- Text Size +
Chapter 23

Nicks eyes roamed over the cell. He had called Brian to come down to the station to get him. He was still in police custody and he wanted someone there. Brian said that he was going to call Nicks lawyer before he came over and he advised Nick not to answer any questions without his lawyer there. Nick knew that was the best thing to do, but he wasn't thinking clearly enough to come up with things that would be common sence to anyone else.

Some many things were happening all at once and he couldn't keep track of them all. One minute he was at the clinic and everything was alright for the most part and now he was in jail. He had insisted that the pills that they had found were'nt his though he had a strong feeling that they didn't believe him or just didn't want to hear it.

Nick ran his shaky hands through his hair. The longer he was in the cell, the more nervous he became. He didn't know what he was going to do about all of this. What is the cops talked to Kerry and they talked her into pressing charges? He'd be sent to prision for sure. He didn't want that, he just wanted to get better. Thats the reason why he was at the clinic to being with. A lone tear rolled down his cheek as he remained seated on the bench in the cell.

He looked up when he heard the door on the other side of the hall open. Brian was standing with the officer. He ran over to Nick right away as the officer stepped out of the room. Brian looked in at Nick to see how upset this whole ordeal had caused him to be.

"Nick tell me exactly what happened," Brian started.

"I'm not really sure. Maria said that she found a bottle of pills in my bag after I went to the hospital, but they aren't mine Brian I swear," Nick said emotionally.

"I believe you Nick," Brian replied, "your lawyer is up front trying to get you out of here. It should only be a few more minutes."

"I hope so because I can't stand it in here. I didn't want it to come to this Brian. You have to believe me. I never wanted to end up here, I tried to get better. I really tried Brian, I did."

"I know you did Nick. You don't have to convince me of that alright buddy," Brian said assuringly. Nick nodded at him, thankful that he was there for him.

"I'm scared Brian."

"Don't worry Nick, this is all going to be over soon, I promise."

"What if they talk to Kerry?" Nick asked, "she's going to tell them what I did and I don't want to end up here again. I'd do anything to stay out of this place."

"I don't know what's going to happen about that," Brian admitted, "we just have to see what happens. I can't give you any answers Nick, as much as I want to, I just don't know."

"I know," Nick answered softly.

"I mean I don't think Kerry will press charges," Brian said a couple of moments later, "she was there when we took you to the hospital and everything. She knows that you're at least trying to get better and I think that's going to help a lot."

"Not if they really want to arrest me Brian. Rape's a crime," Nick told him.

"She has to press charges for them to do anything and I don't think that she will. As far as your doctor, Nick I have no idea whats going to happen," Brian answered honestly.

"She must have had someone plant that stuff," Nick said softly, Brian looked in at his friend, not really sure what to say to him, "I mean thats the only explainataion that I can think of. I got rid of the last bottle that I had and you packed the bag I sure as hell know that you wouldn't do that to me so that means Maria was the only person or Mark..."

"Who's Mark?"

"This guy I was sharing my room with, but I don't think that he did it. I mean he was there cause he wanted to help. He was even telling me about how he ended up there," Nick answered.

"Nick, I'm just as confussed as you are," Brian confessed.

"Unless he was a spy or something," Nick said suddenly.

"You've been watching too much TV Nick," Brian replied shaking his head, "I don't think that he was a spy. Besides, why would they want to spy on you?"

"Come on Brian, it's cause I'm famous! He was probably some reporter that was out up to it so that he could have a good story," Nick reasoned.

"Please Nick," Brian said, "I don't think that the hospital would be up for that."

"How do you know that Brian??" Nick shouted.

"Woah, Nick relax," Brian said softly, "don't get too angry because then you might do something to hurt your case alright? Look, I'm sure everything is going to be looked into and the police will find out who put that stuff in your bag."

"I hope so because I didn't have anything to do with that," he replied.

"I know," Brian assured him. He didn't know what else to tell him. No matter what he said he knew that he couldn't fix things. There wasn't anything that he could do about the pills that they had found in his bag. Brian knew the moment that he stepped back outside where the officer that was incharges of Nicks case was, he was going to tell him that he had packed the bag himself and he had checked for anything before he even left to go to the clinic.

There was nothing in that bag when Brian had left the house and there was nothing in the bag when Brian was leaving the clinic. He'd seen Nicks empty bottle laying on the kitchen counter so he knew that Nick hadn't brought it in. As an extra precaution, Brian and the other guys had made sure that Nick was only allowed to have certain people visit him so that nothing could be smuggled in. No one other than Brian and AJ had been there to see Nick and AJ wouldn't do anything like that knowing how hard rehab was.

The doctor was really the only person that they could think of, though they couldn't think of a reason why. She was supposed to be there to help people so why would she want to hurt someone. Brian had considered what Nick had said her reasoning was, doing this because he was famous. That didn't make sence thought. Her clinic and her name would be in all the papers and it would end up hurting her name.

"Mr. Littrell," the officer said as he walked into the cell room, "I'm going to have to ask you to leave now."

"Alright," Brian answered as he looked in at Nick, "I'm going to do what I can to get you out of here alright?"

"Please," Nick said softly, "I don't like it here and I'm not sure how much more I can take being in this place."

"You'll be alright," Brian replied as he walked out, leaving Nick alone once again. He sighed and rested his head against the wall behind him. He really hoped that Brian would come through for him fast.

"I don't believe that my client had anything to do with the drugs in his bag," Nicks lawyer, Sean Hamilton, said as Brian walked into the office of the detective that was incharge of Nicks case. Brian didn't say anything as he took a step towards the side so he wouldn't bother Nicks lawyer.

"That's what you're being paid to say Mr. Hamilton," the detective countered. Brian looked over at them, trying to decide weather or not to get involved.

"I only say what I really believe, and it's not because of the money," he replied.

"Mr. Hamilton, your client is an admitted drug addict am I correct?"

"Yes sir, but he was at the clinic, out of his own free will to get some help."

"Okay, how do you know that when he was packing his bag that he didn't slip this stuff in when no one was looking?"

"Because I packed his bag," Brian said without giving Mr. Hamilton the chance to respond, "I went through the bag before I used it. I wanted to make sure that he didn't have anything in there."

"Are you sure that you didn't see anything?" the detective asked.

"Yes, I went through it a few times over," he replied, "a close friend of ours is a recovering alcoholic and he told me that it would be a good idea if I went through the bag before I used it."

"You seem to attrack quite an odd bunch of friends Mr. Littrell," the detective said.

"They just had a lot of problems. My friend was really depressed but he's been clean more than a year now and Nick, he just didn't know how to handle that. He's known this guy for like ten years so it really brought him down," Brian explained, "he doesn't know how to deal with his stress."

"When did he decided that going to the clinic would be a good idea?" he asked leaning foward on his desk.

"A couple of weeks ago. He had just gotten out of the hospital and me and a few of our friends were taking turns staying at his house just to make sure that he was okay. He was able to get some of the pills that he was taking from someone when he was able to talk one of us into going to the store. He took them again and he noticed that Nick had passed out. He called us and we called the clinic. We brought him downstairs and we started to talk to him. At first he didn't want to hear it, he didn't think that there was anything wrong with what he was doing. That's when his ex-girlfriend came in and told him that it would be the best thing to do. He was sort of upset so he went into the kitchen. No one followed him because we thought that he just wanted to blow off some steam. Then a few minutes later, I went into the kitchen to talk to him. He had a knife in his hand and it was at his throat," Brian said becoming slightly choked up about it, "we were able to talk him out of it. Then he willingly went to the clinic. He knew he needed help."

"Well Mr. Littrell if your story is true," the detective answered, "then we still have one important detail missing and that is who did put it in his bag?"