- Text Size +
Chapter 20

Howie looked down the hallways as he waited for the guys to show up. The nurse hadn't come out yet and Howie wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. He just wished he knew what was going on. Howie sighed as he continued to look around the halls. Wating for someone to come there or for the nurse to come out and tell him what was going on. It was hard to just sit back and wait to know what was happening to one of your best friends. Or even to find out if he's going to be alright.

"D," AJ yelled as he came running down the hall towards where Howie was sitting, waiting. "What happened? I got here as fast as I could. I don't think my car could have gone any faster."

"I don't know yet. The nurse hasn't come out yet."

"Why don't we just go in there and ask her whats up?" AJ said.

"Let her do her job AJ. She'll come out and tell us something when she knows everything about his condition."

"I think she should have at least come out here and told you what the hell was going on."

"Chill out J. She knows what she's doing alright?"

"Yeah well I wanna know if he's okay," AJ snapped.

"So do I." AJ looked over at Howie and then took a deep breath to help him calm down.

"I know. It's just I'm sick of waiting."

"We all are," Howie replied.

"Guys," Brian yelled as he and Kevin started walking quickly towards them, "any news?"

"Uh-uh," Howie replied, "I haven't talked to the nurse yet, she hasn't come out to talk to me."

"What the hell could be taking her so long," Brian said with slight fustration in his voice. He really wanted to talk to Nick already. Why couldn't she let them in there while so worked, just so they could talk to Nick. Just to hear his voice again. They had all been through a lot and they just wanted to know that there brother was alright.

"She's probably making sure that he's alright," AJ said, "I mean drugs can leave perminate damnage. That's probably what she's looking for. To see if he needs any help for it or something, I don't know."

"Gentalman," the nurse said as she walked out of Nicks room and saw all of the guys standing outside, waiting, hoping.

"Is he alright?" Brian asked immediately.

"He's doing very well. Which is quite amazing considering the matter that caused him to go into the coma in the first place. He's awake and aware of what's going on around him. He has his complete memory with the acception of what happened back at the clinic," she answered.

"He doesn't remember what happened?" Howie asked.

"No, at least not why he's here. He remembers most of it leading up to the events that got him here."

"Doesn't actually remembering happening?" Howie asked, making sure he comprehended what the nurse was telling him.

"Exactly," she replied, "you guys can go in there and talk to him now. He's been asking for you guys since I told him about what happened."

"Thank you for everything nurse Waring," Brian said as he extended his arm to the woman before him and smiled and took his hand for his thankful handshake.

"Just doing my job Mr. Littrell, now go in there and see your friend," she said to him. He nodded and walked off towards Nicks room with the guys only a step behind him.

"Nick," Brian said egarly.

"Brian," Nick said sitting up quickly, "what the hell happened? She told me that you were there when it happened. What exactly did happen?"

"I just saw them taking you to an ambulance. You had collapsed. I freaked and went got into the ambulance with you," Brian explained, "that's really all I know about it."

"So you didn't see anything?"

"No. Why?"

"I just wanted to know what happened," he answered.

"Well kid," AJ said, "you're okay and that's all that matters alright?"

"Yeah," Howie replied, "you had us all scared to death man. I don't think any of us had a decent nights sleep since it happened. We all thought something was gonna happen to you." Nick nodded. He really wasn't sure what to say to them. They had stayed with him even when he was putting them through hell. There was nothing that he could say that would tell them how thankful he was, even though he didn't always show it.

"I don't think they're gonna keep you here much longer," Kevin said, "maybe a few days."

"Then I go back to the clinic, I know," Nick replied.

"Yeah but don't worry about that right now. Just worry about getting better so that it's possible for you to go back," AJ told him.

"How's Kerry?
"
"Dude," AJ said half shocked that he even brought her up but then again AJ knew how much Nick wanted her to forgive him, "we really haven't talked to her. She knows about what happened but like I said, we haven't really talked to her. We lost touch, but that's good because she needs to get her mind back together before she can do anything else," AJ added quickly.

"Yeah," Nick answered, "so how are you guys doing?"

"Been better," Brian replied.

"I'm sure," Nick answered, "but thanks for sticking with me. I know it had to be hard for you guys. Cause it sure as hell ain't easy for me."

"Don't worry kid, everything's going to be alright," Kevin replied, "nothing else is going to go wrong because I think we're all more prepared to handle these kinds of situations now that we've been through them. We won't let you stray again. We'll make sure that you're safe because that's the most important thing."

"But you will have your space," AJ added to Kevins statement, "we won't take that from you unless we think that you're hurting yourself again, but that won't happen again right?"

"No," Nick answered softly.