letters of support though man. They are all praying for you, they want you to get better. So come on, I know you're trying hard to beat this. I know you can do it Nick, don't give up. You've beat the odds before and you'll do it again this time. I know you can. It's not your time. You have way too much to live for right now so I know God will have mercy on you because you're a good guy."

"Brian," Howie said as he walked into the room and saw Brian standing over by Nicks bed, talking to him.

"Hi," Brian replied.

"How's he doing?"

"The same. Nothing's changed at all," Brian answered.

"Give it some time. It's probably going to get worse before it gets better," Howie commented.

"No, I think we've been through the worst of it," Brian snapped, not wanting to believe that Howie was even the slightest bit right.

"Maybe, I'm not a doctor you know. I know just as much about this as you do so don't think you're the only one that's confussed."

"I know that I'm not the only one. It's just there's nothing to do. I want to help Nick," he confessed.

"We're doing what the doctor told us to, talk to him. I mean it's better than doing nothing right?"

"Yeah," Brian forced out sadly.

"It's going to be alright ya know Brian?"

"I wish I could believe that. I mean things don't look really good. I mean, shouldn't something have happened by now?"

"Brian relax. Something will happen when it's time," Howie responded.

"How are you staying so calm?" Brian asked.

"Because I know that getting mad and upset won't help anything," Howie replied, "that's not what's going to help Nick."

"Yeah well I don't know what else to do," Brian answered.

"That's alright. I really don't know whatelse to do myself. Just getting mad its just a waste of energy I think. Things will get better alright?"

"Yeah," Brian nodded, "I'm going to go home now and get some sleep. I really need it right now. Maybe it will help me clear my mind."

"Yeah you do that," Howie said nodding.

"Alright, call me if anything happens," he replied as he walked out of Nicks hospital room. Howie sighed and walked over to Nicks bed.

"I guess it's just me and you again," he started, "Brians really worried about you. I'm sure you know that though. Actually everyone's really worried about you. Even Kerry. She wants you to get better. She does care about you man. Anyway, let me tell you what's been going on. We've all been here looking over you because we want to be there when you wake up. Which we know is soon. Brian's the most upset by this, but I'm sure you heard that in his voice. AJ's been upset too. He's been real emotional which for AJ is weird. Kev's upset too. He really wants you to get better. I heard him say the other day that he feels a little responsible for this. He said he didn't see that something was wrong with you when he dropped you off at the clinic. It's not his fault, you and I know that. I've tried telling him that but he doesn't listen. He just keeps coming up with more reasons. It's scary. I mean Kev was always the strong one and now he's a reck. It makes me wonder how long it's going to take for the rest of us to break down. If Kevin's lost it then I don't know if we even stand a chance. But I do believe in you man. I know that you can get through this for us and for yourself, just stay strong."

Howie looked down at Nick for a moment longer and then walked over to the window to look out into the early morning sky. He sighed and continued to stare until he heard a soft moan coming from Nicks bed.

"Nick?" Howie asked as he walked over to Nicks bed when he heard him moan again. "Nicky, are you awake?"

"D, where am I?" he asked and Howie's eyes widend in shock. He couldn't believe that Nick was awake.

"You're at the hospital. You fell into a coma about two weeks ago."

"What?" he asked not completely understanding what Howie was telling him.

"Something happened to you at the clinic which caused you to go into a coma. Brian came to the hospital with you when it happened. We've all been spending time here hoping you would wake up."

"I don't understand," Nick replied, his voice coming out barely a whisper.

"Woah, stay with me man," Howie said, thinking that something was happening to Nick again, "let me go get a doctor." Howie ran out into the hallway, and began to look around and then he saw Nicks nurse, Mrs. Waring, "Nick woke up," he said breathlessly after running down to catch up with her.

"What?" she asked.

"Nick's awake. He was just talking to me. He was askin about what happened," Howie replied, "I'm serious."

"Let's go check him out then," she answered and then they started to walk towards Nicks room. They went in and the nurse slowly walked over to Nick. She didn't want to startle him.

"Mr. Carter?" she asked when she was standing next to his bed.

"Who are you?" he asked. She smiled and sighed.

"I'm Mrs. Waring. I'm your nurse. Mr. Dorough just came to get me when you woke up. I'm just going to look you over very quickly to make sure that you're alright. Okay?" she answered.

"Yeah, sure," he told her.

"Good." Howie took one last look at the nurse and then walked into the hallways of the hospital and immediately called Brian.

"Hello?" Brian asked, his voice filled with exaustion.

"Bri, it's Howie. Nick woke up!"

"What!?" Brian asked, his voice taking life.

"Yeah, the nurse is in there looking at him right now. You should come down here," Howie told him.

"I was going to. I'll see you in a few minutes Howie."

"Alright."

"Oh, and call the other guys alright? They should be there too," Brian commented.

"Alright can do. I'll give them a call right now. Just get your butt down here."

"On my way," Brian answered then hung up. Howie smiled softly and then dialed in AJ's number. After the phone rang several times, AJ finally answered.

"Hello?" AJ answered, mid-yawn.

"J, Nick came out of his coma," he said immediately.

"D, is that you?" AJ asked.

"Yeah, come down to the hospital. Nick's awake."

"Really??" AJ asked, "how's he doing?"

"From what I was in there for, he's great. The nurse is in there looking at him right now. I thought I would take this time to call you guys so you could get your ass over here."

"Yeah I'll be right down there. Did you call Rok yet?" AJ asked.

"He was the first one that I called. I knew that he needed to know that Nick was better the most. Ya know, it might help him feel better and get back to normal."

"Yeah, so I'll be down there in a few minutes and we can talk then."

"Okay, see ya later."

"Bye." Howie sighed and then dialed in Kevins number.

"Hey, who is it?" Kevin answered.

"Kev, it's D, come down to the hospital now. Nick's awake."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, just come down here and we'll talk then."

"Yeah, I'll be right there," Kevin replied.